Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2014 Hybrid 80k miles is it worth £10500?

Bruce Lea

1 hour ago, Bruce Lea said:

Is shell vpower better to use  than Morrisons or any supermarket for hybrid?

Oh yes , of course it is. Best to avoid using any supermarket cheap E10 petrol  and particularly Sainsbury’s or Morrisons, Tesco E5 99 it’s fine . BP E10 95 most garages ok and their 99 and v power 99 from Shell are good ones along with esso.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Oh yes , of course it is. Best to avoid using any supermarket cheap E10 petrol  and particularly Sainsbury’s or Morrisons, Tesco E5 99 it’s fine . BP E10 95 most garages ok and their 99 and v power 99 from shell are good ones along with esso.  

So Shell or esso is the best for hybrid, but stay well away from supermarket fuel

• Like 1

BP best I've used in my Mark 4 Yaris so far, supermarket fuel (Tesco's & Morrisons) got less MPG.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eddie G said:

BP best I've used in my Mark 4 Yaris so far, supermarket fuel (Tesco's & Morrisons) got less MPG.

Agreed, my local bp has the best quality of all petrol I had tried. 👍 The thing is that not all garages are the same even under same brand and same fuels. You need to try different ones and see how the engine works , consumption, noise, acceleration and response and stick with these garages. Tescos lately been not as good as before even e5 99. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bruce Lea said:

So shell or esso is the best for hybrid, but stay well away from supermarket fuel

BP with M&S shops are imo the best quality fuels. Some good Shell with Waitrose shops too. Price difference of 5p is negligible and should not be a factor to anyone. In 42ltr talk savings are nothing, better fuel is better for the car in a long run. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bruce Lea said:

So shell or esso is the best for hybrid, but stay well away from supermarket fuel

I've put nothing but supermarket fuel in all my cars over the last 30 years and have not had any issues with any of them.

Supermarkets are not in the business of selling fuel that will be harmful or low quality. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Stivino said:

I've put nothing but supermarket fuel in all my cars over the last 30 years and have not had any issues with any of them.

Supermarkets are not in the business of selling fuel that will be harmful or low quality. 

You've been lucky Stephen 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hybrid21 said:

You've been lucky Stephen 👍

Me and millions of others?

• Like 1

If any one driver doesn’t feel any difference in engine noise and performance then there is no point to talk about difference in fuel quality in general.
Everyone is free to choose and fill whatever likes, some will go for the cheaper one available, some will look for efficiency, performance etc. I know what I am after and for me the cheapest supermarket fuels are no go and I do use a lots of fuel every week.  
Just filled up at local Shell that I like the fuels there , 27ltr total traveled 351 miles, my last two days of work. Btw the price was cheapest since a long ago 159.9p E10 95 and the car drives very well, I had 15ltr of E5 99 from BP in the tank. 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Agreed, my local bp has the best quality of all petrol I had tried. 👍 The thing is that not all garages are the same even under same brand and same fuels. You need to try different ones and see how the engine works , consumption, noise, acceleration and response and stick with these garages. Tescos lately been not as good as before even e5 99. 

Good points, will be sticking with the same BP garage even the engine felt a tad more smoother.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2022 at 6:14 PM, Stivino said:

Supermarket full is low quality and designed to damage the engine, see

The next big lie,The E10 fuel scam! 😯

E10 petrol Ethanol has less energy than gasoline and as such your fuel economy will drop meaning you use more fuel to go the same distance ultimately meaning you buy more fuel and pay more fuel duty and VAT

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CrYIRhyB9i0

• Like 2

E10 destroys your car period! They want to knock out older cars so you half to buy new and or electric, E10 eats up metal and rubber gaskets! This is on purpose!

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

If any one driver doesn’t feel any difference in engine noise and performance then there is no point to talk about difference in fuel quality in general.
Everyone is free to choose and fill whatever likes, some will go for the cheaper one available, some will look for efficiency, performance etc. I know what I am after and for me the cheapest supermarket fuels are no go and I do use a lots of fuel every week.  
Just filled up at local shell that I like the fuels there , 27ltr total traveled 351 miles, my last two days of work. Btw the price was cheapest since a long ago 159.9p E10 95 and the car drives very well, I had 15ltr of E5 99 from BP in the tank. 👍

What car for you drive? 351 miles on full tank?

44 minutes ago, Bruce Lea said:

What car for you drive? 351 miles on full tank?

351 miles with 27 ltr of petrol not full tank, and this equals 59mpg or  4.8l/100km.  Last few nights been chilly and was rainy. Consumption went immediately down from 62mpg. My car is Auris hybrid gen 1 , same engine as yours. 👍

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bruce Lea said:

Supermarket full is low quality and designed to damage the engine

rofl

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

351 miles with 27 ltr of petrol not full tank, and this equals 59mpg or  4.8l/100km.  Last few nights been chilly and was rainy. Consumption went immediately down from 62mpg. My car is Auris hybrid gen 1 , same engine as yours. 👍

How much do you get on a full tank and which fuel do you use?

How much do you get on a full tank and which fuel do you use?

My range estimate varies between winter and summer from 420 to 535 miles. I am confident I can do that exactly as I do calculate myself and it’s very close to the car numbers +/- 1-3mpg. I mostly fill up again after the gauge shows less than a half or 3 to 4 bars remaining. I ve been trying many different garages in various locations in and around London and Hertfordshire and fuel quality vary between all even if it’s the same spec fuel.  I do drive on both E10 95 and E5 99 sometimes mix in between., here there is no problem at all.
BP is my favourite although not cheap, then some Shell as not all are good. Then some Tescos but only E5 99 momentum, Some Texaco and Esso garages are good too.
When you get use to the car and try different petrol stations and noticed difference stick with the garage that you feel your engine works quieter, accelerates quickly and the car feels more lively , these are all signs of good quality fuel, both types E10 or E5 are fine. 
What happens when you fill up Sainsbury or Morrisons or Asda cheap or at unknown name garages that sells cheap, these fuels has less additives and also likely been in bad storage tanks with dirt and water contamination , results are : engine knocks from miss fire at cold starts, rough idle, poor fuel economy, sluggish acceleration and slow response, a lot more noise especially when you push it to go, vibrations too. In our particular cars with bad quality fuels transition between electric and petrol it’s not smooth, you fill shift shocks often like in manual car, also can be hard clutch shocks from difficulties for the engine to switch off itself smoothly. 
Will your car breaks down from using these cheap fuels, we’ll probably not unless unlucky to fill up really bad one,. but using them exclusively with the time you will get issues for sure and most importantly, the car simply doesn’t drive as nice. This is my first point, smooth and efficient driving. 👍

• Like 1

The car has gone for mot at dealers and come up with

• Offside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Trailing (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))

will this be fixed before I pick up car? Was told it would get full service and whatever needs work will get sorted

Ok, I've never looked into it I'll admit, but surely in the UK any fuel has to pass the same minumum standard, and is tested regularly to check it?  Supermarket petrol stations are never quiet.

2 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Ok, I've never looked into it I'll admit, but surely in the UK any fuel has to pass the same minumum standard, and is tested regularly to check it?  Supermarket petrol stations are never quiet.

Supermarket petrol busy because the fuel is cheap dirty and the drivers don't know better

• Like 1

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/new-and-used-cars/article/supermarket-petrol-quality-what-you-need-to-know-aWlmN3O20LKI

I think the difference is in quality/quantity of additives such as detergents.  I don't beleive there's a conspiracy to destroy engines.

• Like 5

Supermarket petrol busy because the fuel is cheap dirty and the drivers don't know better

rofl

• Haha 1

Urban myth nonsense 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any petrol/diesel sold in the UK/EU must legally meet laid down standards - in the UK most pumps display the BS EN standard - and this includes fuel sold by supermarkets, smaller fuel distributers, national fuel distributers, etc.

Supermarkets, and major/minor fuel distributers use the same local wholesale fuel terminals to source their basic fuels, and tanker drivers add whatever additives package is used, to the fuel.

It is the additive packages which makes the difference between fuels.

As regards E10, it was known before the introduction that E10 gives potentially 1% or so, less fuel economy than E5.

At the end of the day, you decide which fuel to use and where you purchase it from - whether that is from supermarkets, major fuel distributers (BP, Shell, etc), or smaller fuel distributers (Applegreen, Gleaner, etc) - and depending what is available in your area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Lea said:

The car has gone for mot at dealers and come up with

• Offside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Trailing (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))

will this be fixed before I pick up car? Was told it would get full service and whatever needs work will get sorted

If you had a deal with dealer the car to be in top condition means that they should install new tyre (s) and replace trailing arm. MOT advisory means the problems are present at the time of purchase or before hand.
 We had similar experience with my gf car, dealer promised a lot of things on test drive and signing up contract then to find on collecting date that non of them has been completed. The car needed new windscreen, new rear brake pads, new sun visor, new rear tyre and new cabin and air filter. Job worth £1000 at least. After a lots of hassle they took the car back after two weeks , fixed all of that for free, provided my girlfriend with Brand new Aygo as courtesy car and have 5 years warranty for her car., but the branch manager needed to be involved. Why so many dealers are acting like gumtree solo traders until pushed to the corner it’s beyond me. Push hard and get your money worth. 👍

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links