Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to bypass/blocking EGR for Avensis 2010 2.0D4D?

Waqs

Hi All,

I have this Model and picture below of engine.

I am constantly getting the EML on reading code for EGR fault, I have given it a thorough clean and reset code but it has come back on. The Mechanic told me it could need a replacement, so I wondered instead of this, I rather block it off but needed some assistance.  Could you lot please circle on picture which part of the EGR do I need blocking?

Thanks

Image 1 - Toyota Avensis - Engine (2010) 2.0 Diesel

What code are you getting ?

I cannot remember the actual code but it did read EGR......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Waqs said:

I cannot remember the actual code but it did read EGR......

I remember my older VW group car with VW firmware vcds I turned down egr values so more or less was off it was great put off check engine light on the dash was easy job problem with the Toyota I bought now it's got a dpf so I can't doctor the egr valve no more need one of those avensis without the dpf 

12 hours ago, 2009joe said:

I remember my older VW group car with VW firmware vcds I turned down egr values so more or less was off it was great put off check engine light on the dash was easy job problem with the Toyota I bought now it's got a dpf so I can't doctor the egr valve no more need one of those avensis without the dpf 

There is a way to block them by placing an Aluminium sheet in between, but I am unsure where about I do this. 

Take the EGR valve off and replace the gasket with a blank sheet made from an old drinks can.

You can’t block the EGR as EGR flow is monitored as part of the DPF operation if you block it you will set a fault light and go into limp mode, which may be the issue you have already which is why we need the DTC code you are getting to see what is at fault

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Waqs said:

There is a way to block them by placing an Aluminium sheet in between, but I am unsure where about I do this. 

problem is though if i do will cause the dpf to soot up more faster and clog up .might just have to live with it and just clean out my egr valve and intake manifold some time. plus if problem with dpf .i would take it off and get it put inside one of those dpf cleaning machines where they clean it out with high pressure water and chemicals 

9 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

You can’t block the EGR as EGR flow is monitored as part of the DPF operation if you block it you will set a fault light and go into limp mode, which may be the issue you have already which is why we need the DTC code you are getting to see what is at fault

you are right think only way is blank off egr and have to remap it out but when comes to dpf clogging not sure what best way getting around that with the mot 

On 8/23/2022 at 10:31 PM, Devon Aygo said:

What code are you getting ?

IMG-20220827-WA0013.jpg

Check the egr plug. Mine had a broken pin in it.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 3:39 PM, Waqs said:

IMG-20220827-WA0013.jpg

ok that code is specific to the code reader and I suspect the code reader supplier will require you to pay them somehow to decipher the code into an actual DTC code, however the wording would appear to match P0400 can you PM your chassis #

You can get blanking plates with a hole drilled in them, to pass a smaller amount of exhaust gas, they are sold as EGR restrictor plates. Or drill and deburr about a 6mm hole into a plate by yourself. To be honest, you probably have a different problem that this won't really help. Looking into the P0400 code, the system isn't sensing the amount of gas flow it wants to see. The valve could be sticking. If it is vacuum controlled, then the vacuum line may be leaking. Some are monitored by a temperature sensor, which could be clogged or faulty. The list goes on.

7 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

ok that code is specific to the code reader and I suspect the code reader supplier will require you to pay them somehow to decipher the code into an actual DTC code, however the wording would appear to match P0400 can you PM your chassis #

Assuming I'm correct with P0400 there is a Technical service bulletin from Toyota for this issue and it would affect your Avensis as it replaces the aluminium rocker cover with a revised plastic one to improve oil vapour separation prior to the EGR it also involves a deep clean of the EGR & intake manifold 

EG-0018T-0212

Subject: 08-AD engine: P0400 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow

Models: AURIS; AVENSIS; COROLLA; VERSO; TOYOTA RAV4

Model codes: ADE150; ADE157; ADT270; ADT271; ADE150; AUR20; AUR21; ALA30; ALA35

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may experience and report about lack of power. MIL will be "ON" with the Diagnostic Trouble Code P0400 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow) stored.

PRODUCTION CHANGE Cylinder head cover design has been changed to improve oil separating performance.

image.thumb.png.f86bbdd33a270d91356a6aebdf7062bf.png

image.thumb.png.dcbf673806edce07a268a230295da61c.png