Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GR 86 review (new)

fourbanks

For some reason, the gearbox has only had one gear improved and is smooth, the other gears clunky. It's typical Toyota or in this case Subaru, and it's not for me as I don't like bits missing on upgrades and on that basis I'm out

The UK allocation was sold out in 90 minutes, and there won't be any more available, so it isn't as though you could be 'in'.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

The reason the GR86 is being dropped in Europe from 2024, is that Toyota are unable to accommodate the front camera required for Intelligent Speed Assistance and Emergency Lane Keeping System (both of which become mandatory in all new cars sold from July 2024) in the structure which was carried forward from the GT86. 

To accommodate the camera, the roof would need to be raised and the windscreen moved.

• Like 2

According to the car care nut guy the automatic GR86 has the camera system and all the safety systems on certain trims, just not the manual, so I would think it would be possible...

I just assumed it was for emissions reasons - Even with their hybrids bringing down their emissions ratings, selling too many high CO2 sports cars would off-set that, and with the changes to how PHEV CO2 is measured and their lack of current EV offerings I think they're just trying to stay on the safe side while they work on their EVs.

(I'm still hoping for them to make a decent-ranged Yaris-sized EV!)

• Like 1

Toyota seem to like to let a 3rd party help them with the sports coupe vehicles - Subaru & BMW instead of developing a proper Toyota vehicle in house. 

At least the GR Yaris & GR Corolla are proper sporty Toyota products. 

It's understandable - Before the GT86 they hadn't made a sporty car in I don't even know how long... I think the last one before that was the Celica and that wasn't really that sporty.

Made sense to spread the risk a bit, so they could test the waters and see if there was a market for them, working up their confidence to build their own one. Even then they were not expecting to sell many, and were shocked at how well the GR Yaris sold.

The apparent swing of the industry has been to increasingly stupid SUVs and generally to larger cars, and they were all totally oblivious to how hungry car enthusiasts were for something like the GR Yaris.

They were expecting it to be a very low volume seller, almost a vanity project of the CEO - It turns out not everyone wants a giant lumbering SUV! :laugh: 

15 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Toyota seem to like to let a 3rd party help them with the sports coupe vehicles - Subaru & BMW instead of developing a proper Toyota vehicle in house. 

Think the issue is the low volumes. The Supra/Z4 production is contracted out to Magna Steyr - a contract manufacturer who also build the Mercedes G-wagen, Jaguar E and I-Pace and the BMW 5 series.

48 minutes ago, Cyker said:

the automatic GR86 has the camera system and all the safety systems on certain trims, just not the manual, so I would think it would be possible...

I just assumed it was for emissions reasons

Extract from a Toyota UK mag article:

"While it is true that the new Toyota GR86 will only be on sale in Europe for two years, some people are under the misunderstanding that its lifespan is being curtailed by stricter emissions regulations.

The reality is entirely different, so let us explain why the car will have to be discontinued after 2024.In 2024, new European safety protocols will come into force, and vehicles that do not comply with these General Safety Regulation 2 standards will not be allowed to be sold. This will even apply to existing, un-registered stock held centrally by vehicle manufacturers.

In order to comply with these strict new regulations, the GR86 would have to be completely re-engineered. Apart from being economically unviable for a small-volume sports car like the GR86, compliance with these regulations would detrimentally affect the dynamic character of the car. Make no mistake, the GR86 is already a very safe car."

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Managed to get a test drive yesterday in the manual GR86 at JRT Hull ,  as always great service 👍 Car is nice but I have an automatic on order , hopefully to arrive Feb 2023,  and with a clutch like an On/Off switch and a not particularly slick gear change that detracted somewhat from the experience for me.  Unfortunately with 6 press cars and 30 odd demonstrators Toyota U.K. don’t appear bothered in making an automatic demonstrator available to customers,  despite the fact we are paying a £2k premium for the box and a few other additional safety features 🤷‍♂️

EE4198BF-9C06-4804-8883-B77C28B30635.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I just test drove a GR86 and firstly, it does not sound as nice as the gt86.

THe clutch really was like an on and off switch which required about 8 mins to get use to and then I could hold the biting point.

The Car does have great pickup though and even made it slip in the Wet a bit. Inside cabin is a welcome upgrade. Digital display is great. It can show directions from Android Auto which is great.

Making me think about my MX-5, 2.0 litre twin cam with beautiful manual gearbox, rear wheel drive, the epitome of a sports car and driving experience.

Putting me in the mood to buy another one before I'm too old 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 4:21 PM, MoPanda said:

I just test drove a GR86 and firstly, it does not sound as nice as the gt86.

THe clutch really was like an on and off switch which required about 8 mins to get use to and then I could hold the biting point.

The Car does have great pickup though and even made it slip in the Wet a bit. Inside cabin is a welcome upgrade. Digital display is great. It can show directions from Android Auto which is great.

Where did you find a dealer that had a demonstrator?