Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris MK1 Independent Rear Suspension

Saffy24680

Hi all, so I watched a video somewhere a while back on the MK1 Auris and it was said that the Auris came with independent suspension on some models of the pre-facelift such as the SR180 and was standard on the facelift models on all engine types and specs. I just want to know how true this is as I have tried to do some research about it and have found nothing at all.

Look forward to hearing from you all!  

P.S I genuinely have no clue which video it was

21 hours ago, Saffy24680 said:

Hi all, so I watched a video somewhere a while back on the MK1 Auris and it was said that the Auris came with independent suspension on some models of the pre-facelift such as the SR180 and was standard on the facelift models on all engine types and specs. I just want to know how true this is as I have tried to do some research about it and have found nothing at all.

Look forward to hearing from you all!  

P.S I genuinely have no clue which video it was

As far as I know, the SR180 had independent rear suspension (double wishbone).  All other variants had torsion beam rear suspension.

All facelift models have torsion beam rear suspension except for the 2.2 D-CAT 177BHP which had double wishbone rear suspension.

So basically the same setups pre and post facelift.

On 9/14/2022 at 8:53 PM, Oisin said:

As far as I know, the SR180 had independent rear suspension (double wishbone).  All other variants had torsion beam rear suspension.

All facelift models have torsion beam rear suspension except for the 2.2 D-CAT 177BHP which had double wishbone rear suspension.

So basically the same setups pre and post facelift.

Thank you for your response, would it be possible to put the independent rear suspension from the SR180 into a 2009 1.6 Auris or a 2009 1.33 Auris? if so is it just a bolt in job?

8 hours ago, Saffy24680 said:

Thank you for your response, would it be possible to put the independent rear suspension from the SR180 into a 2009 1.6 Auris or a 2009 1.33 Auris? if so is it just a bolt in job?

Why do you need to do that on Auris? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Saffy24680 said:

Really not sure about that.  Maybe somebody else could advise. 

But smaller lighter cars do not get the same benefit from independent rear suspension as heavier cars.  So in my opinion not worth doing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Why do you need to do that on Auris? 

so I know that the Auris isn't a race car by any means but when I drove it around a tight chicane I noticed that the car didn't really corner well, I feet as if it was skipping around the corner, I honestly have no plans to get rid of my Auris at all so I've made it my mission to make the best Auris ever! so naturally I would like to have the best parts there is for an Auris on my Auris, yes I know it sound stupid but I really think the Auris has potential to be a even better car than it is!

5 hours ago, Oisin said:

Really not sure about that.  Maybe somebody else could advise. 

But smaller lighter cars do not get the same benefit from independent rear suspension as heavier cars.  So in my opinion not worth doing.

Ahhh I see, even so will it make the handling better for lighter cars? if it is a big job then maybe not worth it! 

Thank you both for your replies, it is always much appreciated, its too bad that the Auris culture in the UK isn't as big as it is in places such as South Africa, I've seen some crazy examples of the Auris in videos from South Africa, its a shame they didn't release the 1.8 valematic version here in the UK although I have heard a few people owning these unicorns of an Auris here on this forum.

59 minutes ago, Saffy24680 said:

so I know that the Auris isn't a race car by any means but when I drove it around a tight chicane I noticed that the car didn't really corner well, I feet as if it was skipping around the corner, I honestly have no plans to get rid of my Auris at all so I've made it my mission to make the best Auris ever! so naturally I would like to have the best parts there is for an Auris on my Auris, yes I know it sound stupid but I really think the Auris has potential to be a even better car than it is!

Ahhh I see, even so will it make the handling better for lighter cars? if it is a big job then maybe not worth it! 

Thank you both for your replies, it is always much appreciated, its too bad that the Auris culture in the UK isn't as big as it is in places such as South Africa, I've seen some crazy examples of the Auris in videos from South Africa, its a shame they didn't release the 1.8 valematic version here in the UK although I have heard a few people owning these unicorns of an Auris here on this forum.

Perhaps check rear suspension springs for any rust or breaks, they tend to break top end and if you have a broken spring or two the car will handle poorly in sharper turns as the spring will become softer, that was what happened to my Auris and after a while found the spring peace missing. New springs and rubber mounts installed and the car is great to drive again. 👌

• Like 1

Just replace your springs. I have Eibachs fitted and it’s a much nicer ride now. How old are your tyres? Newer ones with stiffer sidewalls would help too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Perhaps check rear suspension springs for any rust or breaks, they tend to break top end and if you have a broken spring or two the car will handle poorly in sharper turns as the spring will become softer, that was what happened to my Auris and after a while found the spring peace missing. New springs and rubber mounts installed and the car is great to drive again. 👌

Oh I see, I just thought that it would be a characteristic of a torsion beam suspension, I will have it checked out and see! Thank you for your help!

22 hours ago, MrZardoz said:

Just replace your springs. I have Eibachs fitted and it’s a much nicer ride now. How old are your tyres? Newer ones with stiffer sidewalls would help too.

Are the Eibach springs that you have installed on your car, the ones found in the SR180? and are the springs from the SR180 a direct fit into the standard Aurises?
My tyres are fairly new actually, the front tyres are less than 3 months old and the rear tyres are not that old so it should be okay right? 

No, the Eibachs are aftermarket. I believe the Springs factory fitted on the SR180 give it a 20-25mm lower stance than the other Aurus models. Mine have given me a 30mm drop.

6 hours ago, MrZardoz said:

No, the Eibachs are aftermarket. I believe the Springs factory fitted on the SR180 give it a 20-25mm lower stance than the other Aurus models. Mine have given me a 30mm drop.

Thank you for that insight, I will look into doing this and see where we go from there, would you happen to know which springs the SR180 uses and would it be able to fit into a standard model Auris as I might not want to have a 30mm drop but possibly the same drop as an SR180 just for comfort.

Sorry, I’m not sure who manufactures the SR180 springs. I can vouch that ride comfort isnt adversely effected by the Eibachs on standard struts though. In fact I’d be comfortable with going even lower. Still plenty of space in the arches, certainly not ‘slammed’.

Been over this before recently, here’s a thread that includes photos too. Hope this helps with your decision either way.

15 hours ago, MrZardoz said:

Been over this before recently, here’s a thread that includes photos too. Hope this helps with your decision either way.

Thank you for that, I might just do exactly that then, hoping to find a good set of pitlane alloys too to finish it off!

• Like 1