Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I managed to stop, shame about the driver behind me!

Extreme_One

Really sorry this happened to you Simon, I hope it gets sorted with very little fuss.

With tailgaters I tend to adjust my speed to the gap they are providing but when I pull away from stationary traffic I drive up to the speed limit dropping my speed if the driver behind starts tailgating again.  One of two things tend to happen, either they take the hint and drop back or they get angry and eventually pass me.   I am happy with either as they problem is either avoided or the driver, who is an accident waiting to happen, has their accident elsewhere.

• Like 7

Cyker, that is what I experience if I let it.  No, I was really referring to the same stop start traffic. 

I am now using the cancel button more.  Allow ACC to do its thing until I see a lift off and cruise is more sensible. 

I watched a near accident unfold.  A 'careful' driver known to me was tailgating as we joined a fast road and I allowed the interval to increase.  He shot passed me and tailgated the truck on front.  At an inappropriate moment he simply pulled out into the car overtaking him.  At the last moment he swerved. 

He does not speed in the village but has absolutely no clue about road positioning. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Cyker, that is what I experience if I let it.  No, I was really referring to the same stop start traffic. 

I am now using the cancel button more.  Allow ACC to do its thing until I see a lift off and cruise is more sensible. 

Ahh okay, darn, I was hoping the Cross had a newer version of the software or something that made it better than the Mk4's that I could ask the dealer to install!

• Like 1

Cyker, what is different from the Corolla is the switchology. The activate button is on the left of the main controls.  The Set/Resume are up/down toggles and the Cancel is a large button the the left. 

Easier to locate by touch, some better but could still be improved. 

18 hours ago, 2badmice said:

What I would say is that they may blame you for hitting the Fiesta, whilst you are claiming for the damage caused by the VW behind. 

The Dashcam footage is irrefutable.

I stopped well short of the Fiesta. I was stationary when I the car behind ploughed into me, shunting me into the Fiesta.

When her insurance company attempts to claim off me, they'll receive a copy of the footage and will be instructed to take it up with the insurance company representing the driver of the car that rear-ended me. 😉

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 2badmice said:

have you looked to see if the boot floor has been lifted?

That's a good point. TBH I hadn't looked, as it's a company lease car I'll leave them to sort it out.

But your comment made me decide to take a look and I was quite shocked.

Yes the floor has a large crinkle where it's been pushed up.

• Like 2

Shock transfer can be missed.  The SAAB 99 had inner wheel arches, rare in the 60s, and the driver's door was wrenched in a strong gale.  Years later, cleaning the car pre-sale, I found that arch was buckled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Extreme_One said:

That's a good point. TBH I hadn't looked, as it's a company lease car I'll leave them to sort it out.

I am almost sure the car will be written off because of the parts supply issue plus here there is a damage to rear bumper support, part of the spare wheel well, exhaust as well, suspension might also suffer some alignment damage . Watching how deeply the golf is damaged I can see it went under the Corolla 50cm and more. That’s my opinion only,  to necessarily I am right but what I have see and my personal experience from previous accidents, and I have few, I know how bad it is and the feeling it’s not pleasant at all. 

• Like 2

Thanks @TonyHSD you're right it's not pleasant.

I watched the footage back this week, the in-car footage was quite shocking, as you can see how fast the car was going when he hit us. I reckon he hit us at around 40mph!

At the time I was definitely in shock, and for the whole of last week I've ached all over.

I'm not just saying that as some kind of compo try-on, I'm sure anyone thats experienced this kind of collision will attest, it really does take it out of you!

My gut feeling at the time was that it would be a write-off, but now I've actually gotten down on my hands and knees to look beneath the car, and seen the wrinkled metal, I'd be even more surprised if it actually went for repair.

Trouble is, I hate to think how long I'll need to wait for whatever replacement I end up ordering. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Extreme_One said:

Thanks @TonyHSD you're right it's not pleasant.

I watched the footage back this week, the in-car footage was quite shocking, as you can see how fast the car was going when he hit us. I reckon he hit us at around 40mph!

At the time I was definitely in shock, and for the whole of last week I've ached all over.

I'm not just saying that as some kind of compo try-on, I'm sure anyone thats experienced this kind of collision will attest, it really does take it out of you!

My gut feeling at the time was that it would be a write-off, but now I've actually gotten down on my hands and knees to look beneath the car, and seen the wrinkled metal, I'd be even more surprised if it actually went for repair.

Trouble is, I hate to think how long I'll need to wait for whatever replacement I end up ordering. 🤦‍♂️

Indeed, most importantly thought is that you are safe and sound. Car accidents happen in less than a second, consequences afterwards can be for long. I hope all goes smooth with the car replacement (repair) and you will be back on the road and enjoy driving. The Corolla has done its job, it’s stopped and saved your and the others involved life’s. 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This place seems to compress images, this isn't the easiest to see as it is.

Picsart_22-09-19_16-33-24-977.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Extreme_One said:

It doesn’t look that bad actually, I think in fact the golf was likely under heavy braking and low front end went under the car and this itself played a role for less damage outside and softer acceleration a bit. 

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

likely under heavy braking and low front end

The driver said he didn't even touch his brakes, he was looking in his mirrors at a van that has just passed and he ploughed into us without decelerating at all. 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Extreme_One said:

The driver said he didn't even touch his brakes, he was looking in his mirrors at a van that has just passed and he ploughed into us without decelerating at all. 🙄

Lol, that is even worse for him. But how did he went underneath then, perhaps it’s a lot lower than the Corolla. 

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

But how did he went underneath then, perhaps it’s a lot lower than the Corolla. 

It did have an incredibly ugly body kit, was probably lowered too. Horrible ugly thing it was.

Smashing it up was the best end for it TBH.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Extreme_One said:

It did have an incredibly ugly body kit, was probably lowered too. Horrible ugly thing it was.

Smashing it up was the best end for it TBH.

Agreed 👍

On 9/19/2022 at 2:31 PM, Extreme_One said:

I still don't think it will be a write off, unless you now tell me otherwise.

It may be split liability for you hitting the car in front as we're supposed to leave sufficient space to avoid hitting.  I hope I'm wrong though.

7 hours ago, 2badmice said:

we're supposed to leave sufficient space to avoid hitting

There was about 2 metres between my front bumper and her rear bumper when I stopped.

A car ploughing into the back of you at 35mph does have a tendency to move your car forward quite a distance. 😁

The first damage assessor reckons it'll be repaired, not written off.

I need to take it to the main dealer to get a second quote later this week 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, 2badmice said:

It may be split liability for you hitting the car in front as we're supposed to leave sufficient space to avoid hitting.  I hope I'm wrong though.

I think you're misinterpreting the rule about safe separation distance, or the "2 second rule" as I was taught it. That's more for vehicles in motion, and is to help you stop in time if the car in front suddenly stops.

To my knowledge there is no similar guidance or requirement for stationary vehicles to leave enough space to avoid a collision, as by definition you're stopped, so a collision caused by you is impossible at any distance.

I'm not even sure how you'd make such a rule anyway as, by the "leave sufficient space to avoid hitting" logic, you'd need to leave a 20m+ gap in front of you every time you stopped in case a HGV crashed into the back of you, which isn't really practical! :laugh: 

Having been in similar collisions a few times in my and other peoples cars, the fact that the car behind hit so hard that it pushed a stationary braked vehicle into the one in front, has always been proof of a lack of "due care and attention" by that driver and all the blame will lie with them, end of.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2022 at 4:34 PM, Extreme_One said:

3 hours ago, Extreme_One said:

There was about 2 metres between my front bumper and her rear bumper when I stopped.

A car ploughing into the back of you at 35mph does have a tendency to move your car forward quite a distance. 😁

The first damage assessor reckons it'll be repaired, not written off.

I need to take it to the main dealer to get a second quote later this week 

Of course I am fully aware of physics and laws of gravity, but when you hit someone in the rear the front car claims from the insurance company of who hit them rather than who caused it.

23 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I think you're misinterpreting the rule about safe separation distance, or the "2 second rule" as I was taught it. That's more for vehicles in motion, and is to help you stop in time if the car in front suddenly stops.

To my knowledge there is no similar guidance or requirement for stationary vehicles to leave enough space to avoid a collision, as by definition you're stopped, so a collision caused by you is impossible at any distance.

I'm not even sure how you'd make such a rule anyway as, by the "leave sufficient space to avoid hitting" logic, you'd need to leave a 20m+ gap in front of you every time you stopped in case a HGV crashed into the back of you, which isn't really practical! :laugh: 

Having been in similar collisions a few times in my and other peoples cars, the fact that the car behind hit so hard that it pushed a stationary braked vehicle into the one in front, has always been proof of a lack of "due care and attention" by that driver and all the blame will lie with them, end of.

I can only apologise for wrong information, due to working for an insurance approved accident repair centre, I'm only going off the information our clients provide when they dispute paying the excess as liability is split and contested by the TPI and not waived.

I don't see this all the way through as at the end of the repairs and they pay, that's usually the last I see of the client.  What happens between all the insurance companies, is between them and their client.

Don't have to apologise! We're all just talking here! :smile:

I would imagine the 'punter' would want to limit liability as much as possible so could try to argue against responsibility for both, but they'd need some angle to try and argue that. In the incidents I was involved in, me and the Royal Mail van that got punted into me both claimed off the guy at the back, and when I was the 'sandwiched' party, the guy in front also agreed it was the fault of the guy who hit us, so again, we both claimed off his insurance.

In both cases there was no argument as it was clear they were the cause of the collisions.

• Like 4

On 9/26/2022 at 7:42 PM, Cyker said:

I completely ignore if there's such a rule in the UK or any other country on Earth, but supposedly is 'best practice' to leave enough distance between immobile cars such as you can barely see the rear wheels of the car in front. Of course that is impossible or counterproductive in cities, and if someone crash behind you while you're stationary or on the last phase of braking, that guy is at fault for the feasible three damaged cars indeed...

• Like 2

Years ago the advance driving recommendation was “TT” which stood for Tyre & Tarmac when stopping behind a stationary car. So when you stop you were supposed to be able to see the tyres on the tarmac of the car in front. This is easier said than done, it feels like miles away and if everyone did it just imagine the length added to a queue.

• Like 4

My Corolla was parked up (I wasn't in it)and got hit in the front, which pushed it backwards into a wall, and sideways into an Aygo, all four corners were damaged, along with 5 other cars, didn't look to bad to be honest, it got written off, was only 9 months old 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2