Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeaky clutch pedal driving me insane. Halp!

The23rdman

Love almost everything about my Yaris 1.8 SR, but the squeak coming from my clutch pedal is making me lose the will to live. I have lubricated the spring with lithium grease and it's made zero difference. I'm not sure what else could be causing the problem. Any ideas?

• Sad 1

Any chance of the moving pedal causing some plastic trim to move?

There is a nut and bolt that goes through the pedal at the very top, the bolt goes through a bush, I wonder if that bush is worn? Or maybe the noise is not from the pedal, perhaps from the master cylinder and transmitting down the pedal? 

3 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

There is a nut and bolt that goes through the pedal at the very top, the bolt goes through a bush, I wonder if that bush is worn? Or maybe the noise is not from the pedal, perhaps from the master cylinder and transmitting down the pedal? 

That’s possible. It’s just so hard to get in there to see properly. I’m pretty sure it’s something in the cabin area because before I tried the lithium grease I used silicone liberally around the general area and it worked for a few days. 

13 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Any chance of the moving pedal causing some plastic trim to move?

No, it’s not that, but I like the out of the box thinking. 👍🏻

Okay, so it’s clearly louder with the door open which suggests it’s in the engine bay. 

Sounds like a two man job, one pumping the pedal whilst you have the bonnet up listening where the squeak is coming from 

6 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Sounds like a two man job, one pumping the pedal whilst you have the bonnet up listening where the squeak is coming from 

It’s in for a service this morning, so I’ll get them to sort it. 

• Like 1

Well, that service was expensive. I noticed the rear nearside corner was sagging a bit when I took it in. Needs coil springs on the back, and they're not cheap for this model. Also the clutch is on the way out.

I guess that's the way of it with a car with 80k on the clock.

Quite common on those for springs to snap 

• Like 1

Anyone recommend a decent clutch kit that's not gonna break the bank? Are Fensport parts okay?

They are more sports parts and therefore more expensive, get a Blueprint or ADL from a local supplier, it will be much cheaper 

Just now, Parts-King said:

They are more sports parts and therefore more expensive, get a Blueprint or ADL from a local supplier, it will be much cheaper 

The kit I found on their site is the cheapest I could see anywhere.

22 minutes ago, The23rdman said:

The kit I found on their site is the cheapest I could see anywhere.

How much? Is it a 3 in 1 kit? Check Euro Car parts out or a local GSF store

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 4:45 PM, Parts-King said:

I decided to follow your advice and have sourced a Blue Print from eBay. I chose a seller with an exemplary 100% feedback score of over 47 thousand items, so I'm pretty confident I'll get what I'm paying for.

Missed this thread earlier. On the Mk1 (and on my car) one particular squeak occurs where the clutch slave cylinder contacts the clutch fork. Very awkward to get to, but if you're getting the clutch done, ask the garage to grease this and the pivot properly (and carefully!)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

Missed this thread earlier. On the Mk1 (and on my car) one particular squeak occurs where the clutch slave cylinder contacts the clutch fork. Very awkward to get to, but if you're getting the clutch done, ask the garage to grease this and the pivot properly (and carefully!)

Mine is the MK2. Same issue?

17 minutes ago, The23rdman said:

Mine is the MK2. Same issue?

Most clutch kits comes with a pouch of grease. You'd put small amounts of it on any parts that move against each other (no, not the friction material). You can also get squeaks where the slave pushrod presses on the fork. This is often more exposed to the elements. I'm sure your mechanic knows.

• Like 1

Just now, APS said:

Most clutch kits comes with a pouch of grease. You'd put small amounts of it on any parts that move against each other (no, not the friction material). You can also get squeaks where the slave pushrod presses on the fork. This is often more exposed to the elements. I'm sure your mechanic knows.

Yes, I assumed that too. He’s never let me down in a decade. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to bring closure to this thread, I had the clutch replaced last week and it’s smooth as now. £135 for the clutch and £288 for labour was less than I expected, so I’m happy. 

• Like 2

Flippin' heck that's cheap!! :eek: 

I've never paid less than £600 for a clutch job on my old Mk1 diesel!! And that was a good deal! (Mr T wanted over £1200!! :eek: )

Where was this done??

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Flippin' heck that's cheap!! :eek: 

I've never paid less than £600 for a clutch job on my old Mk1 diesel!! And that was a good deal! (Mr T wanted over £1200!! :eek: )

Where was this done??

I’ve used the same mechanic for ten years - he’s in Northampton. I sourced the clutch myself (ADL blueprint), and the labour was six hours at £45. 

It’s Auto Solutions Northampton. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links