Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.4 D4D 2008 SR P0487 and P0488

ace8800

Hi,

I currently have a Yaris 1.4 d4d with a EML on. The symptoms were that the revs go up to about 3500rpm and then it stuggles to go any futher.. it picks up speed otherwise up to that and you take it to 70mph.. but at a slow pace. So got a mate to connect his diagnostic tool and this is what showed up:

P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Current (this came up because i disconnected the MAF to see if it drives ok to see if it was the MAF but it didn't work)

P0487 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Throttle Position Control Circuit Current

P0488 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Throttle Position Control Range/Performance Current.

I read in another chats that one person had the same issue after changing thr EGR, its was the Throttle body. 

I also read to check the Throttle body flap position on "ignition off" should be partially open. And then the "ignition on" the flap should be fully open, and finally when you turn the ignition back off the flap should fully close and then open to partial position. 

Mine does this.. so could still be the Throttle body? Could it be that its looks like its working but it not actually?  See link

Had a look at the egr and it wasnt clogged at all, but still gave it a clean as well as the Cooler and ports. will get back in the garage after work and see how the TB works when the car is started and revs to 3500.. im expecting it to open fully. 

So after work got back in the garage as i managed to get a second hand complete Throttle body (with both side plugs). I fitted it on and made ankther video.. the functionality was exactly the same as the last one.. . However the only difference was it didnt make noise when it closed full like the old one in the video.

Anyway i went ahead a fitted it knowing i have possibly eliminated one issue as it came off a working car. Put the EGR and Cooler back on (rear cooler nut is a b%#&h) and all the pipes and so it lower right horizontal EGR 10mm nut.

Started the car and and reved it all the way to 5000rpm...  No restriction like before to 3500rpm.. havent driven it yet as it was late, but cant see it being a issue now.. let see how it drives tomorrow. 

• Like 1

So after work got back in the garage as i managed to get a second hand complete Throttle body (with both side plugs). I fitted it on and made ankther video.. the functionality was exactly the same as the last one.. . However the only difference was it didnt make noise when it closed full like the old one in the video.

Anyway i went ahead a fitted it knowing i have possibly eliminated one issue as it came off a working car. Put the EGR and Cooler back on (rear cooler nut is a b%#&h) and all the pipes and so it lower right horizontal EGR 10mm nut.

Started the car and and reved it all the way to 5000rpm...  No restriction like before to 3500rpm.. havent driven it yet as it was late, but cant see it being a issue now.. let see how it drives tomorrow. 

Update: drives and pulls like a train now.. EML also went off itself. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi ace8800 

Can you share the video of changing the Throttle body .

Sorry I don't have a video, but if I remember it's located to the right side of the engine (looking at if with bonnet open). I think I had to remove the air pipes to get to it. One bolt was a b*@%£ to get to. But otherwise straightforward.