Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I am about to order one. I need some info.

fabio22

Hello all,

Tomorrow I am supposed to order a new Yaris Cross and I really don't know what to do. My initial idea was to get the Trend trim but I read that it is missing many things such as sensors and electric mirrors.

At this point the next step is the lounge which I think it has almost everything but I am reading it loses some fuel efficiency compared to the trend (fuel efficiency is the main reason why I am getting a new car) and I am a little bit unsure about the brown color.

Do you have any advise ? Anyone had to go through the same choice?

I don't know the trim level of the cross.

Edit: You are not from the UK, we don't have those trim level in the UK. Though in my opinion electric mirrors should be a minimum. U need to compare the spec via the Toyota website in your country. 

In the UK we don't get those specs, only difference is the wheel size, larger alloys = heavier

The trend is usually the euro spec, if you are in Italy the lounge is a much better spec, including lumber support, wireless charging and heated seats

You could do what I did with my Yaris, and get the trim with everything you want and then put on smaller rims afterwards to bring the mpg back up.

I'd recommend downloading the electronic manual from the Toyota website to see what the smallest 'official' rim size the car supports if you do that tho', and also check with your insurance as it might be classed as a chargeable modification.

I went from 17" alloys to 15" steel, which none of the insurance companies I spoke to had an entry for (haha!) so they just noted it down but didn't charge me extra.

Specifications can vary from country to country. Toyota Owners Club is UK based and our grades for the Yaris Cross differ from those in Italy, which is where I presume you are based.

In Italy you have (in ascending order) the Active, Trend, Orange Edition,  Lounge, and Adventure.

In the UK we have the Icon, Design, GR Sport (due shortly) and Excel.

The grades aren't directly comparable.

• Like 2

I am sorry, I totally didnt think trims were different. I apoligize but thank you for all your help!

• Like 1

fabio, consider the cost saving from the sensors and folding mirrors saving damage and the cost saving on fuel.

Look at the other differences and see how they affect your thoughts.

I have the remote boot opening (foot under bumper) and on day 1 of was wonderful having the boot open while my hands were full.  How did I manage before.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fabio22 said:

I am a little bit unsure about the brown color.

One car dealer told me years ago never buy a brown, gold, purple or yellow car as they are a nightmare to sell.

Cheapest trim. levels aren't really suitable for private drivers and owner drivers, they are best for rental companies, fleet, taxis, courtesy cars etc. The price differences between entry level and next trim level are usually small but equipment like can be well worth the upgrade. I would love to have top spec but middle spec can do it. For the efficiency , wheels and tyres swaps are the easiest way but if only efficiency is of concern then perhaps its ok with whatever the car came with because the fuel consumption will not be so much different , comfort levels, noise, wheel protection, tyre prices ., these are different 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

fabio, consider the cost saving from the sensors and folding mirrors saving damage and the cost saving on fuel.

Look at the other differences and see how they affect your thoughts.

I have the remote boot opening (foot under bumper) and on day 1 of was wonderful having the boot open while my hands were full.  How did I manage before.

I come from a very not fuell efficient car. With the yaris cross, no matter what trim I will buy, I will get a downgrade in terms of plastics and interiors. However I really want to save on gas I am so tired of spending so much. The italian second trim (called trend) does not have folding mirrors but I can add sensors for 500 euro. The third trim (lounge) comes with almost everything, plus panoramic roof and some other things. The price difference is not much but it has 18inch wheels vs 17 which is not really something I want (I have 19inch on my current car).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

One car dealer told me years ago never buy a brown, gold, purple or yellow car as they are a nightmare to sell.

It's just the interior design. I actually watched a video and it looks way better than pictures I found on the toyota website. I don't know why that specific trim comes only with that interior accent.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, fabio22 said:

... but I can add sensors for 500 euro.

Just be aware, if these are dealer-fit sensors and not part of an upgrade pack (e.g. City pack or something like that), those parking sensors are just dumb generic aftermarket ones, and aren't tied into the rest of the car's system in the way the factory-fit ones are, so you don't get a display or any config options.

No it's the official pack from Toyota. I think it is called comfort pack but I don't remember right now.

I mean the dealership said it will take 5 to 6 months to get the car anyway so I can add whatever I can if I go the "trend" way. If I just order the third trim it comes with everything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

You could do what I did with my Yaris, and get the trim with everything you want and then put on smaller rims afterwards to bring the mpg back up.

I'd recommend downloading the electronic manual from the Toyota website to see what the smallest 'official' rim size the car supports if you do that tho', and also check with your insurance as it might be classed as a chargeable modification.

I went from 17" alloys to 15" steel, which none of the insurance companies I spoke to had an entry for (haha!) so they just noted it down but didn't charge me extra.

What kind of mileage are you getting

I am intrigued and would be interested to do the same (with an Excel trim)

Mine's not a cross so not really a good comparison, plus you might not be able to use 15's as I assume the cross has bigger discs to counter the extra bulk, but I am generally getting mid-70's/low-80's

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NeverConsideredToyota said:

What kind of mileage are you getting

I am intrigued and would be interested to do the same (with an Excel trim)

Smallest wheel sizes for Yaris cross are 16” 6.5J 5x114.2 same wheels as Auris Corolla 2010-2018 . The entry level Yaris cross comes with this wheels size. Here you can chose your model and look for wheels sizes and parameters https://www.wheel-size.com

Well smaler tyres give better mpg 

I am running on 205/46R17

so 17 inch tyres

My to date my MPG is 70.7 for the week and 71.5 for the month both higher than Toyota figers for a Yaris Dynamic 65.6 MPG on new euro test.

37 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

fabio. The other factor is how long you intend to keep the car.  

Good question. I don't really know but being a Toyota I hopefully plan to keep it for a while. My wife has a toyota aygo from 2006 and it is still going strong. However, the past couple of cars I had, didn't last that much. I am now replacing a Renegade from 2019 mostly because I am really spending way too much money in gas and I want to go back to reliable cars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fabio22 said:

Good question. I don't really know but being a Toyota I hopefully plan to keep it for a while. My wife has a toyota aygo from 2006 and it is still going strong. However, the past couple of cars I had, didn't last that much. I am now replacing a Renegade from 2019 mostly because I am really spending way too much money in gas and I want to go back to reliable cars.

You are not far from the truth. Toyota hybrids currently are one of the best choices for new cars. 

I would want parking sensors, I know it's a modern innovation and we are deskilling ouselves 🤣  but they are really useful.

I think they should be standard across the range.

1 hour ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I would want parking sensors, I know it's a modern innovation and we are deskilling ouselves 🤣  but they are really useful.

I think they should be standard across the range.

My recent cars have all had sensors.  Now I don't know if that is deskilling but I could judge the front and  back for my E Class estate but always had difficulty with my Corolla, frequently stopping too far out

I rejected the Yaris outright as I could not even see the bonnet. The Cross is much better though. 

This is my first car to have sensors. Whilst they are useful for parking, I added the pack in order to get the rear cross traffic and blind spot monitoring. These features are brilliant. RCTA has even alerted me when a pedestrian stepped into my path.

• Like 1

I never really found the sensors very helpful on my previous car, but I love the camera on the Corolla and will now not consider a car without one 👌

43 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

This is my first car to have sensors. Whilst they are useful for parking, I added the pack in order to get the rear cross traffic and blind spot monitoring. These features are brilliant. RCTA has even alerted me when a pedestrian stepped into my path.

Yea unfortunately in Italy the sensor pack does not include the rear cross and blind spot monitoring. Thats an additional pack (tech pack), which is 1500 euro. 

I had those on my Mazda CX 5 years ago and they were, indeed, amazing.

• Sad 1