Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Hybrid resale

royalezg

Hi, I would love to buy a Toyota Corolla hybrid, but am wondering how does it financially make sense. (Sorry if the question has been asked, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.)

My question is:

If I buy a new hybrid, drive it for - say ten years - will the money I saved on fuel be offset by the depleted Battery? Meaning, who's going to want to buy it without considering the possible cost of the replacement Battery (especially when the Toyota warranty runs out), which will drive its value down by that amount. Wouldn't that hurt the resale more than the non-hybrid, well-maintained Toyota Corolla?

I would appreciate current or long-time owners' insight so I can make up my mind 🙂 

Thanks a lot!
Igor

1 hour ago, royalezg said:

I would appreciate current or long-time owners' insight

No owners will have had the current Corolla for more than approx 3.5 years as it was only introduced in 2019 (UK).

As Toyota Owners Club is UK based, with the majority of members in the UK, few members will be able to comment on the resale situation in Croatia especially as regards 10 years time.

You would be best to research the values of Auris hybrids (the predecessor to the Corolla) in your home market. Members may be able to comment on the hybrid Battery longevity of the Auris hybrid.

• Like 2

Hi Mike, thanks for the feedback. My question really relates to any hybrid purchase, not just the Corolla, and not just in Croatia (doesn't really matter). I'm also interested in how the recent Corolla owners went about the purchase, whether it's just an ecological decision (fair enough), or they just like the hybrid technology and don't care about the resale (fair enough) or is there a financial plus to owning a hybrid. I'm sure someone else thought about what their hybrid car will be worth in 8-10 years 😉  

I actually did read that the hybrid car resale value is higher than the regular car, but I don't see how the math works, so just want to check.  👍

18 minutes ago, royalezg said:

Hi Mike, thanks for the feedback. My question really relates to any hybrid purchase, not just the Corolla, and not just in Croatia (doesn't really matter). I'm also interested in how the recent Corolla owners went about the purchase, whether it's just an ecological decision (fair enough), or they just like the hybrid technology and don't care about the resale (fair enough) or is there a financial plus to owning a hybrid. I'm sure someone else thought about what their hybrid car will be worth in 8-10 years 😉  

I actually did read that the hybrid car resale value is higher than the regular car, but I don't see how the math works, so just want to check.  👍

Hi Igor,

the hybrids [Toyota ] are currently the best choice of any car power train for many reasons, also they are one of the most efficient cars by all means and one of the cheapest to drive, maintain in a long run. 

They also hold their value very well and will continue to do so until garages stop selling petrol.

The trend about hybrids is similar all around the world, although in some countries Bev are at higher acceptance at the moment Norway for example.

Toyota hybrids are the best hybrids, they are also the most reliable , they do drive like full ev but need only little bit of fuel. Their batterie last long time, perhaps well over 10 years, no need to worry about warranty too, this can be extended with regular dealer services. 

Toyota hybrids are better option than ice cars , they are actually an ice cars but more advanced, more efficient , more reliable , nicer to drive especially in urban environment, hold value better than ice, cost less to maintain , easier to sell as used cars, does not cause any issues, just look big cities what they still drive for taxis and private hire. London the dominant is still a Prius. 

I have an Auris hybrid from 2010 and I drive 200+ miles every day every day. The car is over 221000 miles, with all original batteries and only very few parts replaced, almost still original car like was 12 years ago. There are no signs of any issues with Battery currenty, the fuel consumption is lowest ever at 62mpg [4.5l/100km] 👍

I have no plan to change the car for foreseeable future unless accident happens and the car gets written off.  

• Like 5

Hi Tony, thanks for sharing your experience with your Auris, that mileage with no issues sounds amazing! My 2020 Peugeot just had its engine replaced under warranty at 30.000 km 😅  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/31/2022 at 9:50 AM, royalezg said:

Hi, I would love to buy a Toyota Corolla hybrid, but am wondering how does it financially make sense. (Sorry if the question has been asked, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.)

My question is:

If I buy a new hybrid, drive it for - say ten years - will the money I saved on fuel be offset by the depleted battery? Meaning, who's going to want to buy it without considering the possible cost of the replacement battery (especially when the Toyota warranty runs out), which will drive its value down by that amount. Wouldn't that hurt the resale more than the non-hybrid, well-maintained Toyota Corolla?

I would appreciate current or long-time owners' insight so I can make up my mind 🙂 

Thanks a lot!
Igor

Who says the Battery will be depleted at 10 years , there are plenty of mk1 mk2 Prius out there still on there original batteries

Most EU countries now offer a 10 year warranty and 15 years Hybrid health check cover so as long as the car is still serviced or HHC completed beyond 10 years the Battery can be covered up to nearly 16 years.

• Like 2

If the Battery goes after 15 years and the rest of the car is in good nick, it's probably worth replacing the Battery with new Toyota one, they're not cripplingly expensive 

• Like 2

The hybrid batteries in Toyotas are tiny compared to EV ones so they're not even that expensive to replace - I'd guess roughly the amount of money you save from all the clutch replacements you don't have to do in that period of time.

I think maybe a handful of people have replaced the traction Battery here, and all were because of some sort of fault rather than it depleting.

As Devon says there are still Mk2 Prius owners still on their original traction Battery, which is pretty amazing!!

Just shows Toyota spend the time and did it right the first time around - EV manufacturers haven't been able to say the same; I reckon there have been more EV Battery replacements in the relatively short time they've existed vs Toyota hybrid battery replacements since the first hybrid rolled off the assembly line!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2022 at 9:20 AM, royalezg said:

Hi Tony, thanks for sharing your experience with your Auris, that mileage with no issues sounds amazing! My 2020 Peugeot just had its engine replaced under warranty at 30.000 km 😅  

Toyota world is very different. Statistically, 80% Toyota older than 20 years old are still roaming around like roaches.  As long as you change the engine oil regularly with a good full synthetic oil 15000 Km/1 year (normal) or 10 000 Km/8 months (many cold starts, taxi driving, etc.), you will not have any problem.   The HV Battery typically last at least 10 years/250 000 Km in severe climate (hot).  If you park it in garage or live in mild weather, 15 years/300+ Km are the minimum lifetime as long as you keep the intake vent/filter for hybrid Battery clean.  UK/Ireland has 15 years warranty/unlimited miles because of very mild weather there. Europe continent is so diverse so Toyota only give 10 years instead of 15 years.  The cycle on hybrid cars are very different than cellphone or Laptop Battery. It usually work from 40-80% actual battery capacity for longetivity that the ECU manage. Besides that, completely new battery installed by dealership cost about €2350 on Prius3/ Auris, or Corolla.  You fuel saving is more than €2400 in 5 years if you drive 15k Km per year vs non hybrid 1.2Turbo in mix city/highway 50/50.  So, definitely, you have the money to get a new battery 2x after 10 years from fuel. Besides that, the resale value is also much higher than non hybrid Corolla. 

Hybrid is the best non-disposable car. Most EV and weak Turbo engine cars do not even last as long as the original HSD HV battery lifespan.  Typical C-class Benz plug-in cost close to €18000 with only 8 years warranty, Prius plug-in is about €7000. The way Toyota mass produced the hybrid since 1998 makes it really solid and cheap.  If you do not commute less than 30 KM, plug-in Toyota is also not beneficial and letting the engine not running for full 2 or 3 months is not healthy. It can cause the cylinder wall corroded.  When the engine run, the whole powertrain is well lubricated and protected by the engine oil. 

My first HSD, 2006 Prius battery last almost 12 years in hot Florida without garage at 220k miles/350k Km.  I still see many 2nd Gen Prius 2004-2009 roaming around in Western Europe in their original battery. 

• Like 5