Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Snow chains on TS 2.0, 7or9mm?

navger

I looking to buy a set of snow chains for my TS2.0 with the 18'' rims.

should I get a 7mm chains or with the 9mm chains I'll be ok?

I am not going to drive for hours into show nor in high speeds....

Anyone with 18'' rims and snow chains?

Basically,  I am asking since there is a price difference in these two dimensions..

It depends on the whole wheel and not only on its diameter, for various 18" rims it's not possible to fit snow chains due to its width and ETA...

You could take a look at this option:

https://autosock-germany.de

They're approved for public road use in practically all of Europe, they're easy to install, and they weight less and do not occupy a lot of space, all advantages against their traditional counterparts.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gerhard_Corolla said:

It depends on the whole wheel and not only on its diameter, for various 18" rims it's not possible to fit snow chains due to its width and ETA...

You could take a look at this option:

https://autosock-germany.de

They're approved for public road use in practically all of Europe, they're easy to install, and they weight less and do not occupy a lot of space, all advantages against their traditional counterparts.

thank you,

Yes you are right, I am talking about the stock wheel, 225/40r18.

I know this alternative, but not sure if it will last in time. I have heard many cases that after while, that 'material' tears apart.,

• Like 1

Are you planning to use snow chains on original summer tyres ?

Snow chains on 18” wheels means total destruction of the wheels possibly tyres too. You don’t need a chains on hybrids. If you have all season tyres like Michelin cross climate or Goodyear vector 4 season you don’t need a chains at all. The car will get you anywhere where you need to go , if can’t that means even the chains won’t help. All season or winter tyres are your best bet. Or perhaps socks , or 8-12 mm rope and do around the tyres just to get you out of been stuck, then remove and continue on tyres only. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 12:41 PM, TonyHSD said:

Snow chains on 18” wheels means total destruction of the wheels possibly tyres too. You don’t need a chains on hybrids. If you have all season tyres like Michelin cross climate or Goodyear vector 4 season you don’t need a chains at all. The car will get you anywhere where you need to go , if can’t that means even the chains won’t help. All season or winter tyres are your best bet. Or perhaps socks , or 8-12 mm rope and do around the tyres just to get you out of been stuck, then remove and continue on tyres only. 

Interested as exploring options for my new 2.0 Design TS (on 17").  Tend to agree - I would fear chains damaging rims. 

On previous cars I have used full winter tyres (Michelin Alpins) to great effect, and All Seasons from Michelin and Goodyear that did well too.  I have also used socks on my classic - and was astonished how much traction they gave on sheet ice.

I think my tyres will be replaced in due course with  All Season tyres in due course, although I fear that they will make the handling a little "baggy" on dry roads.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2022 at 2:41 PM, TonyHSD said:

I have all season stock tyres...

If I understood correctly, you are saying that I can drive with those on snow? I doubt that...

2 hours ago, navger said:

If I understood correctly, you are saying that I can drive with those on snow? I doubt that...

I believe he meant that the off-road capabilities of the Corolla are what they are, and this vehicle should not be anywhere near a road surface outside of concrete, asphalt or small gravel roads. Moreover, if you must drive on snowy roads, the traction capabilities of the Corolla, along with winter tyres, allow you to do that just fine. But if the challenges of those roads are bigger and more complicated, the use of snow chains will not suddenly turn the Corolla into an A4 Quattro Avant...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, navger said:

Corolla does come with summer tyres on almost all markets around the world. Eventually in Canada they may come with all seasons as standard but those all seasons will not be all season - all weather tyres like cross climate or Goodyear vector 4 seasons. European all season tyres are also classified as all weather tyres and has PMSF peak mountain snow flake sign on the tyre wall. These type of tyres are as good as winter tyres in many cold weather situations including driving on snow and ice. Anyone having set of these tyres can drive safely on snow and enjoy. You can take pictures of your tyres and share with us and we can confirm that., but I believe your car it’s not equipped with all season tyres unless you had bought specifically. I am probably getting Goodyear all season soon too. https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/tires/vector_4seasons_gen-3.VEC4SEASG3.html

• Like 1

I presume the OP is not in the UK and therefore snow chains might be a legal requirement in his country? If not, a decent set of snow/ cross climate tyres will do 

• Like 1

thank you all for your replies.

yes you are correct,  it is illegal in my country Greece, to drive without chains/snow socks in roads covered in snow, unless of course you have a 4x4.

in any case I will share tommorow a picture of my tyres in order to ask your opinion of them..

• Like 1

Yes, snow chains is a legal requirement in many places. Particularly around the Alps. You must carry a set in your car during the winter season. I usually buy Clack'nGo - just because they're relatively easy to put on. That's more important than the thickness of the chain. I've used them on both winter and summer tyres - no problems.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2022 at 11:45 AM, TonyHSD said:

I am probably getting Goodyear all season soon too. https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/tires/vector_4seasons_gen-3.VEC4SEASG3.html

Good stuff Tony.  On a previous car - a humble but excellent Fiesta - I got 30,000 miles from a set of CrossClimates.  That was after 18,000 miles only on the OE summer Continentals before they were worn out.  The Michelins were replaced with Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons but I did not get to wear those out.  Both tyres made the car a little flabby (less pointy) than the OE summer tyres, I think the Goodyears maybe more so.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Talking Houbik said:

Good stuff Tony.  On a previous car - a humble but excellent Fiesta - I got 30,000 miles from a set of CrossClimates.  That was after 18,000 miles only on the OE summer Continentals before they were worn out.  The Michelins were replaced with Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons but I did not get to wear those out.  Both tyres made the car a little flabby (less pointy) than the OE summer tyres, I think the Goodyears maybe more so.   

Thanks 👍

That is usually the feeling with all season or winter tyres with V shape profile.  They give lighter steering feel, softer ride and less noise on rough asphalt plus longer braking distance against summer tyres. All have positive and negative though.  I currently have Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 and they seems to be very good touring tyres for the summer and although they have very soft side walls in turns and roundabouts they handle superb. I am usually a slow driver but sometimes in the dark country lanes sharp turns comes up a bit unexpectedly and I had chuck the car into it and the car just drives like on rails. Now they are getting old and cracks started to appear, shame really they have 4-5mm tread left but definitely will need to go for new ones this winter.