Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing To A Yaris Cross

Jimota

I’m new to the Toyota family having been an avid fan of Audi/VW/Skoda for the past 30 years.  Every vehicle I owned from this group proved to be totally reliable and had trouble free motoring throughout this period.  I just got a little bit bored with the cars and felt that I needed a change.  Toyota was on my preferred list as I was really interested in a hybrid vehicle with an automatic gearbox.  My only concern was the CVT transmission but after a  very enjoyable test drive I purchased a Yaris Cross Design model.  Unfortunately, after confirming my order on 18/05/22, I’m still in the dark as to when it will be delivered.  Initially, I was given a September/October delivery date but who knows when it will arrive.  Anyway, I’m interested in members views on their experiences changing to Toyota from other makes and whether it was a change for the good.  Are you happy with the change and the Toyota dealer network and will you continue to be a Toyota owner?

• Like 2

1. James, My Wife, and our 3 daughters have all bought new Toyota Yaris Cars so we have had more than 10 already, sorry I genuinely have lost count. My Wife updated to the Yaris Cross Excel  late last year and it is quite the nicest car I have ever ridden in or driven. 
  2. My youngest daughter is on her 2nd Yaris Hybrid this year 
  3. We have had no problems with any of the cars, except for an occasional puncture, dealer has always offered a courtesy car or collected from home or work location when they required the annual service. 
  4. Sorry cannot say any more, for our family we are all highly satisfied, warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to park, excellent reversing camera.
  • Like 3

Excellent aftercare from the two Toyota dealers i have used a number of times and cars that feel bullet proof, the few times I've changed over, Ford, Audi, Renault it was not for long even if those makes turned out to be ok.

Edited by Eddie G
Added information
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimota said:

My only concern was the CVT transmission

The Toyota hybrid e-CVT is nothing like the usual CVTs. Mechanically it's simpler than a manual gearbox, but is more complex electronically.

However, Toyota have been making them for 20 years or more and they are popular with taxi drivers/companies, so are very reliable. You don't need to worry about them.

• Like 3

Yeah, the hybrid 'CVT' is more like a differential than a gearbox!

It's a very clever use, and is the only 'gearbox' I know of that doesn't rely on some sort of frictional force to give different 'ratios', so should easily out-last any conventional gearbox .

They've altered how it delivers power a bit, so it doesn't just jump to the redline as soon as you ask it for a lot of power, although I find that 3-pot M15A-FXE in the Yaris still gets noisy when given the beans! Fortunately, being a diesel-head, I quite like the noise it makes :laugh: 

The 4-potters in the Corolla is less raucous, definitely a lot smoother!

• Like 2

Jimota, I think I may have posted this but 7 months, ie Jan 23 would be a realistic date.

We absolutely love our Rav and Yaris.

They may not be edgy and interesting but they do exactly what you want, they get you around in comfort without worry or fuss.

That said, fun driving is what you make it.  I quite enjoy chucking the Rav about occasionally, it handles really well for what it is.

• Like 3

The ecvt uses the electric motor-generator to adjust the ratios in the power split device, which means when the hybrid Battery dies completely the car can not be used anymore until new Battery is installed. Many people most likely think that if Battery dies you can still run on petrol alone, well not in Toyota hybrids. 👍 Basically yes, software tricks can make the car faster or slower etc. 👌

• Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 10:52 PM, Jimota said:

Anyway, I’m interested in members views on their experiences changing to Toyota from other makes and whether it was a change for the good.

Peugeot 208 EAT6 to a Yaris Design. I drive slower now with the Yaris Hybrid, once you get the hang of getting the most (i.e. lowest fuel consumption) out the car, driving slower comes naturally. The Yaris has the guts for country road overtaking, but continuous high speed (> 70 mph/110kph) is not its strong point.

I wouldn't go back to a standard ICE car now.

• Like 2

It's definitely more relaxing to drive slow and/or in traffic than any other car I've owned, but I like that if I want to deploy the beans it does so without hesitation :naughty:

The drivetrain in this thing really is fantastic!

I did look at other cars previously when I got KHAAAN'd, the korean offerings are quite strong, as but my goal was to either go EV or at least get a car that was more efficient than my old Mk1 diesel, and this is literally the first car that comprehensively exceeds the Mk1 D4D's efficiency and performance... only took them what, 18 years?? :laugh: 

I intend for my next car to be an EV, but they need to up their game massively as I'm not compromising on my use-case and getting an inferior car just because it's an EV.

I think it will be unlikely anyone will make a better car than the Mk4 Yaris before that happens so I reckon I'll be holding onto this for quite a while!

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.  I thought that the delivery timescale may indeed extend into 2023 judging by comments from other Toyota customers, however  maybe things will improve.  It really is quite pleasing looking at all the positive comments about Toyota in general and the new Yaris Cross.  I’m now a new OAP but look forward to staying young with enjoyable drives in a technologically advanced hybrid car.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It'll be worth the wait!! It really is the best evolution of the hybrid drivetrain yet - I'm glad they changed the focus purely from economy to improve the driveability as it's made a huge difference to how pleasant it is to drive compared to my previous experiences.

The new TNGA platform in particular has improved the handling by leaps and bounds!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It'll be worth the wait!! It really is the best evolution of the hybrid drivetrain yet - I'm glad they changed the focus purely from economy to improve the driveability as it's made a huge difference to how pleasant it is to drive compared to my previous experiences.

The new TNGA platform in particular has improved the handling by leaps and bounds!

Same here 👍 and agree about the TNGA platform, be keeping mine long term and then either another one or a Yaris Cross.

• Like 1

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is the TNGA platform?  I love learning new things!

It’s ok, I have googled the TNGA platform and now consider myself as an expert! 😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Jimota said:

It’s ok, I have googled the TNGA platform and now consider myself as an expert! 😀

Was going to put some of the main points but Google cover them for you 👍 TNGA platform has made well made reliable Toyota's now also good to drive across the range, which left me with a Yaris, Yaris Cross or a Corolla to pick from as all good to drive.

Edited by Eddie G
Added information
  • Like 1

You deserve a gold star just for researching yourself!! :laugh: 

Took delivery of our new Yaris Cross Dynamic, end of July. Really worth the 6 months wait. the 3 cylinder petrol 1490cc engine coupled with the electric Hybrid engine, gives a very smooth ride and excellent acceleration even in eco mode. I have carried out an actual fuel tank to mileage check, and all that Toyota say regarding MPG is accurate.

There is a fair bit of plastic cladding to the car, but no more that one would find on other makes. Paint finish is good. the 18inch wheels give good height but not too high for us OAP's. Internal controls are placed much better postions  than in the 2019 style Yaris. Good LED, blue, low lever lighting in the footwells , when entering or exiting the vehicle during darkness is a good call.

Seating very comfortable and more spacious, and good boot room with adjustable height for the boot floor.

Two downsides though. Although there is room to house 17inch space saver wheel, it only comes with an inflation kit, not good in my book, a big mistake I feel. I had to purchase a wheel along with a wheel brace and jack myself which fits perfectly. Secondly the plastic trim over the rear wheel arches has a joint in it that is not flush, and can easliy catch a loose jumper or coat when exiting the vehicle, which has done on occasions, this design does need to re re addressed, or one can damage this easily.

In all I give this model 10/10 for style, comfort, fuel ecomony and handling.

Highly recommended.

• Like 6

I can second everything Jeremy. K says above. We're in Spain and have had our Cross since last December, done 12,000 Km since then, consuming 4.4 litres per 100 Km which is around 62 mpg over that period. The figures from the car match quite closely what we get per actual tankful.

Changed from a 15 year old Corolla Verso so the technology was a massive learning curve, think I've worked everything out now.

It's so easy to drive, comfortable on long runs. As others have said the noise from the 3 cyl engine can take a bit of getting used to when it's working hard uphill but most of the time it is very quiet.

The wife really didn't like driving the Verso but loves the Cross.

Hope you don't have to wait too long for yours

• Like 2

On 9/10/2022 at 8:01 PM, Jimota said:

I’m now a new OAP but look forward to staying young with enjoyable drives in a technologically advanced hybrid car.

New is relative, but I think the car suits, let's say, a mature forward thinking outlook on driving, rather than a, call it, reptilian attitude.

• Like 2

Can't tell you about changing to toyota from other makes, but I can tell you only once since  my 1st corolla in 1974 have I been happy  not having a corolla/celica/carina/rav or my current yc under me bum, and that's the ssangyong tivoli I've got. I waited a long time for toyota to come up with something to replace the 3 door rav , my personal favourite , I had 3, hence the tivoli. But the yc nails it for me , cracking little motor, easy to drive, nice height to get in and out, economical and enough room for 2 of us

• Like 3