Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disable AVAS

Simone80

hi guys

I have the 2022 2.0 model that come with the tremendous AVAS system, does anyone know if it can be disabled without having warnings in the dash? I read elsewhere (rav4 usa?) that someone placed homemede custom electrical resistance plugged in the original cable but I am not that skylly

and.. where is located? I can't find it looking in the engine bay, wasn't supposed to be in the full upper-front?

AVAS is a legal requirement - so cannot be disabled.

• Like 2

I was just out running and this 21 plate ev Jaguar thing went past and I couldn't hear any kind of sound like the RAV does.  I could hear the hum of the electric motor so perhaps their AVAS is that, more of the same, rather than the choral effort Toyota does 😁

2 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

this 21 plate ev Jaguar thing went past and I couldn't hear any kind of sound like the RAV does.

If it was registered before July 21, it wouldn't necessarily be required to have AVAS, as it only became mandatory for all EVs/hybrids  from the July.

• Like 1

FWIW I'd like the AVAS to be louder when driving forward as I've had idiots still walk out in front of me while in EV mode.

• Like 1

my opinion is that they should gave the owner a setting lets say from 0 to 5 for the AVAS volume

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Simone80 said:

my opinion is that they should gave the owner a setting lets say from 0 to 5 for the AVAS volume

Which wouldn't satisfy the main reason for the legislation - which is to provide audible warnings for visually impaired people that a vehicle is approaching.

• Like 1

I looked at the customisable features in the owners manual & the AVAS isn't mentioned so next time I visit my Toyota dealer Ill enquire if they can turn the volume up in the forward direction. 

It just feels really loud when I'm backing onto the drive late at night.

7 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

It is louder in reverse, I just wish it was as loud going forwards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

So the first time I drove my Mk4 home from my brother's house, crept up my street at 3am, windows down as it was a nice night, figured I'd go all stealthy to my drive.

Car was silent as a cat as I pulled into my road on MG2 alone... started rolling up my street, foot lightly on the accelerator but letting speed slowly bleed off... then suddenly WOOOooooOOOOooooOOOO :eek: The car had dropped below something like 12mph which triggered the AVAS!! :eek: 

It seemed so loud and the sound was bouncing off all the houses and I thought I'd wake everyone up!! :eek: So I sped up as I knew the AVAS turns off above ~16mph, but then that fired up the 3-pot which was even noiser!! :eek: :laugh: 

So that was my first night experience of the AVAS :laugh: 

I think it wasn't really that loud, but compared to the silence in the dead of night it's like Iron Maiden have suddenly rocked up and started playing a set :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2022 at 1:08 PM, Simone80 said:

hi guys

I have the 2022 2.0 model that come with the tremendous AVAS system, does anyone know if it can be disabled without having warnings in the dash? I read elsewhere (rav4 usa?) that someone placed homemede custom electrical resistance plugged in the original cable but I am not that skylly

and.. where is located? I can't find it looking in the engine bay, wasn't supposed to be in the full upper-front?

I'm bewildered, why on earth would you want to?

It's there for a purpose and I have had encounters with jaywalkers that haven't even heard or understood the AVAS noise from the car.

Is there not a button to turn it off if you wish so? Hyundai has it on the right next to light adjustment up or down and avas turn ON itself when restart the car. I don’t like it too, just sounds strange to me. 

58 minutes ago, GBgraham said:

I'm bewildered, why on earth would you want to?

It's there for a purpose and I have had encounters with jaywalkers that haven't even heard or understood the AVAS noise from the car.

that's it. reasons?

1) pedestrians don't recognize that sound as a car, they don't even move

2) people look you weirdly like you are driving a spaceship or just a bad tuned/pimpmyrided car

3) at night in the common garages/boxes spaces it roumbles/reverberates through the walls, neighbours are not happy

4) I paid for a silent car

imho best thing is a LOUDER and RECOGNIZABLE (as a car) system with a switch next to the steering wheel: when I have to use it I would switch it ON and then again OFF when done. when the ICE is ON, it seems that it makes a lower noise for me

or.. if I can tear it out of the car, i will use the old good horn when needed

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Simone80 said:

if I can tear it out of the car, i will use the old good horn when needed

You need to speak to Noddy first as it seems Toyota use a manufacturer in Toyland to supply the horn.

It's another thing on my list to upgrade.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Is there not a button to turn it off if you wish so? 

Nope no button.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Simone80 said:

that's it. reasons?

1) pedestrians don't recognize that sound as a car, they don't even move

2) people look you weirdly like you are driving a spaceship or just a bad tuned/pimpmyrided car

3) at night in the common garages/boxes spaces it roumbles/reverberates through the walls, neighbours are not happy

4) I paid for a silent car

imho best thing is a LOUDER and RECOGNIZABLE (as a car) system with a switch next to the steering wheel: when I have to use it I would switch it ON and then again OFF when done. when the ICE is ON, it seems that it makes a lower noise for me

or.. if I can tear it out of the car, i will use the old good horn when needed

Indeed. 
I recently noticed same noise on ford galaxy fairly new model, and you can hear clearly two noises from the engine and from the avas. Love the older generations hybrids before the stupid Ava’s how nice and quieter they are. Just the smooth electromagnetic sounds from the motor generators. 

51 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

You need to speak to Noddy first as it seems Toyota use a manufacturer in Toyland to supply the horn.

It's another thing on my list to upgrade.

Aye, we've chatted about this before.  We reckon it's to do with the national character.  Japanese horns are polite.  German horns shatter the eardrums of the underclass as they go past.  Like the massive single wiper Mercs used to have that bludgeoned passers by with gallons of water.  😁

• Like 1

There used to be a button to disable it on previous hybrids, but since it became mandatory to have it at low speeds on newer cars, the button was removed :sad: 

• Like 1

On cars where AVAS was fitted before being needed (ie. If their Type Approval pre-dated July 2019 and had an AVAS system fitted prior to July 2021) some manufacturers fitted an on/off switch as the system wasn't a legal requirement for those vehicles.

The system is primarily aimed at helping visually impaired pedestrians become aware of an approaching  hybrid of electric vehicle.

I quite like the old brass trumpet horns with a rubber bulb on them.

How this would fit with current "audible warning" legislation I don't know.

And of course there is the problem of fitting this in with modern car design which favours more and more complication over simple things that work.

I think that a polished horn on the drivers door of the tsport could work quite well, in a kind of post modern, steam punk, hipster,ironic ,complicated way.

Especially if screwed on with slot headed rusty old wood screws.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 10:32 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The system is primarily aimed at helping visually impaired pedestrians become aware of an approaching  hybrid of electric vehicle.

don't you think that those "sounds" should be all the same for every car? so a blind person doesn't have to learn all the manufacturers weird sounds?

as stated before, pedestrians don't recognize the toyota spaceshift as a car

• Like 1

Sighted pedestrians don't need to as they have other means to know when a vehicle is approaching - sight.

However,  visually impaired need to know there is something within their vicinity.

AVAS came about due to  campaigning for something like this by groups and charities representing visually impaired  people. 

The legislation is across the UK/EU.

Just get on with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1