Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Accelerator pedal - wear and tear ?

venomx

Few weeks back when driving it feels as if my foot is being tapped very lightly when using the pedal at times. MK2 Yaris.

Pedal doesn't have any play in it whatsoever and feels to be secure, no problems accelerating either.

However if I turn the engine off and press the pedal with my hand forward and backwards, it feels as if it doesn't move as smoothly as before, it doesn't stick or anything like that. Is this just wear and tear or is it possible I can a tiny bit of some thick silicone grease on the mechanism to help keep it lubricated ?

Well everything possible. You can try lube where the bearing point if it’s cable operated , if drive by wire then will be closed in plastic box and no point touching it. 👌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 9:09 AM, TonyHSD said:

Well everything possible. You can try lube where the bearing point if it’s cable operated , if drive by wire then will be closed in plastic box and no point touching it. 👌

Yeah there is a small plastic box so probably have to live with it. Tried a tiny bit of thick lubricant on the outside where there is some contact but no luck.

• Like 1

Check the other end of the cable on the throttle body and see that it doesn't stick there and that the throttle body opens and closes cleanly

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, corradovr6 said:

Check the other end of the cable on the throttle body and see that it doesn't stick there and that the throttle body opens and closes cleanly

I'm not that experienced with cars but I'll try to have a look. Googling bad throttle body symptoms I don't have any of them.

I'm fairly sure mine is electric as the pedal seems to attach to a few cables. I'll take a picture tomorrow  

Also, I feel the sensation even with the engine off and keys out of the ignition so surely that rules out the throttle body?

I'm not sure if it is electronic, or cable operated. If it's cable, it may need to have some lube put back in between the sheath and the cable. A cable oiler will work for this

I suspect it's electronic, as with most newer cars. In this case, it may need a clean with some switch cleaning spray.

Sorry Terry, i was assuming yours was a Mk1 yaris, like mine

• Thanks 1

Mk 1 or Mk2 Yaris I lubricate the pedal linkages the the throttle itself then disconect the cable and check that for smooth mechanical  movment of inner cable.

As Tony said probably nothing I can do. This is the mechanism, it's entirely electrical.

20220910_170518.jpg

As it's electrical, it could be cleaned by spraying and electrical switch/contact cleaner spray inside the unit. I did this years ago with a Ford I had and it cured the problem. The had part was getting the spray inside the unit. Usually there are small openings in the housing where you can get the spray nozzle into.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, venomx said:

As Tony said probably nothing I can do. This is the mechanism, it's entirely electrical.

20220910_170518.jpg

You can take the pedal off the car, watch this video and see what’s inside, check if you can open it and clean and re apply grease ( contact dielectric grease, silicone one only) then out all back together. The issue you have is most likely dried grease on the contact lines or plastic bearing point. Is it worth trying, it’s up to you, there is always a small risk doing something wrong and you will need to replace the pedal. You decide. 👍

C0E6705E-42B8-4542-A11F-A37D394402E4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Big_D said:

As it's electrical, it could be cleaned by spraying and electrical switch/contact cleaner spray inside the unit. I did this years ago with a Ford I had and it cured the problem. The had part was getting the spray inside the unit. Usually there are small openings in the housing where you can get the spray nozzle into.

What was the issue with your Ford ? Similar thing ?

I'd assume electric contact cleaner is safe to use ? I'd rather not risk it as I'm not experienced and don't like the idea of liquids near important electrical components.

I'll try some more thick lubricant but after that I will leave it alone, don't want to take any chances just for a minor issue

Leave well alone, what you are feeling is the wear spot (years of use only in certain throttle positions)

the carbon tracks will start to break down, and you end up with a dead spot or no throttle

change the pedal (complete assembly)

you need the correct type of lube for inside the switch that is non-conductive, and non-solvent based cleaner - you will kill the carbon tracks with the wrong type

Cost wise, just replace the pedal

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, flash22 said:

Leave well alone, what you are feeling is the wear spot (years of use only in certain throttle positions)

the carbon tracks will start to break down, and you end up with a dead spot or no throttle

change the pedal (complete assembly)

you need the correct type of lube for inside the switch that is non-conductive, and non-solvent based cleaner - you will kill the carbon tracks with the wrong type

Cost wise, just replace the pedal

So I need to get it replaced ASAP?  I've looked around and cannot see any new ones for the Yaris MK2.

MOT soon so I'll get them to look

The 08 Yaris is listed here on a recall list...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–2011_Toyota_vehicle_recalls#Accelerator_pedal_recall

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyotas-sticking-accelerator-recall-remedy/

However when I go on the Govt MOT website, enter my details, it says " no safety recalls found "

the car was purchased from Toyota used approved in 2018

What a plonker.

The pedal had a tiny bit of grease on it. Cleaned it off thoroughly now it's fine 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 2