Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Use Android Auto or not?

Rob Barsby

My new 2.0 Corolla Touring Sports is being delivered this Thursday, 1st September🤞. I'm concerned about the quality of the Sat Nav, especially when I'm currently using an excellent system in my 2019 VRS Skoda. Is it worth messing about with Android Auto or persevere and get used to the inbuilt system? 

The Toyota sat nav is fine while being kept up to date. I have switched to Google Maps rather than pay for updates and there isn't much to choose between them. The big benefit of the Toyota system is that it doesn't need an internet connection to calculate a route - something brought home to me recently.

• Like 2

Thanks for your swift reply. I didn't think about the possible Internet problem. Very relevant, especially up here in rural North East Scotland. 

24 minutes ago, Rob Barsby said:

Thanks for your swift reply. I didn't think about the possible Internet problem. Very relevant, especially up here in rural North East Scotland. 

Not just there. I encountered the problem near Manchester at Tarporley. I'd had no problems in Dumfries and Galloway during my week's holiday, lol.

• Like 1

Just use the sat nav which come with it and see how it go. My Yaris doesn't come with nav so I normally use a standalone Garmin for journeys of 90mins+, as I don't want my phone Battery to weaken too quickly over time if always using nav on the phone for medium to long journeys. 

We were is North Wales in may, our accommodation on a farm didn't really have much phone signal and driving to Snowdon too. Could use offline maps, though it's still phone always on etc. 

Still have AA/ACP as they are good for live traffic info. 

• Like 1

The latest Smart Connect sat nav system seems decent enough - used it for the first time last week & even got spoken warnings of standing traffic a mile ahead.

It got me to the destination without a magical mystery tour unlike the useless much complained about Tom Tom system Peugeot uses that just ignores the users preference settings & does what it wants 🙄

• Like 1

Thanks Mojo1010. That's what I was thinking - give the car Sat Nav a try and see if I get used to it.

I've never tried android auto, no idea what it does that the car can't already do.

Hi Obsidian Estate. I feel that you shouldn't have to use Android Auto but the Toyota display is like going back decades. When I commeted, even the sales guy said that most people use Apple Carplay or Android. Interesting to see that the 2023 spec has an upgraded system. Perhaps I've been spoilt by the VW group's excellent system. Fingers crossed that I'll get used to my new one.

2 hours ago, Obsidian Estate said:

I've never tried android auto, no idea what it does that the car can't already do.

Read your Audible books, Play Amazon music or Spotify, read your what's app or signal app messages & allow you to reply - amongst other functions.

Android auto with voice activation / control is excellent.

Customize your compatible app selection on your phone & then there displayed on the touch screen.

• Like 2

I use a memory stick for music.

I'm too tight to pay for data to use Spotify 🤣

I to have a USB memory stick for music - unfortunately Toyota only fit 1 x USB port & allow 1 x USB device to be connected at once.

My Previous Peugeot had 2 x USB ports connected to the infotainment system so wireless Android Auto & USB memory stick could both be left connected - 3 USB ports if you count the unused ( in my vehicle ) data communication module port. 

I paid for the AA implementation on my Corolla.  Didn't like it and stopped using it.  Had other issues with it and just use the Toyota system.  Works OK but best if you plan your route and basically force it on to your route. 

Garmin was mentioned: I have a maps for life one with excellent voice input. If going to an unknown village No 1 High Street, or Main or Church usually works. In comparison Toyota demands a fine detail and then fails.

I also carry a paper map. 

Andrue mentioned maps being up to date. 

One day I suddenly notice a road was displayed with two heavy black lines.  I guessed road closed.  A day later it was gone.  I think therefore it was an OTA closure. 

Then a main link road through Grantham appeared with black lines too and is still 'closed'. The only alternative is along the new bypass. 

Unfortunately the bridge over the river is a future event when the overcome the soft ground and they have yet to lay  the road. 

I think this is also an OTA update that someone has forgotten to switch off. 

The newer Smart Connect system uses live mapping data via the DCM so technically it should be always up to date with new roads / traffic / road works / closures etc.

Should be 4 years free subscription with a new Toyota in UK. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Obsidian Estate said:

Not a great deal to be honest. The only reason I use it is to get Google Maps on the infotainment display. I already use Rocket Player via bluetooth so I have music continuity anyway for when I'm not using satnav and don't want the hassle of plugging the phone in.

I noticed yesterday that when using Apple maps the turn by turn direction appear on the pop up on the dash at roughly 2 miles in advance and then on the hud at 300m in advance.  This is without preselecting nab on the mic, they override whatever I have displayed. 

Wow. Thanks for all the feedback. Great first experience with the Owners' Club. And I don't even get the car for another two days!

I'll try the Toyota system first, although it feels like a backwards step from my existing car. I can't see the advantage of using Android for music etc. Surely it's easier to just use bluetooth to my phone's audio files(?).

3 hours ago, forkingabout said:

I to have a USB memory stick for music - unfortunately Toyota only fit 1 x USB port & allow 1 x USB device to be connected at once.

My Previous Peugeot had 2 x USB ports connected to the infotainment system so wireless Android Auto & USB memory stick could both be left connected - 3 USB ports if you count the unused ( in my vehicle ) data communication module port. 

USB adapter Ultra-Slim USB Splitter it’s the solution

1 hour ago, DC_Ms said:

USB adapter Ultra-Slim USB Splitter it’s the solution

Already tried that & doesn't work.

download.jpeg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Already tried that & doesn't work.

download.jpeg

It’s the same outcome if you use the one under the armrest too ?

19 minutes ago, DC_Ms said:

It’s the same outcome if you use the one under the armrest too ?

This was a C-HR with Smart Connect & there is only 1 USB port fitted.

7 hours ago, Rob Barsby said:

I can't see the advantage of using Android for music etc. Surely it's easier to just use Bluetooth to my phone's audio files(?).

Yes. That's what I do most of the time although I'm streaming via Rocket Player. The only advantage of Android Auto for me is that I will be using up to date maps without having to pay several hundred £s to Toyota.

I couldn't have a car without Android auto/ Apple car play. music apps. Waze for live traffic updates. Have messages read out and respond using voice. Listening to podcasts. Listening to the news. Audible for books. And I get my phone charged for an hour a day driving in and out of work. 

• Like 3

The missus uses it all the time in the Yaris.  

I never use it, I'm not a fan of the look.  Or Google for that matter 🤣

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links