Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Rav4 and Toyota Accident Care

Nikonman

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here and first of all, thanks to everyone for all the really useful info.🙂

I've owned my Rav4 (19 plate excel AWD) for about 3mths now and I can honestly say that in over 40 years of driving it's the best car I've had. I absolutely love (almost) everything about it. I bought it as a used approved, 1 local owner car with 15k on the clock and absolutely immaculate.

So, I was absolutely devastated when on Wednesday I got hit by another car on a roundabout!

I was in the middle lane going straight on to the next exit and he came round the roundabout in the right-hand lane and tried to take an exit hitting me on the offside front wheel area. Result, front alloy badly gouged and scuffed, front wing and door skin/frame damaged. His Fiesta bounced off with wrecked front suspension and is probably a write off. I couldn't believe it, absolutely gutted. Thankfully no one was hurt.

After we exchanged details etc, I went to help the other driver move his car as it was in a dangerous position. He got in tried to drive it - no chance, sounded like the drive shaft had been torn out, so I opened his passenger door to ask him if he could turn the steering at all so we could push it and I was greeted by a really strong smell of Cannabis! Time to call the Police. They arrived and promptly arrested him. Apparently, he was cooperative and admitted it. Police were very good and after I told them my side of things, he was of the opinion that it was 100% the other guys fault (and that was actually before they arrested him for the drug side of things).

So, I thought I would use Toyotas Accident Care service. The reason being they promise to look after everything for you and get the car repaired by Toyota approved repairers and so on. Tried ringing at the scene - no answer.

Tried again at home eventually they answered. It then became clear that they are in fact a claims management company (Auxilis Ltd) and are only interested in 100% guaranteed no fault claims where they can easily get all costs from the other party. After 2 days of me chasing them they said they were unable to handle my claim as they felt I should have been in the right hand lane, not the middle. 

So, now I'm back to dealing with my own Insurance company. All together not a very good experience and a waste of two days. I thought others might like to know of my experience and if you are unfortunate enough to need them, you might want to steer clear. Certainly not what I was expecting of an accident care service promoted by Toyota.

Now I have to wait and see how long it will take to get my car repaired. One thing I would like to add is that I was glad to be in a large, hefty car. I was impressed at how well the car stood the impact. I was able to drive it home and even the tracking didn't seem to be out🙂

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Good no one was hurt Chris, and yes cannabis use seems to be becoming more and more noticeable these days, even in supermarket car parks, etc 

Roundabouts do seem to be a bit of a grey area anyway, especially for me 😄, but a bit of cannabis certainly wouldn't help 😄

• Like 2

Yes, as you say roundabouts are a bit of a grey area, especially multi lane ones. I'm hoping the "wacky backy" part will get it settled in my favour. Otherwise, we might be looking at a 50/50 claim and bang goes my no claims etc☹️

Just been speaking to my insurance and if I want the car repaired at a Toyota Approved body shop, rather than their choice (which I do), it'll cost an extra £200 x/s. Still, I'd rather pay that and get it repaired properly.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nikonman said:

Yes, as you say roundabouts are a bit of a grey area, especially multi lane ones. I'm hoping the "wacky backy" part will get it settled in my favour. Otherwise, we might be looking at a 50/50 claim and bang goes my no claims etc☹️

Just been speaking to my insurance and if I want the car repaired at a Toyota Approved body shop, rather than their choice (which I do), it'll cost an extra £200 x/s. Still, I'd rather pay that and get it repaired properly.

Better Toyota than anyone else. Others usually does really poor quality job, even Toyota may not be perfect but defo better choice. Sorry to hear that happened, driving standards these days are the lowest ever. People behind the wheel are insanely rude, there is no drive etiquette at all, speeding and racing with other cars is the latest keeping up with traffic, no Highway Code rules, no respect, nothing, it’s like a war on the roads. 

• Like 1

I don't see how any blame could be had on you TBH. Aside from the other driver being doped up, I would have thought the middle lane would be correct if you are going straight on; The Fiesta should have been behind you or at least in that lane too and not tried to cut across the front!

It doesn't help that roundabouts are often not marked very well and the lanes often don't fan out properly to the exit they're supposed to be directing you too, forcing you to change lane mid-roundabout!

What is Toyota Accident Care? I've seen their number on my Toyota Recovery card - well, when they still gave out cards! - but never understood what the point of them was. Like, why would I call another third party and add another middle-man instead of calling my insurance company directly?

• Like 3

Thanks Cyker, that was the opinion of the traffic Cop as well (100% the other guys fault, he said). And that was before they arrested him for drug driving.

Toyota Accident Care.

From the Toyota uk site: "Should you be involved in an accident, we are here to help you. We have a team of trained experts to support you and advise you on what to do next."

They say they will deal with the claim for you and ensure the car is repaired by Toyota Approved repairers. Like you, I've always avoided middlemen/brokers etc, but foolishly I assumed it would be a service provided by Toyota, but this isn't really the case. In fact, they are only interested in guaranteed win cases where they can get their costs (no doubt including a sizeable profit) from the third party. If there's any doubt, you're on your own. Not much of an accident care service👎

• Like 1

Apparently, dash cams are a requirement in many countries in order to obtain insurance.

Not in the UK though.

I advise my friends to get one before anything happens, not after as seems to be the norm.

An £80 dash cam can save a lot of grief and money when hit by a dishonest "not my fault"type.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nikonman said:

Thanks Cyker, that was the opinion of the traffic Cop as well (100% the other guys fault, he said). And that was before they arrested him for drug driving.

Toyota Accident Care.

From the Toyota uk site: "Should you be involved in an accident, we are here to help you. We have a team of trained experts to support you and advise you on what to do next."

They say they will deal with the claim for you and ensure the car is repaired by Toyota Approved repairers. Like you, I've always avoided middlemen/brokers etc, but foolishly I assumed it would be a service provided by Toyota, but this isn't really the case. In fact, they are only interested in guaranteed win cases where they can get their costs (no doubt including a sizeable profit) from the third party. If there's any doubt, you're on your own. Not much of an accident care service👎

Couldn't agree more, they are in it for the money and don't give a monkey's about you.

good luck

Terry

• Like 1

When my wife's Aygo was hit by a third party whilst parked her insurance brokers, M&S, appointed a claims company who sorted everything out for us, including obtaining a good pay out when it was written off. Not sure what the Toyota Accident Care would have added.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links