Do Not Sell My Personal Information

kilometers

petervandendool

hallo, or hello, I'll do it in english, but I am Dutch.

I drive a RAV_4 IVV. it currently has 271.400 kilometrs on it,

I have no problems, other then that sometimes the gearbox rattles when I shift,but that can also be me, clutching to fast.

now, I want to put a pull and side bars on it, and exchange the audioset fotr a modern one....

my question, is the car worth that, it is a 800 euro investement, 

so, how many kilometers are left, can it reach 350000 or 400000km??

hope for quick and good answers.

thanx for reading it. Peter

That's a pretty unanswerable question ...

Toyota are happy to warrant their cars for 100,000 miles (160,000 km) or 10 years and owners would be 'disappointed' if their cars didn't manage that. Optimistically, one might hope that a car might go on to 200,000 miles (320,000 km) or 20 years but that is just a hope. The average car certainly won't economically go on much longer than that ...

Your car is already 17 years old and pushing 170,000 miles - it has already given good value, probably isn't worth very much - though the 3dr cars do seem to hold their value - and really isn't worth an €800 investment. But it is your money and you can spend it however you like! 😉

• Like 2

Hi Peter, I think if you are still happy with the car why not spend money on it to enhance your driving pleasure.

You can always remove any expensive accessories if you come to change it 👍

• Like 1

to philip42h, it reads as a well thought, saine answer.  and you are right, it's my money.  however, I love rav-4, so if I buy an other car it would be a RAV-4 again. I think I can interchange the new parts... that is where Hybrid21 comes in..... he's right also, I guess.  but do you two drive RAV-4?? and howmany miles are you at??

• Like 1

Hi Peter, my RAV4 is a 2021 AWD hybrid, and it's now done around 9000mls.

I did have a RAV4 5 door 2 litre petrol in 1996, but the 2021 is an entirely different vehicle these days 😀

The technology both incar and hybrid has came on leaps and bounds, but I do feel that the overall build quality in terms of fixtures and fittings has deteriorated somewhat.

Still a nice car to drive 👍

19 hours ago, petervandendool said:

do you two drive RAV-4?? and how many miles are you at??

I'm on my third RAV 4 - I've had a 4.3, 4.4 and now 4.5 and I've traded up to a new car before any of them reach 100,000 miles. I've never had a 4.1 or 4.2. But that's really not relevant to anything ...

It's not entirely clear from your profile exactly what model you have (?) but if I lookup a RAV4 NV VVTi (4.1) on How Many Left I can see that at the end of 2005 there were 5,907 on UK roads. As of the beginning of this year there were 1,986 (about 33%) still in use and another 570 still in existence but "off the road". This means that 3,351 have been scrapped (about 57%). Those are the numbers (for the UK).

This may not be the correct model but it is at least indicative of the longevity of the marque ...

• Like 1

I have a 2008 DCAT with about 205 000km. That won’t rise so fast now the children go to school by train.  I keep it on the road mainly to delay buying a replacement which will be full EV and cost me €45k at least. That delay means the selection of EVs broadens and the Battery range increases.  It’s a pleasure that I bought new Michelin tyres for it (so much quieter at speed than the previous) and got new shock absorbers all round.  I often think of getting a fancy satnav for €700+… but nah. Like you, I wonder if that’s worth the investment. 

• Like 1

Interesting about the Michelin tyres being quieter Brendan, think if I keep mine long enough that's probably the tyres I would go for.

My existing Toyo tyres are so noisy ☹️ but only done about 9000mls.

On 9/18/2022 at 11:53 AM, petervandendool said:

I drive a RAV_4 IVV. it currently has 271.400 kilometrs on it,

I have no problems, other then that sometimes the gearbox rattles when I shift,but that can also be me, clutching to fast.

now, I want to put a pull and side bars on it, and exchange the audioset fotr a modern one....

my question, is the car worth that, it is a 800 euro investement, 

so, how many kilometers are left, can it reach 350000 or 400000km??

As Philip was saying - impossible to answer with certainty. 

If you want to look at it from a crude, financial point of view, ask yourself this: How much will it cost you to replace your current RAV4 with a new or near new one?

Probably around 30000 EUR minimum. Then deduct what you could get for your current one - probably not much - 2k?. In other words, you'd need to budget for at least 28k to get a (new) replacement. 

If you instead keep your current car, that budget would easily pay for all your upgrades that you want to install and keeping the car running for another 270000 km - and leave you with spare cash for a long holiday.

Then it's up to you to decide how much you value modern conveniences, image, and reliability.  

You’ll also have to take into account value on the Dutch market. I understand that mine might be worth 2k? in the UK, but it’s probably worth 10k in Portugal, where new cars attract a huge purchase tax keeping all the s/h values high. 

9 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Interesting about the Michelin tyres being quieter Brendan, think if I keep mine long enough that's probably the tyres I would go for.

My existing Toyo tyres are so noisy ☹️ but only done about 9000mls.

Pilot Sport SUV, if I remember correctly. They have absolutely transformed long drives. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dippy said:

You’ll also have to take into account value on the Dutch market. I understand that mine might be worth 2k? in the UK, but it’s probably worth 10k in Portugal, where new cars attract a huge purchase tax keeping all the s/h values high. 

Yes, absolutely. I was just using some very rough estimations. The maths is the same though regardless of the local market values. 

What's your gut feeling? What would you like to do - buy a newer car or keep your current one going?

Right now I have my house which would easily absorb 40k in building work, which would be a far more profitable investment than 40k on a new car when my current one is so cheap to keep on the road. Easy decision for me.  

• Like 1