Do Not Sell My Personal Information

toyota auris bulb blows up

Tej

Toyota auris (2016 2nd generation)  - replaced the passenger side brake light bulb that was not working and it now works ok but driver side brake light keeps blowing up every time i change it....have lost 3 bulbs already.......any idea how to fix?

Are the bulbs from the same place ? Are you cleaning the bulb after fitting it, is it the correct type for the car (380 type 5w/21W dual element) it should be a 2 pin bayonet with the pins offset

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/car-bulb-fittings-different-bulb-bases/

the other bulb you fitted must have a fault ??

Suspect you bought the bulb from the same place (poor cheap ones or fake ones). My sister's had the same problem with the halogen bulbs at £8 a pop. Only lasted a week each pop. I asked where she got the bulbs from, she said a work mate got her from a local garage. I then got one from Halfords, knowing it is genuine branded one and it last many years.

33 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Are the bulbs from the same place ? Are you cleaning the bulb after fitting it, is it the correct type for the car (380 type 5w/21W dual element) it should be a 2 pin bayonet with the pins offset

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/car-bulb-fittings-different-bulb-bases/

the other bulb you fitted must have a fault ??

sorry I should have mentioned...bought the pair of bulbs from Halfords...the passenger side works ok...it is the driver side that i have this issue with....i also must mention....the old bulb when i removed it had similar looking white(sh)/ cloudy state that the new one happened to be in when i replaced it...picture attached

toyota.jpg

29 minutes ago, Perfection said:

Suspect you bought the bulb from the same place (poor cheap ones or fake ones). My sister's had the same problem with the halogen bulbs at £8 a pop. Only lasted a week each pop. I asked where she got the bulbs from, she said a work mate got her from a local garage. I then got one from Halfords, knowing it is genuine branded one and it last many years.

thanks...see my reply to Flash22....i bought them from Halfords

On 8/18/2022 at 1:23 PM, Tej said:

bought the pair of bulbs from Halfords.

I would suggest that doesn't guarantee any sort of quality?

Quite possibly cheap tat imported from that far off place starting with "C".:ph34r:

If the same thing happens with a reputable lamp from Osram etc., then there could be an issue other than the lamp.

I'm not stalking you Tony.:laugh:

its a simple circuit, any sort of overload should pop the fuse

what are the markings on that bulb ? It may be the angle, but it only looks like a single element - single terminal on the base ?

6 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

I would suggest that doesn't guarantee any sort of quality?

Quite possibly cheap tat imported from that far off place starting with "C".:ph34r:

If the same thing happens with a reputable lamp from Osram etc., then there could be an issue other than the lamp.

I'm not stalking you Tony.:laugh:

You are absolutely right....I booked a 10 point check at Halfords and I explained my story to the mechanic.....they simply replaced the bulb again and vola! it seemed to work......so you all are correct - do not simply trust quality if bought from Halfords......buy Osram, etc....now I have my MOT for next week and finger crossed will pass 

• Like 1