Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine rattle on aygo 16plate, reg/36k miles

nicktf

Hi,

I have an negine rattle that a local (non toyota) garage says could be exhaust baffles or timing chain or water pump, but cant say which. It occurs at low revs/idle but the car goes fine and there are no other symptoms. The rattle can be heard in the attached recording that was taken in the cab.

I'd be grateful for any clues/advice as to what it is and how damaging it might be to the engine and my bank account!!

Many thanks

nick

It's not exhaust, it's a rotational sound, does it do it all the time or just when hot or cold ?

Manual car ? if so, does it go if you push the clutch in

first thing i would do is listen to it with a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint the sound, failing that, take the fan/Aux belt off and run it for 30 seconds

Hi flash22, thanks for getting back.

Its a manual and the rattle does not change with the clutch up/down, the rattle is more pronounced when hot, but still there when cold. I did not think it was the baffles either due to the cyclic sound.

Serviced from new, as set out in the service schedule. I don't know about the oil, a reputable (non toyota) garage have done services. The service last service sheet at 32k (Nov 21) says titan GT1 flex 23 5W-30(BUL) for oil.

nick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links