Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

ULEZ Extension Petition

Cyker

Hey all, we're trying to start up a petition to pre-emptively block the ULEZ being extended up to the M25 - Please sign if you also think the ULEZ is stupid!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/622125/sponsors/new?token=onP8qGm7-LV3B2r11tW4

• Like 1

I live in Bristol, its coming in here in November. I have two toyota yaris, both 998cc. One is compliant for caz, one is not (99 not compliant 02 compliant), yet my mates 2.5 litre 01 bmw estate is compliant... go figure. Signed. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, niksgee said:

One is compliant for caz, one is not (99 not compliant 02 compliant)

The 1999 Yaris 1.0 had slightly higher CO2 emissions than the 2002 (141g/km vs 137g/km).

• Like 1

I live in Bristol, its coming in here in November. I have two toyota yaris, both 998cc. One is compliant for caz, one is not (99 not compliant 02 compliant), yet my mates 2.5 litre 01 bmw estate is compliant... go figure. Signed. 

Yeah it's stupid - I had to give up my Mk1 diesel Yaris due to the first extension, yet a colleague with a gigantic 3.5L V6 SUV was somehow okay?? My Mk1 could get 600 miles out of 35-38L, while his needed 70L to do 250-300 miles, yet my car gets the boot for being worse for the environment?

Absolute madness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The 1999 Yaris 1.0 had slightly higher CO2 emissions than the 2002 (141g/km vs 137g/km).

Yes, not a lot in it though (according to tax I pay) my friends bmw pays 200 a year more in tax for his car than the 99 one. Yet his is compliant. 

• Like 1

TBH most of us are convinced it's just a cash grab by the mayor - We know from the bus strike ages ago that the majority of the local pollution is from busses, but the majority of them are still diesel and even a lot of taxis are still diesel.

The diesel busses are old ones too, as they really stink - Even HGVs have been forced to be cleaner and they are relatively smokeless and don't have that nasty diesel small, but the buses... if I'm stuck in traffic near one I can smell it even with the HVAC on recirculate!!

Yet those don't seem like they're being forced out anytime soon, and certainly not at the short notice us drivers and haulage firms had gotten!

Funny thing is there are electric busses, yet only on the routes with the expensive houses... hmmm.

It's just hypocrisy - He doesn't give a damn about the environment, just money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, niksgee said:

Yes, not a lot in it though (according to tax I pay) my friends bmw pays 200 a year more in tax for his car than the 99 one. Yet his is compliant. 

Cannot really compare the vehicle tax bands to the ULEZ/CAZ eligibility.

Vehicle tax, whether the current system where the first year is CO2 emissions based, or the previous system which was just CO2 based, has different criteria to Euro IV. Euro IV is based on CO2 and NOx emissions. 

18 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Cannot really compare the vehicle tax bands to the ULEZ/CAZ eligibility.

Vehicle tax, whether the current system where the first year is CO2 emissions based, or the previous system which was just CO2 based, has different criteria to Euro IV. Euro IV is based on CO2 and NOx emissions. 

WHat about those cars that were not built in EU? Mine was built in japan. I thought tax was based on carbon emissions?

• Like 1

WHat about those cars that were not built in EU? Mine was built in japan. I thought tax was based on carbon emissions?

Unless it is a grey import, it was still built for the European market, so will have needed to meet European emission standards applicable at the time.

The vehicle tax system prior to April 2017, was based on CO2 emissions. 

After April 2017, only the first year is CO2 based. Subsequent years (year 2 onwards), vehicle tax is a standard fee. There are additional payments from year 2 to year 6, for vehicles with a list price over £40,000 at the time they are first registered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would seem from the email I received this afternoon that this is a mayor of London problem and not parliament. 

Maybe a petition to the assembly would help.

If another one is created I am sure all will sign it. 

On 8/19/2022 at 10:32 PM, Cyker said:

Hey all, we're trying to start up a petition to pre-emptively block the ULEZ being extended up to the M25 - Please sign if you also think the ULEZ is stupid!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/622125/sponsors/new?token=onP8qGm7-LV3B2r11tW4

Just got an Email back saying the government can't do anything, "it's about something that the UK government or parliament is not directly responsible for" "It is the responsibility of the Mayor of London and the London Assembly.

All the Petition UK does is to get the issue discussed in Parliament provided signatures reach certain numbers. 

Whether Clean Air Zones and the ULEZ are needed were determined by Local Authority Air Quality Improvement Plans back in 2018, and, although Local Authorities receive some funding for setting up costs from central government, implementation rests with local government.

Booo!

Well that's annoying; Submitting a petition to the mayor is much harder as there isn't a public platform like the gov.uk one - I assume signatures would have to be gathered in a more traditional way then submitted in bulk to a councillor or maybe to the mayor directly (Whereupon he'd just chuck it in the bin, if the previous attempt to petition them to not extend the ULEZ is anything to go by)

I got am email on Tuesday about the petition. This is an extract

The London Assembly has its own petitions process. You can find out more about how to petition the London Assembly here: https://www.london.gov.uk/about-us/london-assembly/petitions We have published the following petition, which you might like to sign: Revoke local government powers to charge CAZ, LEZ, ZEZ and ULEZ: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/618266

• Like 1

I think everyone that signed the petition got that too - I just signed the one about Revoking powers; If my buddy does decide to set up a petition for KHAAAN! directly I'll post back, but they didn't pay any attention to the original one or address any of the concerns in it, so I doubt it's worth the effort as it is a more traditional and labour-intensive petition system (i.e. there isn't a system, all DIY), unlike the easy to access public platform the parliament one has.

We were hoping this one would work better by appealing to a higher authority, but since they have denied any authority over their subordinates, that hasn't worked alas...

Edit: It seems there are a lot of petitions about it on change.org already tho'!

• Like 1

Think change.org is even less effective. 

For example, one petition they are still promoting is Helen's Law, which aims to prevent murderers who refuse to disclose where their victims bodies are, getting parole. 

Only thing is Helen's Law received Royal Assent and became law in November 2020 - so why continue to promote the petition??

• Like 1

change.org petitions are not official ones like the parliament ones - They are just a third-party platform to make it easier to gather signatures.

Unlike the parliament one, there is no official platform to petition the mayor - You have to do it the old fashioned way, i.e. gather signatures somehow and submit them. change.org is the next easiest way of doing this, and was tried for the original extension, but was basically ignored, as it carries no weight.

We were hoping the parliament one would work as we thought they were a higher authority, and if you get enough sigs, parliament are obliged to respond, but there's no similar mechanism with the mayor.

Petitioning the mayor directly has proven to be useless as it requires an open mind and open ear and KHAAAN! has neither of these, as he's apparently hell bent on screwing over drivers who can least afford it under the guise of The Environment, despite studies already calling into question the effectiveness of it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links