Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear sticks feels 'stiff'. Is this how it's supposed to feel? @Toyota Aygo 3-door 2006

Mastro

New Toyota driver here. 

So far all those years I have been driving a VW Polo 2008 5 door. 

Recently got a used Aygo 2006 3-door 68hp too. And man, the gearstick feels a LOT different than the Polo. The 'feel' is not as good, and the gearstick is fairly stiff, notchy, however you wanna call it.

As an example, almost always when I switch gears it feels like it gets 'stuck' midway, like something is 'blocking' it. It's not a smooth transition. And it feels like it needs an extra push from my side, rather than 'sliding' into place itself. Often I am afraid I will break something.

Is this normal for Toyotas overall, or Aygos specifically? Should I have it checked? This is the first time I drive a Toyota in my life.

Could be the clutch isn’t fully disengaging.  What is it like when the engine isn’t running? I remember a mate with the same problem, he could go through all the gears with ease with the engine off but when running he had to force them in. Turned out the clutch cable had stretched and wasn’t allowing full disengagement a quick adjustment cured the problem.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

As above, worth checking clutch adjustment, also yours being a older early model few owners had similar problem due to worn gear stick selector/linkage or also stretched gear linkage cables. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2022 at 11:44 AM, dartrader1997 said:

Could be the clutch isn’t fully disengaging.  What is it like when the engine isn’t running? I remember a mate with the same problem, he could go through all the gears with ease with the engine off but when running he had to force them in. Turned out the clutch cable had stretched and wasn’t allowing full disengagement a quick adjustment cured the problem.  Just a thought.

It is pretty much the same when the engine off. I am not sure if I am exaggerating, but I compare the gearstick to my VW Polo, and it's not as smooth. Especially the minor resistance before I shift into a different gear. It's like something is blocking it for a split of a second before it slides into gear. And it's not always notchy, sometimes it slides perfectly into place.

I am attaching a video, engine was on as you can hear, and you can also hear the sounds gearstick makes when I change gears, plus the resistance.

If it's the same when the engine is not running then I'm inclined to what Puglet said regarding the gear stick selector/linkage and possible stretched cables.

• 9 months later...

Mine does this and I assumed it was just normal. Did you resolve this?

Small cars with gear cables does have transmission gear tower on top of the gearbox. A metal mechanism that the two gear linkage cables connect to. Often these mechanisms gets corroded due to lack of use, weather, age, and this will make your gear shifter very stiff and uncomfortable to use. To check if this is the case with your car you can shift into first gear and then shift back to neutral and just before select N release the shifter so your hand it’s not on, the shifter should go in N and centre itself. If it doesn’t and the shifter stops in odd position or moves very slowly you very likely have this corrosion issues or something along cables and linkages. Something to think about and double check. 

Given the age, the cables and selector its self need cleaning and lubricating, it may not be a bad idea to change the gearbox oil too

• Like 1

Loosened my clutch screw a few notches, and now my gears no longer feel strained when in motion. In fact, not only is it a lot easier to transition between gears, finding and maintaining the bite is no longer an anxiety inducing process.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links