Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Yaris Cross Excel Long Term Review


Recommended Posts

I will add one thing.  The new Satnav is comparable with Google or Waze.  It waz difficult to seem any difference with Google throwing up lots of POIs (clutter).  I could only get Android Auto working by wired connection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


17 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Sat nav only works if phone pluged into usb port.

That’s not true in the case of the ‘built in’ sat nav system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The original Yaris Mk4's don't come with a built-in satnav so plugging a phone/tablet in is the only option for satnav! :laugh: 

I think the ones with the new headunit do tho'??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

by  built in you using Toyotas own system then yes

but if you using google maps via your phone thats how it works. 

Toyotas own system is now discontinued.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For clarity: YC smart connect map has the same appearance at Google or Waze though Google has lots on POIs like  businesss cafes petrol stations.  If you want fuel on the smart connect then select fuel, chose your filling station and you are guided there. 

Google did however have the photo image if preferred. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Roy - much appreciation for your  documenting thoughts about your new arrival on this forum. Amazed to hear the economy is already in the 60s. Our Mk3 never managed to better the economy of other small petrol ICE cars, but probably down to driving style. Hope to hear some more reflections in due course. We have the same model on order so will have various questions about the new features, such as the Lane assist, AEB, driving at night and keeping up with motorway traffic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Derek.w said:

by  built in you using Toyotas own system then yes

but if you using google maps via your phone thats how it works. 

Toyotas own system is now discontinued.

Not quite there are multiple systems available and giving answers to posts needs qualification, in this post the discussion is regarding the new Smart connect system which does offer wireless Apple car play but wired Android auto.

Regarding Yaris & Yaris Cross there are 4 possible setups available depending on trim and options

  • MM19 7" screen Touch 2 with wired ACP/AA
  • MM19 8 " screen Touch 2 with wired ACP/AA
  • MM19 8" screen Touch 2 with Go Navigation with wired ACP/AA
  • MM21 9" screen Smart connect with wireless ACP and wired AA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Regarding Yaris & Yaris Cross there are 4 possible setups available depending on trim and options

  • MM19 7" screen Touch 2 with wired ACP/AA
  • MM19 8 " screen Touch 2 with wired ACP/AA
  • MM19 8" screen Touch 2 with Go Navigation with wired ACP/AA
  • MM21 9" screen Smart connect with wireless ACP and wired AA

Well, My Yaris Cross certainly has wireless Android Auto. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Impith said:

Well, My Yaris Cross certainly has wireless Android Auto. 

And mine doesn't, AFAIK.  I only got it working when wired.  I liked the satellite display but the thing I dislike most is the big block of info top left. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yaris Cross Dynamic (Nov 21) with Smart Connect head unit does do AA wireless but it was a pain to set up. It took several goes and only seemed to work after using wired connection

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Baytree said:

Hi Roy - much appreciation for your  documenting thoughts about your new arrival on this forum. Amazed to hear the economy is already in the 60s. Our Mk3 never managed to better the economy of other small petrol ICE cars, but probably down to driving style. Hope to hear some more reflections in due course. We have the same model on order so will have various questions about the new features, such as the Lane assist, AEB, driving at night and keeping up with motorway traffic.

My driving is a lot of urban city, my MK3 hybrid gets better economy than an ice for sure. A few weeks ago for just a short 10 miles journey, managed 74mpg. Was driving very much hybrid like to achieve that of course. Someone I know had a 1.2/1.4 petrol auto polo 2014-2016 gets about 40% less economy. 

So can't wait to get my hands on the mk4 with its better economy and many tech over my icon MK3. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love the cruise control. Different from the Corolla. The buttons are much better tactile, less chance of hitting the wrong segment.  The other difference and, IMHO, excellent is setting the speed.  In the Corolla using ACC the speed was set in +/- 5 increments.  In the YC, short press up or down changes by 1 and long press by 5.

This means if you true desired speed is 70 you can increment your speed by the difference from indicated. 

I have a small GPS speed monitor. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Roy124 said:

.  In the Corolla using ACC the speed was set in +/- 5 increments.  In the YC, short press up or down changes by 1 and long press by 5.

Loving the speed limiter its the first car i have had with it, as you say set it a couple of MPH above the limit and keep your licence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2022 at 10:24 AM, Mojo1010 said:

My driving is a lot of urban city, my MK3 hybrid gets better economy than an ice for sure. A few weeks ago for just a short 10 miles journey, managed 74mpg. Was driving very much hybrid like to achieve that of course. Someone I know had a 1.2/1.4 petrol auto polo 2014-2016 gets about 40% less economy. 

So can't wait to get my hands on the mk4 with its better economy and many tech over my icon MK3. 

 

I think you'll like it :biggrin: 

One of the biggest differences is, with the Mk3 you have to drive economically to get higher mpgs, but with the Mk4 it will still give you good mpgs even if you're driving a bit... enthusiastically :naughty: 

Another, which all the newer gen hybrids seem to do, is they are able to use the EV side much more at higher speeds than the previous gens, and that finally and starkly shoots down and buries that reputation that hybrids have worse mpg on the motorway when normal ICE cars.

I think all cars have a 'natural' mpg they gravitate towards - My Mk1 D4D's was in the low 60's mpg; If I drove 'enthusiastically' I could get it below that but driving normally it would quickly recover to about that - Past there required more frugal driving tactics.

My Mk2 1.33 VVTI was about 45mpg - Getting past the mid-50's was a struggle and even slightly enthusiastic driving would drop it quickly!

The Mk4's natural point seems to be in the low 70's mpg - I've not gotten it below that for long and it quickly recovers when driving normally; Frugal driving gets it into the high-70's/low-80's but it's hard to keep it up there!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That 74mpg was the best return in the 4 years I had the car, condition was right with low traffic on Sunday evening and temp was good without needing AC. Only one other time managed 72mpg on a 25miles trip. Normally it would only get 60-65 in the summer. Can be 50 or even below in the winter with short few miles journey when the engine isn't warm enough. 

Yes cannot wait to get the MK4 with such an array of improvements over the MK3. Mk3 only can go on ev upto 38mph, the MK4 with upto 80mph? on ev is amazing. The lithium ion Battery on the mk4 is smaller than the older MK3 Battery, I wonder what the reason Toyota did not fit the same size on the mk4 as MK3 size, this would surely give it better mpg still. Willing to pay more for extra batteries. It will also give the MK4 more bhp. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It can run on EV up to 80mph, but in practice MG2 doesn't have the grunt to hold the car at such speeds - Past about 60mph you need more assistance from gravity or a tail wind to hold higher speeds on EV alone!

Usually I'd only be getting anywhere near 80 when performing a quick overtake before coasting down to normal cruising speed tho', and being able to hold the accelerator just enough to stay on EV but not fire up the ICE is a game I sometimes play to see how long I can stay above 60mpg on EV alone :laugh: 

It's great on long declines tho', just lift off for a sec to make the car cut in MG2 then feed it just enough power to overcome friction and wind resistance and the car happily will roll down on MG2 alone at 70+ for as long as the downhill lasts :laugh: 

 

The smaller Battery is actually genius - It's smaller and also lithium so is likely a lot lighter than the Mk3's bigger NiMH Battery. I think Toyota realized the car doesn't need a big Battery, as it's not a PHEV, and the smaller battery forces the car to cycle between ICE and battery more often, which allows the ICE to stay hotter, and thus more efficient. (Having owned diesels for ages, I'm acutely aware how much difference a hot engine makes to efficiency!)

It has made the EV-mode button a pointless joke however - I've gotten it to work maybe 2-3 times in the time I've owned the car?? :laugh: 

I must admit I wouldn't mind having the Mk3's battery tho' - Would have probably lowered the price by a good chunk, and also I'd be less paranoid about it randomly catching fire :laugh:  (Blame youtube and friends showing me EV battery safety tests from their work :laugh: )

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2022 at 12:07 PM, Roy124 said:

Love the cruise control. Different from the Corolla. The buttons are much better tactile, less chance of hitting the wrong segment.  The other difference and, IMHO, excellent is setting the speed.  In the Corolla using ACC the speed was set in +/- 5 increments.  In the YC, short press up or down changes by 1 and long press by 5.

This means if you true desired speed is 70 you can increment your speed by the difference from indicated. 

I have a small GPS speed monitor. 

I notice the same improvements over my 2020 Lexus.  The other one is that the auto main beam kicks in at 19 mph rather than 40.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

I must admit I wouldn't mind having the Mk3's battery tho' - Would have probably lowered the price by a good chunk, and also I'd be less paranoid about it randomly catching fire :laugh:  (Blame youtube and friends showing me EV battery safety tests from their work :laugh: )

 

You won't want the MK3 Battery for sure, it will go up to 38mph on EV and will have less bhp, and less mpg. Lithium ion charges faster and release the power quicker I read. 

The MK4 lithium ion is about 25% smaller and 15-20kg lighter than the NiMH. PHEV can achieve great fuel economy so I think extra Battery will increase economy and less concern regarding engine hot enough. Then again I'm not an mechanical engineer so it's an assumption on my part. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Now done 700 miles and still learning. 

Big dislike is the analogue speed needle.  It gets wider at the dial end, 2-3 mph.  I have now switched to Digital. 

Learning more about the Smart Connect and profiles . I have a new idea but will need to check out over the next couple of trips. 

Then Satnav is interesting. It displays the speed limit and is independent from the display on the driver's screen.  At one point in a 30 zone it displayed 50.  It does not always display the limit though. 

When approaching a speed camera, or in a SPECS zone it displays the Satnav speed.  In this car that is about 2-3% lower than indicated. Much more accurate that my Corolla which was 10% in error. 

Then we get a flashing actual speed on orange when exceed the speed limit.  I then noticed that changed to red.  I haven't explored that yet. 

So far, apart from the speed needle we are very happy. 

I also need to seek assistance on hands free.  I can use it accessing History numbers but not Contact list. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always preferred a digital dash... just can't deal with analogue dials any more!! Didn't realize you could switch between the two tho'; I don't think the normal Yaris has that, AFAIK it's digital only unless you get the Icon spec.

 

Edit: AFAIK - As Far As I Know 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update on Phone Calls. 

There are 'safety improvements' over handsfree phone usage compared with my MY19 Corolla. 

If a text message is received it will not be displayed while driving. 

I have not found a way of initiating a call by voice. 

I can call up call history and favourites on the speedometer display but not browse the phones contact list.  To place a call on the contact list you need to use the Smart Connect screen.  IMHO that is not a safer option. 

I suggest that you ensure you create a favourites list before a journey. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With Apple CarPlay you can ask Siri to call someone in your contacts. Siri will read text messages to you and allow you to dictate a reply. I would have thought Android Auto would do similar. If you can't, or don't want to use these, then I guess you have to accept the limitations of the in-built system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership