Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota corolla 1.8 TS "not ready to drive"

PRus

Morning, 

We've encountered a problem with our car this morning, it just won't start and it says "not ready to drive" my wife says. I'm at work at the moment and tonight I will have a look at the car. It never happened to us and the car gets driven nearly daily around 10-15 miles with the occasional motorway work 2-3 times a week.

What should I look for before I call Toyota? 

IMG-20220913-WA0000.jpg

Certainly does sound like the 12v Battery low Philip, but with the regular use I would not have expected it to be 😕

I would suggest switching everything off and locking up the car, leave for ten minutes then try again. Other than that it means lifting the bonnet and investigating, which I doubt your wife will want to do.

Hopefully someone will post shortly with a better idea.

• Like 2

Thanks, forgot to mention that the car is a 19 plate, so the 12v Battery is 5 years old I reckon. 

And I have a Nextbase Dashcam piggybacked with the hardwire kit to the fuses but it's got  a built in cut off protection. Never had a problem with it since Ive installed it 6 months ago. 

• Like 3

May be a daft question, is she pressing the brake pedal when pressing start button? You get that message when you are on ignition mode, rather than ‘ready’. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Gray86

I would suppose so, she is driving the car mostly. Maybe she was in a rush this morning, don't know, I'll check later tonight and I'll keep you posted. Luckly my neighbour is a mechanic so he will have a look tonight as well. 

• Like 2

Well, on display there is a message to press brake and push start button again, this is what needs to be checked. Sometimes these cars does that and also they does it after Battery was disconnected, so likely to have something with low Battery, or simply wife did not stepped on the brake. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PRus said:

Thanks, forgot to mention that the car is a 19 plate, so the 12v battery is 5 years old I reckon. 

And I have a nextbase dashcam piggybacked with the hardwire kit to the fuses but it's got  a built in cut off protection. Never had a problem with it since Ive installed it 6 months ago. 

Unless there is also a timer associated with the camera cut-off system you will be constantly discharging the 12V Battery to a fairly low state of charge - which your stated driving will (in the long term) probably not fully re-charge. Therfore you will be degrading the Battery over a period of time, both in terms of state of charge and it's general condition. These hybrids are VERY delicate (far, far too delicate IMHO) with the 12V Battery - and it doesn't take very much to push them over the edge. 

• Like 3

I have never had the notice not ready to start,but I have had  a blank screen,and be unable to start my car, by opening the drivers door and banging it  shut the normal start up notice came on in the display. I had locked the doors when I got in the car,and my smart key is disabled, maybe the cause??? I do not now lock the doors until ready notice appears.

Hey peeps, 

It turns out that the Battery is on the way out. I'll have to get a new one tomorrow. Jump started it no problems and I gave it a good motorway run to charge the Battery slightly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Corollanutter said:

Unless there is also a timer associated with the camera cut-off system you will be constantly discharging the 12V battery to a fairly low state of charge - which your stated driving will (in the long term) probably not fully re-charge. Therfore you will be degrading the battery over a period of time, both in terms of state of charge and it's general condition. These hybrids are VERY delicate (far, far too delicate IMHO) with the 12V battery - and it doesn't take very much to push them over the edge. 

The dash cam goes to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity. To technically it wouldn't need to rely on the 12v to stay on when the engine is off, the bulit in Battery of the dash cam can provide 15 minutes of recording.... 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, PRus said:

Hey peeps, 

It turns out that the battery is on the way out. I'll have to get a new one tomorrow. Jump started it no problems and I gave it a good motorway run to charge the battery slightly.

I recon that a Battery condition by a smart charger would get it as good as new. An option (at circa £60) if Toyota dont replace the Battery under warranty, as an alternative to a new Battery (£150+) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last time I checked Yuasa Battery type YBX5202 was just under £60 or

suplied & fitted at Halfords about £120

Please note some batterys poles are reversed and some Battery have lugs at the base for the clamp.

• Thanks 1

I wonder what a main dealer would charge😉

I know some main dealer prices for tyres can be very competitive, I don’t know about Toyota though.

• Like 1

Mine offer price matching, but only to local garages and you must have proof in the form of a quote on branded stationary.

I expect Toyota prices are slightly more expensive you can always ring them for a quote.

On the other hand remeber Toyota offer free puncture repairs if your car was serviced by them year on year

Technically they offer it if you have any Toyota, but in reality they effectively don't, as they make you book an appointment and won't do it there and then; I've never heard of them repairing a puncture if you just rock up with one.

The first and only time I tried to avail myself of this 'service' at my local dealer, I was told the earliest they could do it was in two weeks, and I just never bothered trying them again - Who's going to drive around with a puncture for 2 weeks??