Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross Hybrid fuel gauge question?

Alan8742

What does the R mean on the fuel gauge? For most cars it means Reserve. I can find no information in the joke of a Handbook. Some tell me it means Empty. If so why R and not E?

R or E both means the same, low on fuel and into the reserve of the car, around 6ltr of petrol. 👍

• Like 2

It can say either E or R. I don't think Toyota has been consistent over the years. In both cases it would mean Reserve. 

I have the full owners handbook thanks. But it's useless for information that you want. The index is worse

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Alan8742 said:

But it's useless for information that you want. The index is worse

I couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

So what specific information were you looking for?? Just what R means?

As my question states. What does the R mean? I don't want to carry on driving and find that R means E empty and the car stops. Most cars have a light that comes on which means you have ? Litres left. The Manual tells you nothing about either of these important points. I can find loads of information about useless other information.  Look at a Haynes car manual and index. This tells you all you need to know about that car and where to find it!

If you look in the index for 'warning lights', and then 'low fuel light', for the Yaris Cross, it says that the low fuel light comes on when there is approx 6.4 litres remaining. Should be around page 406.

Bear in mind that Toyota Owners Club is an independent forum and has no association with Toyota. So politeness rather than an attitude, will encourage members to respond/help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for your helpful response. I would never have thought to look in the section on p177 of the User Guide  'steps to take in an emergency' to find useful information about remaining fuel when the low fuel level warning light (which I couldn't find information about) comes on. Apparently there is then 5.4l left. Because yesterday the digital display claimed we had only 42 miles left when the fuel gauge was near R and yet when I filled up the 36l tank it only took 28 litres which meant there was about 90 miles left in the tank. The car is great but the handbook is a challenge. 

The MyT app has a fuel %. I'm not sure how often it updates but it is really useful for a remote check.

I always take the view that running your car with less than  quarter of a tank of petrol/diesel is not a good idea.  As time goes by, there is a sediment build up at the bottom of the tank (particularly diesel powered cars) which can be drawn into the engine and cause major problems.  I used to work part time for a vehicle delivery company and it was always stressed to have at least a quarter of a tank of fuel before setting off.  I know that the Yaris Cross is a hybrid but please don’t allow your car to run on nearly fresh air.

• Like 1

For petrol that's a bit of a myth as the fuel pickup is at the bottom of the tank anyway so anything heavy enough to go to the bottom of the tank would get sucked up pretty quickly. It can be an issue with E10 if the tank is left for a while and any dissolved water gets a chance to settle at the bottom, but you'd have to be spectacularly negligent or never drive the car for ages for that to have a possibility of happening.

With diesels, the problem is condensation can allow microbes to grow and form clumps that float on top which get sucked into the filter when the fuel level gets low. Again however, this only tends to happen if the tank is only part-filled and also left unused for long periods.

I guess the overall moral is cars want to be driven, and if they're left stationary too long they start to develop problems. Thinking about it this applies to most things that can move; pets, animals, humans etc. :laugh: 

I think having at least a quarter tank before setting off is a good idea, if only to avoid being stranded somewhere sheepishly out of fuel :laugh: 

I get a bit of, what is now termed range anxiety, when I get to a quarter tank, which is partly why current EVs are no good to me - Most of them have a maximum range that is less than my minimum anxiety-inducing range :laugh: 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

E means empty

R means reserve

In ither case stay well away from ither mark you end up sucking up the dirt in your tank.

There is no difference between full or empty tank and what fuel pump will suck as the pump always sucks from the lowest point no matter how much fuel have in the tank. The fuel will go first through metal mesh filter and then through a paper filter so no need to worry about dirt getting suck in. As soon as you start driving the fuel is splashing inside and mix well, again no worries, it’s all simply a myths. 👌

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IT Troll said:

The MyT app has a fuel %. I'm not sure how often it updates but it is really useful for a remote check.

It's not close to accurate for the first 100 miles/150km +/-, but after that it's pretty close to being on track.

I noticed once when running low, according to the My T app, that the car actually bumped up the range from < 50km to > 200 km. I wondered if this was because the car had decided I was truly on reserve ?

So far I haven't managed to put more than c. 26 litres in the Yaris, when "running on empty".

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

So far I haven't managed to put more than c. 26 litres in the Yaris, when "running on empty".

The fuel reserve on a Toyota hybrid is pretty generous. 

It can be an expensive repair bill if you run a Toyota hybrid completely out of fuel & then deplete the traction Battery.

One of my work colleagues managed it to his Auris hybrid company vehicle & the fleet department wasn't best pleased about the avoidable repair bill. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

It's not close to accurate for the first 100 miles/150km +/-, but after that it's pretty close to being on track.

I noticed once when running low, according to the My T app, that the car actually bumped up the range from < 50km to > 200 km. I wondered if this was because the car had decided I was truly on reserve ?

It's mental isn't it! I'm getting over 400 miles, sometimes nearly 500 miles, for maybe 26-28L of fuel!

And it's not slow either! :naughty: 

This is how hybrids should be!

I do like that this seems to have the least inaccurate fuel gauge of all the Yarisisusueeusieses - The Mk2 wins for the worse (Indicated 1/4 used = half tank gone!! :eek: )

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 10:07 AM, forkingabout said:

avoidable repair bill. 

Guess that was for a new Battery once the original was drained beyond redemption, not the ICE being starved of fuel?

1 hour ago, Baytree said:

Guess that was for a new battery once the original was drained beyond redemption, not the ICE being starved of fuel?

There is a special procedure for charging the hybrid Battery.

It was 100% avoidable repair bill due to the driver running the vehicle out of fuel then forcing the vehicle to continue in EV mode.

• 4 months later...

Í just bought my Yaris Cross adventure, and was looking for how to open the fuel tank ? My other Toyota had it on the floor by the driver seat but could not find it ? 
Could anyone please tell me ?

did not get a manual with the car, as they run out of it ( the car dealer) 

On 9/2/2022 at 10:42 AM, Stopeter44 said:

....So far I haven't managed to put more than c. 26 litres in the Yaris, when "running on empty"....

I refueled a maximum of 28 l
yaris reported 0 km range - refuel immediately
average consumption 4 l/100km
fuel tank 36 l
that means a 200km reserve
super toyota 😄

• Like 1

It's great isn't it? :biggrin: 

It still makes me smug/happy when I refuel after 400+ miles and it clicks off so early :laugh: 

It still freaks me out sometimes as I associate that early click-off with my old Fiesta, which for some reason was very particular about what pumps I used and would just keep clicking off constantly on some of them despite being nowhere near full!

• Like 2

The Yaris Cross fuel gauge is absolutely brilliant.  It goes down slower than any other gauge in all of the cars that I ever owned.

• Like 3

What size is the tank in the Cross actually? Is it still a tiny 30-ish litre one like in the normal Yaris or is it a more normal 40-ish?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links