Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Disable AVAS

Simone80

1 hour ago, Simone80 said:

don't you think that those "sounds" should be all the same for every car? so a blind person doesn't have to learn all the manufacturers weird sounds?

as stated before, pedestrians don't recognize the toyota spaceshift as a car

That would make sense yes, one common, recognisable sound

Bearing in mind the target group the legislation is meant to protect (visually impaired), having one common sound may make it more difficult to determine how many vehicles are in one's vicinity. 

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Sighted pedestrians don't need to as they have other means to know when a vehicle is approaching - sight.

However,  visually impaired need to know there is something within their vicinity.

AVAS came about due to  campaigning for something like this by groups and charities representing visually impaired  people. 

The legislation is across the UK/EU.

Just get on with it.

As a follow on from my earlier post . . . Sorry I can't agree, people just wander about looking and not seeing, so don't think sighted persons are aware of their surroundings, they are not to be taken for granted.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GBgraham said:

Sorry I can't agree

Nevertheless the legislation is intended to protect the visually impaired rather than those who are sighted.

TBH the AVAS is not very effective - About the only time pedestrians pay attention to a sound is if it's a high-revving engine, because it's loud scary and screams A Boy Racer Is Going To Kill you, which gets attention. Otherwise they act like blind deaf lemmings most of the time.

The problem is they can't make it loud enough to get attention, as we'd all be getting fined for noise pollution, but they also can't not have it because of the law. (And newer rules are likely going to make newer vehicles even more obnoxious from what I've gleaned!)

As it is the road noise my Yaris makes is louder than the AVAS unless I'm practically not moving. 

I was thinking it's a bit ironic that they want to make the car louder for safety reasons, but make the tyres quieter for noise pollution reasons - Probably wouldn't need AVAS if tyres were louder, and tyre noise is far more intuitive and directional than the multitude of arbitrary AVAS sounds... (They should just mandate an official AVAS sound for consistency, and make it that of an idling Mk2 Impreza WRX or big Harley Davidson - That slightly menacing burble would get noticed without being too loud :laugh: )

• Like 1

But  the avas is for low speed only where no tyre noise is present at all. My car is literally silent at speeds of 10mph, no noise at all. It’s like electric scooter, same noise type and levels which I think is enough but the bodies decided it’s not and they tried to amplified that humming noises but just made them a bit funny. I had recently experienced something that avas showed me that the car behind was actually moving slowly backwards when I was reversing towards him, no other signs were present except the creepy avas noise of the latest rav4. 

Surely you are now proving the point for a warning so I'm still bewildered why anyone would want to remove or switch off what bit of waring these cars have. I've had one person attempting to walk in front of me, thankfully the auto braking kicked in. The others have just been people jumping out of their skin when they realise a car has just crept upon them out of nowhere.

To be fair, people will do those thing with normal cars, not just EVs and hybrids - It's something that happened to me now and then even in my old Mk1 diesel Yaris, and that was dakka as heck :laugh:

• 7 months later...

There is a product which allows you to disable it for use on private land. I use mine on private land quite a lot (I work at stables and often late at night, so don't want to disturb others and their horses).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314509792004

Obviously, on any public road it should be disabled and sound should be emitted at all times to warn the visually impaired.

Thanks,
AM

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2023 at 10:41 AM, AGM said:

There is a product which allows you to disable it for use on private land. I use mine on private land quite a lot (I work at stables and often late at night, so don't want to disturb others and their horses).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314509792004

Obviously, on any public road it should be disabled and sound should be emitted at all times to warn the visually impaired.

Thanks,
AM

in the compatibility list it isn't written CHR compatible, did you try with an CHR > MY22?

I don't even know where is located

4 hours ago, Simone80 said:

in the compatibility list it isn't written CHR compatible, did you try with an CHR > MY22?

I don't even know where is located

I'm still bewildered why you would want to spend over £67 to become illegal.

Just say you was in an accident with your gizmo fitted and by some stroke of luck your insurance found out . . . . who foots the bill?

I can tell you it won't be the insurance company  

I won't buy that stuff because the switch will be in the hood, so I don't want to be turned off forever

if there will be something that can be activated or deactivated from the cabin maybe I will buy it

I explained my thoughts of this system in the previous page

• 5 weeks later...

I wonder if they will end up fitting AVAS to ICE cars as some modern engines are virtually inaudible at low speeds too, so not just hybrids/EV’s

Tesla’’s only seem to make a noise in reverse which is odd.  

I had a real shock the other week when a new ICE car crept up behind me. Also rear engined buses where they are so quiet when approaching at low speed as the engine is so far away. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links