Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

is it safe and ok to remove tyre weights?

RHYSF00

Hi all. so i am fixing my alloys at home and i have wheel weights on each tyre on the rim. these can be removed with flat head. howevver i am unsure if it is safe to remove them and re attach them so i can get a smooth even finish? 

for those who want to know the colour im doing it silver.

Rhys in theory you could remove them and reattach them as they are just balance weights to ensure that the wheels are balanced.

But you would need to be sure that you put them back on in exactly the same place and that they were reattached properly.

If it was me I would take the weights off and discard them, then once your wheel renovation is complete have them rebalanced at a tyre depot if required, but drive it first just to see if they do need balanced.

I'm sure the tyre fitter could put new weights on where they won't be seen 👍

• Like 1

Yeah, remove them then get them rebalanced when you're done.

With alloys they should be using sticky weights on the inside surface of the rim and not clip-ons on the edge; I've complained to lazy tyre fitters before for putting clip-ons on my alloys and scratching up the lip!

• Like 3

Yes they can be removed but you then need to replace them with new ones or have tyre rebalanced.

Electronic rebalancing is best nachine can re compute so  balance weights are behind spokes.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links