Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hello from a new member!

Somethingfunny

Hi there! I'm new here, but excited to finally get out on the road. I'm driving a 1992 Carina XL. It had one owner from new who kept it for just shy of 30 years because 'it didn't break down'

Might be unusual that someone on their L plates is using a car that ancient, but it was either this or a questionably looked after Corsa...

I've not got much aside from a period correct (corolla) haynes manual and optimism, what's the worse that can happen? 

Here's to another 30 years without a breakdown, eh?

20220131_155758.jpg

Screenshot_20220213-210435_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220907-114602_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the TOC, you’re Corolla is testament to Toyota reliability. Happy motoring 🚘

Hello James, one owner from new and doesn't break down.🙂

Sounds good to me, no reason it should start breaking down now as long as you do regular basic servicing, you know, check/change oil and fluids, Battery, tyres etc.

You don't say how many miles,or if it has a full service history, but it probably has with one owner.

Much better choice than a dodgy Corsa, I'd say, I see many broken down cars newer than 10 years, not Toyotas though.

What's the worse that can happen?

Driving it on your own while on L plates, and seeing what it's top speed is for two things, but you sound far too sensible to do that, many new drivers do though, and come to grief very quickly.

Good luck with it, you should get many more years of reliable use out of it.

3 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Welcome to the TOC, you’re Corolla is testament to Toyota reliability. Happy motoring 🚘

Dang right! Aside from fender benders over the decades, the previous owner said it's been a solid machine. IIRC he swapped to a Auris.

And It's Carina II, not Corrolla Although everyone confuses it. As far as I can tell they are almost exactly the same. I think it's based off of a Celica with Corolla internals?  If you know anyone with the same model I'd love to ask for pointers 😇

3 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Hello James, one owner from new and doesn't break down.🙂

Sounds good to me, no reason it should start breaking down now as long as you do regular basic servicing, you know, check/change oil and fluids, battery, tyres etc.

You don't say how many miles,or if it has a full service history, but it probably has with one owner.

Much better choice than a dodgy Corsa, I'd say, I see many broken down cars newer than 10 years, not Toyotas though.

What's the worse that can happen?

Driving it on your own while on L plates, and seeing what it's top speed is for two things, but you sound far too sensible to do that, many new drivers do though, and come to grief very quickly.

Good luck with it, you should get many more years of reliable use out of it.

Oops, Looks like I forgot to format 😅

Forgot to mention. Circa 114,000 and an almost fsh. 

Funnily enough, even though it only went 2000 or so miles a year since 2012, the original owner gave it a full works service from fluids to balancing. Every year except 2002, 2018 and 2021 was in the original service book. Even then, it got serviced in 2021 but only had some reciepts.

my 85hp 4AF engine won't win any races except Le Mans, but it's still able to keep up the traffic

23 minutes ago, Somethingfunny said:

my 85hp 4AF engine won't win any races except Le Mans, but it's still able to keep up the traffic

I owned the previous gen Carina II back in the early 90s. 85bhp was higher when compared to the equivalent Fords/Vauxhalls from that era.The only issue I had during ownership was needing a new alternator. It was faultless and the build quality was excellent for that time when compared to other similar sized models. The gear lever looks identical to the one from the earlier models.

On 9/7/2022 at 11:46 AM, Somethingfunny said:

It had one owner from new who kept it for just shy of 30 years because 'it didn't break down'

Welcome James. 

That's Toyota reliability for you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links