Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Toyota Prius Plus (Alpha) tyres


joysleep1
 Share

Recommended Posts

HI peeps

First time on here to please go easy. I have purchased a 2012 Japanese prius alpha that is now in the garage being converted. I wanted to ask which tyres would be best suited for this vehicle. The ones that are on there a super bold and need to be changed so i want to get some good ones but there are many premium tyres to choose from and i do not know which one is good or not

Premium Tyres

This is the section which has the best ones. Any advice? 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • FROSTYBALLS changed the title to Toyora Prius Plus (Alpha) tyres

Muhammad, the Toyo tyres fitted to my 2016 Prius Excel when I bought it new weren’t very good so after they wore out in less than 20000 miles I replaced them with Michelin Cross Climate tyres. Brilliant n the snow, bad weather & just as good for dry weather as well. Just replaced only the front tyres at 44000+miles so well pleased. Regarding quality I do like Michelin but I’m sure the other companies like Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone etc all have decent quality premium tyres so the choice is up to you. I do get the impression, particularly with tyres, you get what you pay for!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi

Thanks for your input. Yh i heard good things about the Michelin. Bare in mind i live in London so i am never really going to drive in snow. So in that case, would Michelin still be a suitable tyre for my situation.

Mainly Dry weather but yh Winter time it does rain.
 Also, How important is the fuel and wet grip grading sysytem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it depends what you mean by 'best'. Like, if money is no object then the Michelin Pilot Sport or Primacy are generally considered the best normal tyres.

If you want all-season tyres, I consider the Michelin Cross Climate range the best if you're more south of UK and Goodyear Vector 4Seasons if more north.

As I'm a cheapskate, best for me tends to be the Goodyear Efficient Grip and Hankook Ventus Prime as they are cheaper but still pretty good.

If you want best rain performance, Uniroyal RainExpert are generally considered the best rain tyre.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Well it depends what you mean by 'best'. Like, if money is no object then the Michelin Pilot Sport or Primacy are generally considered the best normal tyres.

If you want all-season tyres, I consider the Michelin Cross Climate range the best if you're more south of UK and Goodyear Vector 4Seasons if more north.

As I'm a cheapskate, best for me tends to be the Goodyear Efficient Grip and Hankook Ventus Prime as they are cheaper but still pretty good.

If you want best rain performance, Uniroyal RainExpert are generally considered the best rain tyre.

 

Hmm fair enough about "best". I mean like most reliable and long lasting. I mean surely they all have decenet grip rating and fuel efficency. I dont know if i should take weather into account becuase i live in South London and hardly do that much long driving. Might go to Birmingham and other far cities twice a year. 

I never really go further than that. I have also heard good things about Goodyear but again some of them are similar to michelin with similar ratings so dunno which to pick. 

When you say rain performance, what do you mean. How would michelin or Goodyear tyres differ than UNIROYAL in the rain. I mean the car will still drive and break as in when needed so what charateristic has UNIROYAL got that makes them well suited for rain?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's just their thing, so they optimize the tyre for rain use and they must do a good job as they consistently win or at least place very high in anything to do with rain - Wet braking, wet handling, aquaplaning etc., and they're quite cheap too, but they wear a bit faster and don't do as well in the dry as normal summer tyres.

We're only talking small differences tho' - You'd have to look at the tyrereviews website and see all the tests for more detail!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

That's just their thing, so they optimize the tyre for rain use and they must do a good job as they consistently win or at least place very high in anything to do with rain - Wet braking, wet handling, aquaplaning etc., and they're quite cheap too, but they wear a bit faster and don't do as well in the dry as normal summer tyres.

We're only talking small differences tho' - You'd have to look at the tyrereviews website and see all the tests for more detail!

 

Hmm i see.

Such a hard choice because all the premium types are similar price range all look equally good so i am gonna spend a lot on a 4 tyres but just have no idea which one to pick.

I want the one that is going to last the longest ideally. I am not sure if i should be looking at the statistics and ratings etc becuase the difference is marginal in that aspect i think!

Would love to hear specifically prius plus owners and what tyes they choose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah the Michelins especially tend to be the most expensive, but they are good and last longer than most other tyres. ATS Euromaster still have a massive discount on Michelins so if you get all 4 done there will save a good chunk of money.

Otherwise, for decent but not as expensive as the super premium tyres, I tend to look at Goodyear, Dunlop and Hankook.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apart from the extremes, I find that the ratings don't really make a huge difference one way or the other. Reading reviews is also not that informative. People generally don't do side-by-side comparison as they no longer have the old tyres and many are simply just happy to have new tyres on their car and would not want to admit they've spent money on tyres that are worse than their old ones.<cynical> 

Longevity on its own would not be a criterion I'd care too much about. Cheap, hard tyres could last really long but be very noisy and have poor grip. 

My advice: As with most things. in life, you get what you pay for. And what you pay for is a tyre to carry you and your loved ones safely from A to B. It's the only thing that hold you to the road. buy the best you can afford.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally! I had some Cooper CS2's on my Mk1 D4D once - Lasted for ages, which was a shame because I wanted to get rid of them half-way through their life!

The performance just dropped off a cliff, car became hilariously understeery in the wet and any surface that wasn't totally clean (Dust, mud, small stones etc.).

Easily the worst tyres I've ever had!

Michelin are unusual as they design their tyres to maintain performance while also having good longevity, and they are reputed to hold that performance down to very low tread depths, whereas most tyres I've driven on (Hankook having the biggest change so far) noticeably loose wet performance but slightly gain dry performance as they wear down.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Goodyear efficient grip performance 2, probably one of the best summer tyres available. I have these on my Auris hybrid now over 70k miles still have 4-5mm tread left, they handle any conditions with ease dry, wet, cornering, stopping and accelerating are nice and precise, plus they lasts ages. They are also quiet and comfortable. I had Prius like yours with Bridgestone and then with Yokohama , but Goodyear are better ones. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bear in mind that, in Europe, Goodyear own the Dunlop brand, so tyres from both brands are likely to be very similar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have any of you guys ever bought tyres from Asda tyres online? It seems they offer best prices currently and next day available to fit in local garage. I am reading reviews and few people not happy with the service , some are saying that the garage fit old dot tyres to them and some which looked like old stock or been previously fitted. My tyres on the other hand asking for extra £8 per tyre to guarantee latest dot ., simple things and been usual now are extras?! There might be black circles and just tyres who offer old school service or buying directly from local shop at higher price. Costco also charge extra for fittings plus does not have wide choice. Seems like even tyres purchase went down in terms of prices , service and general experience . 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

ATS Euromaster still have a massive discount on Michelins

Probably not surprising as ATS Euromaster (and Black Circles) are owned by Michelin ....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Devon Aygo changed the title to Toyota Prius Plus (Alpha) tyres
On 8/27/2022 at 12:25 AM, TonyHSD said:

Goodyear efficient grip performance 2, probably one of the best summer tyres available. I have these on my Auris hybrid now over 70k miles still have 4-5mm tread left, they handle any conditions with ease dry, wet, cornering, stopping and accelerating are nice and precise, plus they lasts ages. They are also quiet and comfortable. I had Prius like yours with Bridgestone and then with Yokohama , but Goodyear are better ones. 

Wow thats impressive . So i am debating whether to get the Michelin or with Goodyear. 

If i can get 70k miles with my prius alpha then i would be very pleased. 

Thanks for your input everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, joysleep1 said:

Wow thats impressive . So i am debating whether to get the Michelin or with Goodyear. 

If i can get 70k miles with my prius alpha then i would be very pleased. 

Thanks for your input everyone.

Remember, mines are motorway miles and they are easy going , in London things are slightly different and if you are able to get 30-40k miles out of one set of tyres its perfect 👍

For the tyre make both Michelin and Goodyear are top brands, therefore you can't go wrong with either, check prices and decide for yourself. If you want Michelin check ats has offers if you want Goodyear check just tyres they have best prices.

Regards 👍

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi guys. 

 

So I have a slight issue. 

I plan to purchase a full android kit which has a tyre pressure monitor system. 

This particular one is an internal so I'll get the person to install it when I purchase the new tyres but I heard its good practice to rotate tyres every 6k miles or so. 

This would then mean I have to keep moving the sensor right? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, joysleep1 said:

Hi guys. 

 

So I have a slight issue. 

I plan to purchase a full android kit which has a tyre pressure monitor system. 

This particular one is an internal so I'll get the person to install it when I purchase the new tyres but I heard its good practice to rotate tyres every 6k miles or so. 

This would then mean I have to keep moving the sensor right? 

You will need to read instructions of the kit you are installing , when rotating the tyres with tams if tams system shows each tyre location this needs to be changed too to have correct tyre pressure  shown on screen. Why do you need this extra at all? Its just complicated thing , buy yourself a proper gauge Michelin and check pressures once in a while. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

You will need to read instructions of the kit you are installing , when rotating the tyres with tams if tams system shows each tyre location this needs to be changed too to have correct tyre pressure  shown on screen. Why do you need this extra at all? Its just complicated thing , buy yourself a proper gauge Michelin and check pressures once in a while. 

Its nice to have a monitor to check my tyre pressure at all times. I can't be asked to get the pump out and check it every time. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership