Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New owner of a Yaris Cross

JurS

Hello, I'm a new owner of a Yaris Cross Icon. I bought the car ex-demo from my local dealer, 3 months old, 800 miles on the clock and no waiting time 🙂

I think I've been lucky because they only made this car available for sale on the morning of my test drive.

My previous car was a very different beast, a Fiat 124 Spider that I loved and had for nearly 6 years, but it was getting harder and harder for me to get in and out of it because it is so low and my 68 year old bones were protesting too much. So I wanted something a little taller and found the Yaris Cross.

I like it so far, especially the seat height and the CVT, and I'm starting to slowly get my head around the myriad of features. The reverse camera is a godsend, I had one on the Spider and having one on the next car was an absolute must. I am now using my phone for Satnav and it works ok. The Fiat Satnav (actually Mazda) was a bit wonky anyway and I never had it updated because they charge a fortune for that. Google maps updates every night for free!

One thing I'm puzzled about are the interior lights. Unlike every car I've owned they don't come on automatically when I open the doors. The manual only tells me where the switch is, I found that already thank you very much, but it says nothing about an automatic setting. Can anyone here enlighten me perhaps? Thanks!

20220916_130018.thumb.jpg.d60a1f673cbb25f71748847983da12d7.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful car in very nice colour too, enjoy it 👍🚙

Interior lights switch should have 3 positions, you need to toggle towards right side where open door icon should be and they will come when open the doors. 

• Like 2

Hi if the interior light is the same as the Yaris there’s a separate button for door operation 

E8AF4B91-7404-4B48-9946-33DA52082F1B.jpeg

• Like 3

I guess the light was switched off at the dealership to avoid flattening the Battery from frequent door opening. 

Thank you all for your help, I found the switch and the lights now come on when I open the door.

I'm now trying to get my head around all of the display options in the central screen. Lots to choose from!

• Like 2

Jur, been there done that, long time Cross owner 20 days and 700 miles 😁

There are so many options. 

I am sure you will ask if stuck.  Did you find the online manuals?  If you have a Smart Connect system you can ignore Ch 9 on the printed manual and go to Ch 10 (or it maybe 8 and 9).

Online you need the Multimedia handbook. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum.   Decuma Grey is a superb colour.  

Don’t worry about asking loads of questions 👍

• Like 2

Thank you 🙂

I have been browsing this forum and now I'm getting worried about flat batteries! I don't drive much, on my previous car I did 22,000 miles in 5 1/2 years and most of those during the first 2 or 3 years. Sometimes I only use it once a week for a short drive to the supermarket. Other times I go and visit family or friends an hour away so at such times the car will get a decent workout..

I now also realise that the dealer must have switched off the interior light on purpose!

So I'm considering getting a solar charger. My car is parked in front of my garage and faces SW so it does get a fair bit of sunshine in the afternoon. However, I don't know what type of charger to get or how to connect it to the car. Any recommendations? I suppose I could just go to the dealer for advice...

yaris.jpg

• Like 1

Hi JurS, I purchased a solar charger from Amazon that plugs in to the OBD socket. We went on holiday in May for 2 weeks and parked at the airport. I plugged in the solar charger just before I locked the car. On arriving back the car started first time with ample charge showing. Do remember though to unplug the charger before you start the car.

Here is the link for the charger, I hope that it helps you. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AC1LLQY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3

Jur, there are many options from CTEK Chargers, jumper packs etc.  Your selection for a solar charger and your location seem perfect.  Running the car in Ready Mode for a week was the Toyota work around but less than ideal for many reasons.

Well done.

Jur, directly under the steering wheel.  Reach under and you will feel the oblong cutout in the underdash to the left of the bonnet release.

• Like 2

Brilliant, thank you. I have ordered it already!

Well, I guess I'm learning hybridese!

My Spider was still on its first Battery after 6 years and it always started on the button, even after leaving it parked for 6 or 7 weeks when away on long trips. I never even thought about the Battery going flat.

I guess you win some and you lose some... but if this thing works it's all good.

Right, so my solar panel charger arrived and I've put it in the car under the windscreen. Connection to the OBD socket is a doddle. The blue LED flashes so hopefully this will keep the Battery charged.

Now, having a cautious nature I'm also looking into getting a jump starter pack as a backup just in case. I saw that a brand like Nocoo gets good reviews. However, looking through the Nocoo user manual it says that these jump starters can't be used to jump start Li batteries? Does this mean that these chargers can't be used for the Yaris Cross? If so, are there any other types/brands that would be suitable?

Many thanks for any advice!

20220924_165654.jpg

• Like 2

You won't be jumpstarting the Lithium Battery as that's like 200+volts, so not a problem :laugh: 

With the hybrids, you just need anything that can supply 12v to power the computer, which will then let you start the car.

You don't need anything powerful as you're not cranking a starter motor.

Heck, a colleague jump-started his Auris using the Battery packs from his son's remote control car during lockdown (Ironically because he'd been using his jump-starter to charge his android tablet and it had used it all up :laugh: )

• Like 4

I have a Noco on standby - haven't had to use it yet.

I got the newer GBX model which is a bit more expensive, but Amazon have it on offer occasionally. It comes with a USB-C connecter for faster charging and it can also be used to charge devices with up to 60W Power Delivery. This newer model also has a power saving feature which means it switches off after being idle for 1 minute. If you need to use a booster it would be pretty vexing to find it drained because it had got turned on accidentally.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. I think I will opt for one of those cheaper small chargers the size of a hard disk. These are half the price of the Noco's etc. The way I use (or rather, not use 🙂 ) my car means that if it won't start it is very likely going to be standing at home, so I can put is somewhere safe where it won't accidentally be switched on. I will just need to remember to check it occasionally for holding its charge.

I purchased one of these after my Yaris refused to start and had to call Toyota recovery.

Have had to use it once on the Yaris since purchase but have also used it numerous times on my mothers car when her Battery was failing and helped out a neighbour once.

It comes in a case which easily fits under the seat ready for when needed.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilka-Tools-83850400-Starter-Power/dp/B076615FJZ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=BE5D933A4L4T&keywords=hilka+jump+starter&qid=1664181768&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjcyIiwicXNhIjoiMC44MyIsInFzcCI6IjEuMTUifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=%2Caps%2C88&sr=8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw a video of someone using one of those small power banks it worked perfectly.

• Like 1

Hello all got my new Cross yesterday and just reading this re the Battery charger all v interesting. Is it worth getting a solar charger then? is it plugged in all the time? and sorry to be thick where is the OBD socket.

Also does anyone know if there is room for an SD card. ive noticed there is only 1 usb socket which will need to be used for google maps... so no music which i have on memory stick. any help greatly appreciated... thanks so much

6 minutes ago, ClaireN said:

Hello all got my new Cross yesterday and just reading this re the battery charger all v interesting. Is it worth getting a solar charger then? is it plugged in all the time? and sorry to be thick where is the OBD socket.

From what i have read in the lengthy thread  HERE if you intend to drive it more than once every 5 days you shouldn't have any problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaireN said:

Hello all got my new Cross yesterday and just reading this re the battery charger all v interesting. Is it worth getting a solar charger then? is it plugged in all the time? and sorry to be thick where is the OBD socket.

Also does anyone know if there is room for an SD card. ive noticed there is only 1 usb socket which will need to be used for google maps... so no music which i have on memory stick. any help greatly appreciated... thanks so much

1.  Before you get a solar charger consider how you will use the car.  If you keep it in a garage, car port, or shade then it would only be useful if parked up on a airport car park. 

You do not need to plug in all the time and I read here it should be unplugged before driving.  The socket is on the panel below the steering wheel. 

2.  You have a 12v plug next to the USB socket.  Plug in a USB plug and Bob's your uncle. 

• Like 2

This pack looks similar to the one I bought some time ago :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B09MMVGHJJ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A3BLP1H1J77LJG&psc=1

It is not the most expensive and I shall be buying one for a friend.  Mine has been used to start a car once and had plenty of power remaining for at least one more attempt. 

If holds a charge well with no discernable drop off, ie it still indicates more than 75%.

Notes:

Ideal for a hybrid but I would not be sure about an ICE though reviews suggest it works.  Using it on an ICE may cause it to get hot. 

4 hours ago, ClaireN said:

Unfortunately it only has the one USB. Whilst you can add another USB power adapter for charging, only this factory port has a data connection.

If you have the 9" Smart Connect system you can connect your phone wirelessly and leave the USB free for music.

With the 8" Touch system you'll need to use the USB for the phone connection. In that case I would investigate options for getting your music onto your phone.