Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New owner of a Yaris Cross

JurS

I wonder if a USB splitter would work?  On my computer I have a 4-port hub.  

It will, but with a caveat - From what people have said here, the car only supports 2 USB devices maximum, so if you plug a 4-port hub in, you can plug in 2 devices (e.g. phone and usb stick) but the 3rd one won't be detected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

It will, but with a caveat - From what people have said here, the car only supports 2 USB devices maximum, so if you plug a 4-port hub in, you can plug in 2 devices (e.g. phone and usb stick) but the 3rd one won't be detected.

Logical as it maybe the system can only process two inputs.  

Where it might work is as a charging function

For instance I could charge my mobile, power a Garmin Satnav, and get a USB Audio input. 

As an aside, connecting my phone fired up Android Auto when all I wanted to do was charge my phone.  I need to try that some more. 

17 hours ago, Roy124 said:

2.  You have a 12v plug next to the USB socket.  Plug in a USB plug and Bob's your uncle. 

What does this do, the 12V plug. i like the idea of a splitter, thanks so much. Is there a way you can just charge your phone without using connect?

If im on holiday for 2 weeks, assuming i drive the car a couple of times a week at least, do you think it will be ok? (the hol will only be once a year!)

how does everyone have their dash shown? im starting to read the manual but my mind is a bit blown at the moment, when i drove home the other day i felt it had too much information on it...? 

Hi Claire, like you I found the info on the dashboard a bit overwhelming at first. One thing you can easily do is use the up and down buton on the steering wheel to flip between various displays and choose one that has info you like. I'm still a bit obsessed with eco driving so I'm displaying the indicator that tells me the power flows, but I suspect that after a while that will wear off. Eventually I might just want to see the remaining range.

You might want to look into storing your music on your phone. I have an sd card in my phone that can hold enormous amounts of music. If you use a USB cable to connect the phone to your car it will play the music through the audio button on the menu, at the same time as it shows Google maps and it charges as well. Plus, it will do hands-off calls on top of all that. Quite a good system all in all.

By the way you should unplug the solar charger before you start the car, or so I've read. The plug is right below the dashboard where the steering wheel column goes. The first time I plugged it in I used a bathroom mirror to look under the dashboard. Now I can do it on feel alone.

14 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Logical as it maybe the system can only process two inputs.  

Where it might work is as a charging function

For instance I could charge my mobile, power a Garmin Satnav, and get a USB Audio input. 

As an aside, connecting my phone fired up Android Auto when all I wanted to do was charge my phone.  I need to try that some more. 

Adding a USB HUB allows you to use two different USB memory sources ( you see ad USB1 and USB2 on display ) but if you enable Android Auto it will take the control of USB bus and the USB memory devices are disabled.

Moreover the Toyota multimedia system has a some perverse way to handle tags and play albums on USB sticks. 

I've put music on microSD on my android phone and I use Musicolet app to play music

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JurS said:

Hi Claire, like you I found the info on the dashboard a bit overwhelming at first. One thing you can easily do is use the up and down buton on the steering wheel to flip between various displays and choose one that has info you like. I'm still a bit obsessed with eco driving so I'm displaying the indicator that tells me the power flows, but I suspect that after a while that will wear off. Eventually I might just want to see the remaining range.

You might want to look into storing your music on your phone. I have an sd card in my phone that can hold enormous amounts of music. If you use a USB cable to connect the phone to your car it will play the music through the audio button on the menu, at the same time as it shows Google maps and it charges as well. Plus, it will do hands-off calls on top of all that. Quite a good system all in all.

By the way you should unplug the solar charger before you start the car, or so I've read. The plug is right below the dashboard where the steering wheel column goes. The first time I plugged it in I used a bathroom mirror to look under the dashboard. Now I can do it on feel alone.

Brilliant, thanks Jur thats really helpful. i just looked under the steering wheel and couldnt see a thing... 😞

do i need that picture of a car on the right of the display, looks a bit wonky... ? if not i cant see how i get rid of it! 

28 minutes ago, ClaireN said:

PS i cant see a 12V plug anywhere, i just see the USB! im i going mad?

Yes! 😁

Right next to the USB Port is a cover, open and all it revealed. 

Then, in the boot, left hand side is another.  This is very useful.  You can use it for the compressor, or an electric cool box, or a soup heater, for charging devices when you don't want cables in the front.  I have an inverter and can use it to power and charge a laptop etc etc. 

In the normal Yaris the 12v plug is hidden right at the back of the main storage bin - It's a really daft place as plugging any accessories in it greatly reduces the space to put things in the space!

It also means I can't see the voltage readout on the USB charger I sometimes plug in...

I feel if they'd used the Prius/Auris puck instead of the gear shifter they could have opened up a lot more usable space in that area, or just gotten rid of the whole thing and just used a rotary dial or something higher up to select the D/N/R drive mode, and push for Park!

Would have freed up so much space along the central corridor!

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Then, in the boot, left hand side is another.

On the Icon model there isn't a 12V plug in the boot, there's only the one in the front.

4 hours ago, ClaireN said:

Brilliant, thanks Jur thats really helpful. i just looked under the steering wheel and couldnt see a thing... 😞

Sorry Claire, I wasn't very clear. The plug is below the dashboard on the right hand side of the steering column. Best is to get a hand held mirror and have a look. It is white and easy to spot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JurS said:

On the Icon model there isn't a 12V plug in the boot, there's only the one in the front.

OK, I have Excel.  Stupid really, means they need two different side panels. 

7 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Yes! 😁

Then, in the boot, left hand side is another.  This is very useful.  You can use it for the compressor, or an electric cool box, or a soup heater, for charging devices when you don't want cables in the front.  I have an inverter and can use it to power and charge a laptop etc etc. 

Obviously leaving can in Ready mode else you will be soon in the "12V Battery flat" team 😉

Thank you guys, ill have a look for the 12V, i could just see lots of covered bits i didnt know they could be opened!

One more question sorry. on the main display so in the 4in screen, when driving on the left there is a pic of what the Battery and system is doing... can i get rid of this so i have a full screen or does this have to be shown? thanks so much for all your help

17 hours ago, Roy124 said:

12 hours ago, JurS said:

The plug is below the dashboard on the right hand side of the steering column. Best is to get a hand held mirror and have a look. It is white and easy to spot.

On mine the 12v is located right at the back of the cubby hole which is directly in front of the shift lever. I use it with a wireless charging pad.

B1A6EBE8-BDF6-40BF-B354-B59F40C6C388.jpeg

• Like 1

It Troll, correct, my error, I thought it was with the USB in that space, forgit the USB was just outside. 

Thank you all. Found the 12v - v useful.

another question if i may. i have the icon model, and so the smaller screen. When the radio is on, it gives messages about whats on etc. sometimes that goes off the screen, is there a way to change how it is shown at all?

Also i noticed on the dash in front, where it says the MPH roadsigns, i assume it is supposed to go red if you go over the mph but sometimes it goes red and stays red even though i am nowhere near the max (ie 27 in a 30mph zone) is this a fault or does this happen to all of them??

any advice appreciated thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Claire, on your last point, the speed limit going red and then remaining red is a quirk. 

It will have decided you are on a 20 zone or did not see a change to 30.  You might have passed a junction that is a 20 zone. 

• Like 1

Gave the inside a good clean yesterday and noted there are no carpets just foot mats.  My Corolla was fully carpeted with mats on top. 

The Yaris Cross had a bitumen like cover over the whole of the floor pan.  It occurs to me, as it is an SUV (:)) they expect it to be used as a utility vehicle with mud and muck being brought in.  

Take mats out, hose out inside 😁

Would anyone care to try hosing it out and reporting back? 

2 hours ago, Baytree said:

Then turn upside down to let the water out 😃

Easier to drill a couple of holes and add a bilge pump 

Arrr me hearty! Hoist the main-sail and something something the yard arm! We'll put the fear of God into 'em with the ol' Skull and Yaris Cross-bones! :pirate: 

:unsure:

• Haha 1

I got the rubber mat set with mine, cracking job, take out wash , put back in, passenger side carpet is under the rubber , but the drivers side is in the boot. Mines an excel.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 6:36 AM, ClaireN said:

Also i noticed on the dash in front, where it says the MPH roadsigns, i assume it is supposed to go red if you go over the mph but sometimes it goes red and stays red even though i am nowhere near the max (ie 27 in a 30mph zone) is this a fault or does this happen to all of them??

any advice appreciated thank you!

This has been a weird and annoying glitch that has affected at least the new Yaris, if not the new Corolla and RAV4 since they've been out.

So far, the current working theory is that for some reason, maybe if the sign is on the right-side of the car, it thinks it's suddenly teleported to mainland europe and thinks the speed limit sign is in KPH and not MPH, so you could be doing 25mph in a 30 zone but the car thinks the limit is 30kph (<20mph) so it thinks you're speeding and turns the speed sign icon red.

Toyota are apparently aware but so far not offering a fix, so ignoring it is the only real recourse.

This will be great fun for all the people getting mandatory speed limiters!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links