Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car left on

Joy Dean

I have been woken up by engine running noise then it stopped then a little later it-did it  again , it turned out to be my Yaris and the power was on , but had not made any bleeping when I locked the doors in the afternoon ? 

• Like 2

I thought I was dreaming it the other night, my aircon pump suddenly started running. Car parked on my drive - bedroom windows wide open due to the heat. Car was locked and this happened around 2:40am. 
Pump ran for approx 1 minute then switched off just as I’d gone downstairs and unlocked the car with the remote. 
This was Sat night just gone. 

• Like 2

Hopefully wasn't attempts to steal your cars guys using a scanner.

No CCTV pictures, etc ?

Leaving the car ON can happen but there are always audio signals when closing doors and the car is in ready mode plus headlights will be ON too. , you won’t be able to lock the car from outside if the car is on.

Air con can’t turn itself ON if the car is off and locked. The noise that the car can produce while stationary and sound like ac would be the electric brake booster but that will happen only if you unlock the car and open the drivers door. 

• Like 2

If the car is on, it will not lock and doesn't beep to tell you, you may have thought you locked it, but it never flashed the indicators - i have done it myself, but realized something was wrong as my mirrors didn't fold nor did the indicators flash

• Like 1

Could it be your cars are app-connected and there's some sort of pre-conditioning schedule set up...?

• Like 3

I have yet to take delivery of my Yaris but it is connected,  on Monday it was moved from pound to garage.   On Tuesday I saw the keys were in the car and unlocked.   Wednesday it was locked. 

I see I can also get the climate control to run for 10, 15 or 20 minutes  but doing see a schedule option. 

I am tempted to flash the lights 😁

• Haha 4

We get this quite a bit with Hybrids, especially people living in the country who are not as concerned about locking the car. They hear the car running in the night, what's happened is they have not switched it off 🤦‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I can see that happening if they ignore/don't hear the shrill beeping it makes when you walk off with the keys - I've nearly done it a few times!

In my case I'm sure a neighbour would knock on my door to complain they couldn't sleep because the main beams were burning through their curtains if I had :laugh: 

• Haha 2

I have a regular who lives in the middle of nowhere, he never locks the car, but also he never closes it properly, even the AA are fed up with going out to a flat Battery, he won't have it that he is not shutting the car properly, despite any number of peeps going to it and showing the door not fully closed.........deaf as a post too 🙄

• Haha 3

Maybe submit a request to Toyota for a firmware update that makes it flash its hazards and main beam if it's not locked and left on :laugh: 

Or maybe next time he services it with you, you can get the service department to swap his horn for that boat horn you love posting so much? Maybe he'll hear that! :naughty: :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

you can get the service department to swap his horn for that boat horn you love posting so much? Maybe he'll hear that! :naughty: :laugh: 

It's a Train horn actually :crybaby:..........................here we go.................

• Haha 3

Just to confirm, the ign was off - car locked when this occurred. 
Upon opening the bonnet, the AC pipe was covered in condensation and freezing to the touch. 

This has happened twice now.  

Then it must have been in ready mode surely for the A/C to be working? 

• Like 3

Ah you have the digital ghost edition - a weak Battery could do it or a module not going to sleep when it's told

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

I can see that happening if they ignore/don't hear the shrill beeping it makes when you walk off with the keys - I've nearly done it a few times!

I have continuous tinnitus and often don't hear various higher pitch beeps made by cars and various domestic appliances.

Fortunately the ones the car uses when it's really upset are low enough (or have components low enough) and loud enough to usually get my attention.

I attest that it is perfectly possible to exit the car and 'lock'  it with out hearing any beeps.   You just need to be hard of hearing and agile.  😄

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

I have continuous tinnitus and often don't hear various higher pitch beeps made by cars and various domestic appliances.

Fortunately the ones the car uses when it's really upset are low enough (or have components low enough) and loud enough to usually get my attention.

It does somehow contrive to sound quite petulant - Mother-in-law crossed with R2D2 vibes :laugh: 

• Haha 1

This is one of the many reasons to upgrade my MK3 to Mk4 so it has folding mirrors when locked. I sometimes in my old age don't know whether I locked the car as i walked away. Even worse is if it's parked in a shopping centre/supermarket car park and I don't know whether I have locked it when in the shops haha. 

• Like 1

Funnily enough I used to consider electric folding wing mirrors a pointless feature, but I have been using them for the exact purpose you say, and even folded them in a few times to give me a bit more margin when squeezing past idiot drivers, and now I consider them actually useful! :laugh: 

• Like 4

Only ever had folding mirrors on my old Lexus and the CRV,both manually activated rather than automatically.

And yes, very useful when manoeuvring around the spacial awareness challenged.

Usually accompanied by a massive entitlement complex.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

This is one of the many reasons to upgrade my MK3 to Mk4 so it has folding mirrors when locked. 

Some mk3s, like mine, have this. It's not exclusively a MK4 option.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeSh said:

True. My last Mk3 2017 Excel Yaris had it.

• Like 2

Is it possible that there's a bug in the new versions of app?   Technically is it possible to remote start aircon from the app on some new Yaris. 

So if some bug exists, the car could get in somw way a false request to start aircon.

Else yiur car is fainted like the one of a famous Stephen King novel....  You can try with some exorcirm 😁

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, MikeSh said:

5 hours ago, CPN said:

True. My last Mk3 2017 Excel Yaris had it.

Did not know that. I wonder if it's on the excel from 2017 or just some excel, that would be strange. I know some people retrofit the power folding for the mirrors. Just never seen it advertised even on the excel models. 

• Like 1