Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yokohama AVID GT - horrible performance on wet roads

kucyk

Hey guys, these came with my RAV4 Plug-in and I'm just wondering if I need to lower my expectations due to the weight of the car or those tyres are just bad. I find them okey on the dry roads, but as soon as there is a little bit of rain, the grip on the wet surface is horrendous. On the roundabouts it feels more like ice skating not driving the car. The tread noise over 80mph is also very annoying. Did anyone upgrade them? Is it worth it? What to get? I think I was looking at Michelin Crossclimate 2 at some stage, but not sure what kind of upgrade to expect.

Hi, 

Michelin cc definitely better or perhaps best option for you. Many new hev phev or bev comes with low rolling resistance tyres that are not good at all especially in cold and wet, they become hard plastic and ultra slippery. Adjusting tyre pressure to lower numbers can help a bit but replacing with something better all season is the best option. 👍

• Like 4

Michelin Crossclimates are brilliant.

Not cheap, but soften the ride, feel safe in all weathers, tackle snow.

Love them.

• Like 5

I noticed recently how bad these Avids are in the wet and they certainly don't inspire much confidence, like I was driving on cross plies. Seems an awful waste of cash to replace a set of hardly used tyres so I'm just going to be super cautious for now in the wet. I'll change to Cross Climates as soon as my patience runs out.

• Like 4

I’d certainly opt for Cross Climates when the time comes.

To date I’ve been surprised overall at how good the OEM tyres are for the PHEV. Not obviously as good as the CC’s but for a standard fit I think they perform pretty well. I guess some of it is down to driving style and expectations but although I’d budgeted a new set of CC’s from day one I’ve been happy to keep the money until I figure they need replacing.

I’ve driven in snow and ice on country roads and heavy rain on the motorway and felt comfortable.

I note that the PHEV fit is the same as the dedicated Volvo CC tyre which is fitted as standard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NASY said:

I noticed recently how bad these Avids are in the wet and they certainly don't inspire much confidence, like I was driving on cross plies. Seems an awful waste of cash to replace a set of hardly used tyres so I'm just going to be super cautious for now in the wet. I'll change to Cross Climates as soon as my patience runs out.

Just buy new Michelin and sell the yoko on eBay or Facebook. I be done that for years if not happy with the tyres or wheels. 👌

Find them ok overall. Good in the dry. Not great in snow or wet but not a concern. It is a 2 tonne car. Ok on light trails. Never had an issue there including muddy inclines. If it weren't a company car I'd switch to CC however.

Curiously, I was just watching the most recent Tyre Reviews video, and it seems the CrossClimate 2 is better in snowy conditions but not as good in the wet and dry as the original CrossClimate and CrossClimate+, so may be able to save some money getting the older version as they'd be more suited for the UK climate if this is true... (Certainly down here - It snows maybe a handful of days a year, if you're lucky (Or unlucky, depending on whether you like snow or not! :laugh: ))

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Curiously, I was just watching the most recent Tyre Reviews video, and it seems the CrossClimate 2 is better in snowy conditions but not as good in the wet and dry as the original CrossClimate and CrossClimate+, so may be able to save some money getting the older version as they'd be more suited for the UK climate if this is true... (Certainly down here - It snows maybe a handful of days a year, if you're lucky (Or unlucky, depending on whether you like snow or not! :laugh: ))

Yeh mostly just wet up here in the NW. Snow very rare closer to the coast.

• Like 1

plus, the CrossClimates for the RAV4 will be the SUV version with the suffer side walls.

Costco are currently selling them @£157.17 plus £8.40 fitting but if you change all four £100 discount.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Automotive/Tyres-Accessories/Tyres/Michelin-23555-R19-105-W-Cross-Climate-SUV-XL/tire/p/386680

Screenshot 2022-09-16 at 07.34.30.png

• Like 6

It snows a lot where I am (unless of course climate change pans it) and I have a pretty steep driveway to the road. I've had to use my tractor to tow many visiting tradesmen and Tesco delivery people out in the winter, so the Cross Climate 2's should suit me well. I have a good local tyre shop who I use rather than going for the absolute cheapest deal I like to see my cash go to locals as much as possible.

• Like 3

I find the Dunlup Grandtrek on my HEV can unstick easily too.  I think it is because there's so much torque instantly at standstill and although it's a CVT I believe it's basically locked at standstill too so gives instant drive.  I've had to learn to progressively apply the accelerator even more than when I had torquey diesels as even those had to spool up to deliver the torque.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I find the Dunlup Grandtrek on my HEV can unstick easily too.  I think it is because there's so much torque instantly at standstill and although it's a CVT I believe it's basically locked at standstill too so gives instant drive.  I've had to learn to progressively apply the accelerator even more than when I had torquey diesels as even those had to spool up to deliver the torque.

In Toyota Hybrids the electric motor is connected directly to the diff and wheels, no clutch or fluid in torque converter to dampen the force. The good bit is that if you are gentle on the accelerator you have all the torque at low rpm, with good tyres you can drive through snow and ice easier  than standard ice cars. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NASY said:

…. I have a good local tyre shop who I use rather than going for the absolute cheapest deal I like to see my cash go to locals as much as possible.

Agree in principle and we try to buy local wherever possible. However, the local prices are massively disappointing and in honesty the local Costco we use does pay a lot into the local council and employs a lot of local people so I don’t feel so bad. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links