Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV ... Surprisingly poor service from Toyota

Nick72

Booked in for...

1 year service

ESC recall

Plus, update all software and set up long press on fob to open or close all windows.

So, there were more check-ins and repetitions in filing out online forms, 3 phones calls to repeat what I wanted and confirming time plus text messages. Hence should have been zero doubt on what needed doing.

Alas, I gets a phone message I missed the day before about Aircon recharge? WTH. Same at the service desk when I dropped it off for the 8.30 appointment time (doors not opened until 8.33am and they open at 8.30 and I'd been there since 8.15am ...but no big deal). Hadn't realised that the doors would be shut if I came a little early. So I repeats myself on what needs doing for about the 3rd or 4th time.

Gets a call later that day. Not been able to sort the recall on the ESC, would need to rebook. Ok, I'm now mad. No explanation I could understand provided other than it needs the master technician. Pretty sure the master technicians availability should have been checked when I booked it in and faffed about with my crazy chocka diary. Ffs. Gets to the car. No free wash and vac performed as offered and as said yes to (I turfed out all my stuff for them to sort this and the car was packed with gear). Long fob press doesn't work. Same as was. 

They said the maps and infotainment software is already up to date. I'll take their word for it.

So basically they've not done one of the main things it was booked in for and one of the things I wanted.

Always been brilliant in the past on the wife's previous Toyota car for 8 years. Seems like it has gone down hill or I was just unlucky. Not what I expect from Toyota. If I wanted chaotic cluless fwit service I would get a Peugeot again 🤣. Or maybe because it is a company car they don't give a poo.

How are your experiences with your dealership?

• Sad 1

Garages are a bit like small children ... give them one and only one thing to do and there's a reasonable chance that they'll do it; give them more than one thing to do and it's likely that they'll get distracted and confused, and complete none of the assigned tasks ...

😉

• Like 4

Beginning to get mine into shape - being firm but friendly.

• Like 1

Well, the service experience wouldn't have been from Toyota, as per the title, but the dealer.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Well, the service experience wouldn't have been from Toyota, as per the title, but the dealer.

Well true but Toyota endorse and authorise the dealerships? Ergo they are emissaries of their master org.

• Like 2

Then again it would be more useful for members to know the specific dealer/dealer group as regards their future servicing.

Bit like saying you had a bad experience at Tesco, but not saying which store .....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

Toyota endorse and authorise the dealerships? Ergo they are emissaries of their master org.

Then again it would be more useful for members to know the specific dealer/dealer group as regards their future servicing.

Bit like saying you had a bad experience at Tesco, but not saying which store .....

• Like 1

I was fairly pleased with this service I got (this was from Reading Toyota) for 1st service. I'd written on the notes to perform the update to fix the foghorn sound when cold, which they claim to have done (no way of telling until it get's cold again). They flagged up the ESC update themselves, so assume that's been done (not sure if I can tell or not). Got the free wash (without being asked, I'd meant to ask them not to wash the car, I prefer to do that myself, and they didn't do a very good job of it). Also I asked them to sort the wobbly charger port door - they had to order the part, which is now in, and booked to go back in September (I had to book ahead over a month to get an appointment with a courtesy car or while you wait which seems ridiculous - those should be standard options?)

Wish the mileage intervals were greater - 10K seems very low for a modern car, especially considering it's mostly driven in EV mode, so the engine/oil doesn't get much use (or stress when it is used). Previous VW group cars all had long life servicing, where the car determines when it needs a service based on usage/engine oil analysis - typically around 18K/24 months. Shame Toyota don't offer a similar option, would seem even more sensible on a PHEV where potentially the engine doesn't get much use and/or is used in a less stressful manner than an ordinary ICE. Short intervals on the RAV4 do increase costs and hassle of ownership.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nick72 said:

If I wanted chaotic cluless fwit service I would get a Peugeot again 

To be fair my local Peugeot main dealer is still useless plus also I was banned from there about 10+ years ago 🤣

I found the Peugeot dealer in the next town I dealt with was a totally different experience.

FWIW I'd never own another Stellantis product.

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Booked in for...

1 year service

ESC recall

Plus, update all software and set up long press on fob to open or close all windows.

So, there were more check-ins and repetitions in filing out online forms, 3 phones calls to repeat what I wanted and confirming time plus text messages. Hence should have been zero doubt on what needed doing.

Alas, I gets a phone message I missed the day before about Aircon recharge? WTH. Same at the service desk when I dropped it off for the 8.30 appointment time (doors not opened until 8.33am and they open at 8.30 and I'd been there since 8.15am ...but no big deal). Hadn't realised that the doors would be shut if I came a little early. So I repeats myself on what needs doing for about the 3rd or 4th time.

Gets a call later that day. Not been able to sort the recall on the ESC, would need to rebook. Ok, I'm now mad. No explanation I could understand provided other than it needs the master technician. Pretty sure the master technicians availability should have been checked when I booked it in and faffed about with my crazy chocka diary. Ffs. Gets to the car. No free wash and vac performed as offered and as said yes to (I turfed out all my stuff for them to sort this and the car was packed with gear). Long fob press doesn't work. Same as was. 

They said the maps and infotainment software is already up to date. I'll take their word for it.

So basically they've not done one of the main things it was booked in for and one of the things I wanted.

Always been brilliant in the past on the wife's previous Toyota car for 8 years. Seems like it has gone down hill or I was just unlucky. Not what I expect from Toyota. If I wanted chaotic cluless fwit service I would get a Peugeot again 🤣. Or maybe because it is a company car they don't give a poo.

How are your experiences with your dealership?

Very sad and frustrating. I do think that there are generally communication issues between front of house, reception, and the fitters. It’s the old game of stage whispers ‘send reinforcements we are going to advance’ and what gets heard is ‘send 3 and 4 pence we are going to a dance’.

My Toyota dealer is probably average, generally OK. My Skoda dealer was so good in comparison, just brilliant.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Well I'd rather not reveal my location other than North West of England. To be fair they called me today to ask how I felt the service went. I told them poor. Half a job and didn't wash or hoover the car as they said they would in the online check in. They are raising the issue with their management and coming back to me. 

9 hours ago, forkingabout said:

To be fair my local Peugeot main dealer is still useless plus also I was banned from there about 10+ years ago 🤣

I found the Peugeot dealer in the next town I dealt with was a totally different experience.

FWIW I'd never own another Stellantis product.

Me neither 🤣 they were utter garbage and the dealership ibdealt with was shockingly incompetent and just could not be bothered. Toyota is a different league despite a half ubikd attempt at my visit.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Very sad and frustrating. I do think that there are generally communication issues between front of house, reception, and the fitters. It’s the old game of stage whispers ‘send reinforcements we are going to advance’ and what gets heard is ‘send 3 and 4 pence we are going to a dance’.

My Toyota dealer is probably average, generally OK. My Skoda dealer was so good in comparison, just brilliant.

Frustrating because they were brilliant with the wife's last car over 8 years. Much better than Mini - BMW which is what she has now. 

The Comms issue is bizarre. I told them on the phone when I booked it, I told them again when they confirmed, I told them again on the e-check in, and told them again when they rang me up again, and told them again when I dropped the car off. What's the point of all that confirmation if they still don't do half of it and even fail to wash n vac the car which they shouldn't even need telling about at all. Crazy.

Will be October now before I get back there. Diary is just too busy with domestic, international business etc.  Grrrr

12 hours ago, spicyhotone said:

I was fairly pleased with this service I got (this was from Reading Toyota) for 1st service. I'd written on the notes to perform the update to fix the foghorn sound when cold, which they claim to have done (no way of telling until it get's cold again). They flagged up the ESC update themselves, so assume that's been done (not sure if I can tell or not). Got the free wash (without being asked, I'd meant to ask them not to wash the car, I prefer to do that myself, and they didn't do a very good job of it). Also I asked them to sort the wobbly charger port door - they had to order the part, which is now in, and booked to go back in September (I had to book ahead over a month to get an appointment with a courtesy car or while you wait which seems ridiculous - those should be standard options?)

Wish the mileage intervals were greater - 10K seems very low for a modern car, especially considering it's mostly driven in EV mode, so the engine/oil doesn't get much use (or stress when it is used). Previous VW group cars all had long life servicing, where the car determines when it needs a service based on usage/engine oil analysis - typically around 18K/24 months. Shame Toyota don't offer a similar option, would seem even more sensible on a PHEV where potentially the engine doesn't get much use and/or is used in a less stressful manner than an ordinary ICE. Short intervals on the RAV4 do increase costs and hassle of ownership.

Bit of a hi-jack on the thread. When were the charge door parts ordered? I've been waiting nine weeks and potentially a further seven weeks to go.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Bit of a hi-jack on the thread. When were the charge door parts ordered? I've been waiting nine weeks and potentially a further seven weeks to go.

Service was early July. I got a call about a month later to say the part had arrived, but then had to wait a further month for convenient appointment to fit it. We shall have to wait & see if it's the correct part of course!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Has the flap flopped yet William?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Has the flap flopped yet William?

No flap flopped fank goodness 🤣. Drooped yes, flopped no - not quite sure which would be worse 🤣.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

No flap flopped fank goodness 🤣. Drooped yes, flopped no - not quite sure which would be worse 🤣.

Flop must be worse than a droop....No? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My flopage hasn't got any worse. It begs the question whether there are a limited number of defective hinge mechanisms or the replacement parts will do the same. I doubt there has been any redesign at this fairly early stage of production.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nlee said:

My flopage hasn't got any worse. It begs the question whether there are a limited number of defective hinge mechanisms or the replacement parts will do the same. I doubt there has been any redesign at this fairly early stage of production.

Let's face it it is a poor piece of engineering and much larger than necessary to do the job, it's an accident waiting to happen. I can see this being an issue over the years even if you get a good one to start with. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nlee said:

After a certain age the floppage probably becomes constant 🤣

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Nick72 said:

After a certain age the floppage probably becomes constant 🤣

Gravity is no friend of the old!

• Haha 3

Gravity works better the older you get. :sad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1