Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ignition issue

Adam Sos

I purchased an avensis 1.8 VVT-i 2004 last week & am generally very happy. As a musician that does a lot of miles, with 2 young kids & didnt have much budget, I am hoping this car will be reliable & do the job.

Firstly I doubt someone can help me with a minor issue. Every time I turn left & right I hear something that sounds like a marble rolling around behind the drivers seat. I've looked everywhere but cant see where it can possibly be coming from. A minor issue but kind of driving me mad.

The main issue is that several times I have turned the key & all the lights come on but doesn't start. No stalling or chugging, just nothing. Then maybe after 3 or 4 tries it will start absolutely fine. Other times it starts 1st time & no issues. Anyone know what this might be?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

On 9/9/2022 at 9:33 PM, Adam Sos said:

I purchased an avensis 1.8 VVT-i 2004 last week & am generally very happy. As a musician that does a lot of miles, with 2 young kids & didnt have much budget, I am hoping this car will be reliable & do the job.

Firstly I doubt someone can help me with a minor issue. Every time I turn left & right I hear something that sounds like a marble rolling around behind the drivers seat. I've looked everywhere but cant see where it can possibly be coming from. A minor issue but kind of driving me mad.

The main issue is that several times I have turned the key & all the lights come on but doesn't start. No stalling or chugging, just nothing. Then maybe after 3 or 4 tries it will start absolutely fine. Other times it starts 1st time & no issues. Anyone know what this might be?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Not sure about the marble sounding noise but, when I first got my Avensis I got caught with the second one a few times; the simple answer was to make sure I was depressing the clutch pedal fully. As you will no doubt know there is an oddity with Toyota cars (and some other manufacturers) that you have to depress the clutch pedal fully before the ignition will work (likely so you don't start it in gear).

11 hours ago, Ant-Rav said:

The latter of your two problems could possibly be the ignition switch.

That is my thought too! Ignition switch symptoms are - turn the key the the normal instrument lights come on, but the starter does not work. Also the the lights do not dim, as if the Battery was low, because the Battery is fine. I had the ignition switch problem when I own the T22 Mk1. The fault initially is intermittent, then happens more often until the car won't start at all.

The fix was easy on that, but about £50 from Toyota, because a third party switch would not work. It was wrong for the car and I spotted the pinouts were in the from place. I always check and compare components before before installation, so did attempt to fit, but got my money back. 
So you have some direction with the starting.

You probably have something rolling around, but you will have to put up with it. Check the heater vents or that chassis rail.  

Weirdly, most motorfactors are good about refunding returned parts bought in error; I wish all retail sectors were like that!!

1. It could be the seat back rest, try adjusting the back and fort. 

2. It is possibly the starter, starter relais or ignition as suggested above. I would recommend starting with the starter itself. Next time it doesn't start, just tap the  starter motor (in front of the enine) with a small hammer. If it starts after that then it's confirmed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links