Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dpf force regen

2009joe

Hello Toyota world just a quick question my friend got a A6 Audi and well he having bother with his dpf .he said he hear it coming on but his car has that stop start thing that so the car can't get a full clean out .so my question is I have a 2014 Toyota avensis 2.0d4d 1adftv engine with dpf it's got 50k on the clock and I never hear or see the dpf coming on .I have a autel md808 pro that can do a forced regen I'm wondering after a good drive should I run it threw a forced regen as I don't want to run into any problems after I'm thinking if I do a forced regen 2 times in a year should keep it clean. Just don't want to have problems later with it 

On 9/21/2022 at 2:02 AM, 2009joe said:

Hello Toyota world just a quick question my friend got a A6 Audi and well he having bother with his dpf .he said he hear it coming on but his car has that stop start thing that so the car can't get a full clean out .so my question is I have a 2014 Toyota avensis 2.0d4d 1adftv engine with dpf it's got 50k on the clock and I never hear or see the dpf coming on .I have a autel md808 pro that can do a forced regen I'm wondering after a good drive should I run it threw a forced regen as I don't want to run into any problems after I'm thinking if I do a forced regen 2 times in a year should keep it clean. Just don't want to have problems later with it 

No, leave well alone and stop worrying about the DPF! We've owned our 2012 Avensis d4d since late 2015 and have never noticed it do any obvious regen in all of those years and 95000 miles. The DPF is still fine though.  You'll do far more harm to the DPF in carrying out unnecessary forced regens than just leaving it to do its thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course, it does a regen, you're just not aware of it as it's fully automatic system once it meets its criteria, regular driving at 40-70 mph for anything longer than 30 mins it will regen, don't expect clouds of soot, its only when regens fail a few times you end up rolling coal

VAG TDI enough said, especially if up in the miles or doing short runs, in the southeast the value of these TDI's are low

• Like 1

On most modern diesels you generally won't notice the regen happening unless you're really paying attention - You don't usually get that surge like you did on older cars, and if the car's being used properly, often it can do a passive regen anyway which is mostly unnoticeable.

With stop-start systems, if the engine is doing an active regen it usually disables the stop-start until it's finished (Not all though, so don't take my word for it!)

Forcing a regen unnecessarily isn't always a good idea - It's like forcing a cleaning cycle on an inkjet printer - You just waste fuel/ink and shorten the life of the system (In the case of inkjets, the ink-soak pad, in the case of DPFs, every time the car regens a small amount of un-burnable ash is left over that slowly fills the DPF; Normally this isn't a big issue, as the DPF can hold around 100-200k miles of ash before it needs replacing, but forcing a regen just adds a tiny bit more ash for no reason.)

I think all DPF-equipped cars have sensors so they will put up a code if it thinks the DPF is getting overly blocked/full, otherwise just drive it as much as you can and let it do its thing!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

Of course, it does a regen, you're just not aware of it as it's fully automatic system once it meets its criteria, regular driving at 40-70 mph for anything longer than 30 mins it will regen, don't expect clouds of soot, its only when regens fail a few times you end up rolling coal

VAG TDI enough said, especially if up in the miles or doing short runs, in the southeast the value of these TDI's are low

well tbh sometimes my 30min is my max drive i do and most of the time less i just thought maybe doing a couple of forced regens a year like changing the oil might help keep the car clean i though 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links