Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear seat belt warning

Michael L

Is there any way of disabling the rear seat belt warning? Every time I put a bag on the back seat and drive off it sets the alarm off. So I have to stop and buckle it up. Very annoying!

On another matter, every time I park my car and lock it I get a message on the app that says one of the doors is open even when it isn't. Also a bit annoying but less so because can be ignored!

Michael

2022 Touring Sports 1.8

Hi, 

I do all customisations with obd 2 adapter Carista on older auris, your Corolla may have as option in the car setting but if haven’t then an obd 2 is a good idea. Also reads engine faults, hybrid system, batteries etc. money well spent. 

• Like 2

Have a look in the owners manual at the customisable features section as it lists all the options / settings that can be tweaked - if it's listed there then the settings can be changed.

You may need to plug Techstream or Carista in to change some of these settings.

I tweaked some of my C-HR settings with Carista - easy enough to do & good investment.

• Like 3

Or put the bag on the floor ......

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Or put the bag on the floor ......

My workbag goes in the boot, I don't like unsecured items in the passenger cabin.

• Like 3

.... but depending on the size of the bag, placing it on the floor between the front and rear seat, can restrict any movement.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Just fasten the rear seat belt. 

That’s what I do.

• Like 4

Could keep the middle seat belt clicked in all the time and throw your bag there? 

• Like 3

From working out what happens with the dog in the back seat (he is secured to a strap that clips onto the isofix bracket) it would appear on the left and right seats have sensors, I never get an activation if the middle belt is unfastened.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kental said:

From working out what happens with the dog in the back seat (he is secured to a strap that clips onto the isofix bracket) it would appear on the left and right seats have sensors, I never get an activation if the middle belt is unfastened.

I must investigate that!!

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 8:46 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

.... but depending on the size of the bag, placing it on the floor between the front and rear seat, can restrict any movement.

I would not recommend that as the air vent for the hybrid Battery should not be blocked or restricted by any items on the floor between the front and back seats. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bigblock said:

I would not recommend that as the air vent for the hybrid battery should not be blocked or restricted by any items on the floor between the front and back seats. 

.... but the air vent is only on the one side. A bag could be placed on the other side without affecting the vent and still having movement restricted by being between the front and rear seat.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

.... but the air vent is only on the one side. A bag could be placed on the other side without affecting the vent and still having movement restricted by being between the front and rear seat.

Point taken but I would make damn sure the item could not slide about on the floor. I wouldn't want to risk it myself.

Well I used this method of carrying a laptop bag for years without sideways movement of the bag, and without it being a problem in terms of being thrown forwards, etc. This was including being used in two Auris which had flat rear floors (ie no hump in the centre).

We still use this method when we go on holiday (for instance last Friday/Saturday) for my wife's laptop and the bag stays where it is placed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was also annoyed by the sound, so I simply asked the dealer to turn it off for all seats (but to leave the visual warning signal functioning - if driving with kids on the back seat). That was no problem for the mechanics to fix. 

• Like 2

Begs a question why are the seat sensors so sensitive. Just having a visual signal would be good enough to know whoever is in the back had not fastened the seat belt. It also seems if you put a load in the back with the back seat down it can affect the sensors later on .

Just had this happen to us.

• Like 1

Just come back from holiday with bags on the back seats there and back. No warnings either way so the sensors in my car are obviously not as sensitive as yours. And before you ask, no they were not very light.

Just wondering .. why is there no alarm when the rear seat backs are folded against the rear seats, then a heavy load on top?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 50p said:

Just wondering .. why is there no alarm when the rear seat backs are folded against the rear seats, then a heavy load on top?

Probably because there are switch’s fitted to the rear seat backrest locks, once unlocked and folded no seatbelts alarm is active. Just my guess. 👍

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 8:51 AM, TonyHSD said:

Probably because there are switch’s fitted to the rear seat backrest locks, once unlocked and folded no seatbelts alarm is active. Just my guess. 👍

When the seat is folded the rigid back to the seat spreads the load so it does not compress in the middle of the seat.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

My problem is slightly different. 2022 Cross-a passenger gets in the back seat, latches the seat belt, car starts moving, alarm starts chiming and won’t start!

Carista on my Yaris can disable individual seat alarms Front Left, front right, rear centre etc etc. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2022 at 8:49 PM, Roy124 said:

Just fasten the rear seat belt. 

Great tip - I've been getting frustrated with this, but never thought to keep the belts fastened.  The simplest ideas are always the best 🙂

• Like 2