Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wind deflectors: impact on fuel economy (TS or HB)

Goob

I did search for threads/comments about this (honest) but nothing relevant came up beyond relative merits of Climair vs Heko vs OEM.

While I’m not sold on the aesthetics, I spend enough time sat in the car waiting for people/things to think that wind deflectors might be genuinely useful. I’d probably go with Climair front & rear but can’t find anything definitive about the real-world impact on fuel economy.

Has anyone fitted the Climairs to a TS (or HB) and could you comment on what impact they’ve had on fuel economy either way?

Cheers

Probably because it's so negligible it's impossible to measure except in a lab environment - I can't imagine they'd have any significant effect on fuel economy as they're almost flush and the back end is open so drag would be minimal - I certainly didn't notice any change when I had them in the Mk2; If you tend to drive with your window slightly open it might actually improve economy slightly as it greatly reduces the buffeting and turbulence.

Other benefits were you could wait near trees with the window open without kilograms of crap falling into he car through the window!

I must admit since I got the hybrid I lean on the AC much more; The windows only get opened to let out the hot air before I drive off!

• Like 3

I did loads of searching ten years ago and bought Climair deflectors for the front of my Xantia, they are still as new, never moved and easy to fit. Unlike other makes there are no clips to fit in the channel, they just slide into place, a bit of flexing is needed. You need to gradually close the window and when/if the anti trap triggers, just keep doing it until the window is fully closed. Don’t be tempted to open the window for a couple on days (read one week) and they should never trip the anti trap or fall out.

One of the big advantages is that you can leave the windows open 30mm or so and it’s not obvious from the outside.

• Like 4

Thanks folks. I'll get on with it and order them. Will let you know if the mpg falls off a cliff

• Haha 1

Got heko wind deflectors for 3 years now and no issue at all. Corolla is bad when windows are open too much turbulence. 

I seldom open the windows just rely on AC unit.

Only open the windows when I am parked up and waiting.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2022 at 6:39 PM, Goob said:

Thanks folks. I'll get on with it and order them. Will let you know if the mpg falls off a cliff

Where did you order yours? Are they for Corolla TS as well?

19 hours ago, Hylen said:

Where did you order yours? Are they for Corolla TS as well?

Haven't ordered yet but will be from climairuk.com. And yes, the 'Toyota Corolla 5 door estate 2019 on' versions will fit the Swace

Hi, I'm seriously interested in fitting these to my TREK. Is there any downside re damage/scratching to the edges of the glass or if they are removed later damage/ markings to seals or poor window seal if removed after a year or two.

It was Climair I was considering. Thanks.

These climair deflectors sound pretty been after some for my hatch if they do them.

22 hours ago, pmf said:

Hi, I'm seriously interested in fitting these to my TREK. Is there any downside re damage/scratching to the edges of the glass or if they are removed later damage/ markings to seals or poor window seal if removed after a year or two.

It was Climair I was considering. Thanks.

I don’t know, then again never had a reason to remove um. Never had any issues with the Climair ones that have been on my v6 Xantia for over eight years or Citroen suppled ones on two different C4 Picassos.

I have heko window deflectors on my ts.

Can't really go wrong with them as I've had them on many cars.

IMG_20220524_111059_822.jpg

Fitted the Climair deflectors on Friday. Left them over the weekend before opening windows and the anti-trap hasn't kicked in yet so seems that was long enough. Did find the branding to be excessive (including URL and UK distributer's phone number) so removed with ispropanol, soft paper rag and the thin edge of the supplied installation tool. They look more low-key now so happy with the result. And not noticed any appreciable change in fuel economy either so I guess that's a result.

2CD26494-589F-471A-88A7-AE3AFC3CFFAB.thumb.jpeg.998fc6ea2c0237e6978e70274737f4a6.jpeg98DF59AE-FE99-42B5-8ED0-868783FAE916.thumb.jpeg.301ef41ee2cae4e3751173db4cf12a6a.jpeg48DD8EBC-F2DF-4304-A914-B998216840C8.thumb.jpeg.8a94191af1893c4a63713350ec83c668.jpegCB6E6172-C073-41F6-9FF8-94E1F36D5E79.thumb.jpeg.3839d7e4c88dd8c1c64a5f6fedde4c70.jpeg

14 hours ago, Goob said:

Fitted the Climair deflectors on Friday. Left them over the weekend before opening windows and the anti-trap hasn't kicked in yet so seems that was long enough. Did find the branding to be excessive (including URL and UK distributer's phone number) so removed with ispropanol, soft paper rag and the thin edge of the supplied installation tool. They look more low-key now so happy with the result. And not noticed any appreciable change in fuel economy either so I guess that's a result.

2CD26494-589F-471A-88A7-AE3AFC3CFFAB.thumb.jpeg.998fc6ea2c0237e6978e70274737f4a6.jpeg98DF59AE-FE99-42B5-8ED0-868783FAE916.thumb.jpeg.301ef41ee2cae4e3751173db4cf12a6a.jpeg48DD8EBC-F2DF-4304-A914-B998216840C8.thumb.jpeg.8a94191af1893c4a63713350ec83c668.jpegCB6E6172-C073-41F6-9FF8-94E1F36D5E79.thumb.jpeg.3839d7e4c88dd8c1c64a5f6fedde4c70.jpeg

I called these add-on rain deflector. It is very helpful for very hot weather area like in Spain, Greece, etc. if we have no enclosed garage.  We can open the window a little bit when parking and allow hot air to escape.  This will help the lifespan of the HV Battery and interior when parking under the sun.  It may cause higher wind noise and fuel consumption but probably minor, less than 2% compared to Roofrack ~ 30%. The other alternative is placing windshield cover outside the car from LIDL/ALDI that works well reducing the heat.  Your side and rear windows are factory tinted and reduce solar radiation  at least 50%.