Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pneumatic bonnet stays

Chrisg99

20220830_170630.thumb.jpg.97ff8dfb73544fbb95c5c1f7e031e5b8.jpgI have now added pneumatic bonnet stays to my GR Sport.

20220830_170621.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good! Looks like the mounting points where already there?

Tell us more.  Got my new Corolla home, opened bonnet as normal, let go as normal, and it hit my head. 

I had not had a car without bonnet stays in decades. 

• Haha 1

I would so love a kit for that for my Yaris!

(Seriously, who thought to mount the prop on the bonnet right above the engine?!)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Tell us more.  Got my new Corolla home, opened bonnet as normal, let go as normal, and it hit my head. 

I have a set off my 2019 Corolla, should fit as they have not changed the shape from then to the current ones.

12 hours ago, Chrisg99 said:

20220830_170630.thumb.jpg.97ff8dfb73544fbb95c5c1f7e031e5b8.jpgI have now added pneumatic bonnet stays to my GR Sport.

20220830_170621.jpg

1 Set Front Hood Gas Strut Damper Lift Strut Support Rod Hydraulic Hood Jackstay For TOYOTA CHR C-HR 2017 2018 Car Accessories1 Set Front Hood Gas Strut Damper Lift Strut Support Rod Hydraulic Hood Jackstay For TOYOTA CHR C-HR 2017 2018 Car Accessories £23.83 all in including carriage from Aliexpress Pro-Car Accessory Store as others were selling more expensive for the same item. I then bought a spray tin of Scarlet Flare and painted the brackets as they come black.

12mm top bolt on the bonet and the only 12mm bolt you can see on the inner wing. Fill the void with cloths, as yes I dropped the socket right down in the inner wing then you have to go fishing with a long flexi magnet to retrieve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Roy,

I have posted them in the Corrolla section.

1 hour ago, Chrisg99 said:

I have posted them in the Corrolla section

... and subsequently moved to the For Sale section.

• Like 1

Having now got my Yaris Cross I think it is about time Toyota fitted the struts as standard.  The weight of the sound deadening treatment, and the height the bonnet must be lifted, would defeat a number of drivers. 

Lads at the garage noticed something about the VAG & bonnet strut fitment.

Seat & Skoda normally just get the poverty spec prop, move up to a VW your upgraded from a prop to normal black gas strut, make it all the way to Audi level then you get the fancy silver coloured gas struts. 

• Haha 1

It seems a lot of Toyota cars do have official gas struts available for them, but for some reason they're only available in other countries (Seems to be more eastern countries a lot of the time).

I know the CarCareNut youtube guy always orders them when he gets a new car as he hates the prop.

If your car looks like it has mysteriously empty mount holes on the bonnet hinge mechanism, chances are it does!

Sadly it seems there isn't one for the Mk4 Yaris :sad: 

There is an aftermarket one for the GR Yaris which might work, but is only available in Japan and requires the foam blocks at the rear-sides of the bonnet to be removed. Given the amount of leaves and crap that get on my car I'd rather not have my engine bay get filled with plant material... (It already has enough spiders!!! :wacko:)

46 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Having now got my Yaris Cross I think it is about time Toyota fitted the struts as standard.  The weight of the sound deadening treatment, and the height the bonnet must be lifted, would defeat a number of drivers. 

I must admit even the normal Yaris bonnet does seem quite heavy! It may just be I'm used to the Mk2's bonnet (Which was tiny so probably weighed a lot less!)

While I'm at it, with a dark grey car in low light it's not easy to remember and then find the bonnet stay anchor point. 

I stuck some Yellow masking tape on it 

IMG_20220903_154126.jpg

• Haha 1

Had the bonnet on the C-HR open earlier to check levels, the standard fit poverty spec bonnet prop worked perfectly fine. 

A dash of screen wash to top up the level was all that was required. 

Oil still looks perfectly clean & on max mark, feels odd checking it when its hot as I'm not used to that. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 12:44 PM, Roy124 said:

Just checked the weight of the Yaris Cross bonnet - 2.9 kg.  That is a fair weight for many women, especially given the height to which it must be raised and then held with one hand to fix the prop with the other.  

• 6 months later...
On 8/30/2022 at 7:53 PM, Chrisg99 said:

20220830_170621.jpg

Yes, they are good. I bought a pair for my first CHR (4th one in) and move them from car to car. Bit fiddly to fit the bottom fitting but otherwise so useful. Toyota should start to update this car. Self closing boot, see you home headlights and electric seats should all be standard. Disappointed with my GR Sport

20 minutes ago, Walnut said:

Toyota should start to update this car.

The new next generation C-HR is likely to be on sale in 2024, so the current model is now unlikely to receive much in the way of updates.