Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whistling sound on low revs

abtx

Noticed this yesterday, usually happens on 5/6th gear on low rev accelerating, but also sometimes on lower gears. It seems to start when the engine is warmed up. Video: 

Any ideas what’s the cause?

That’s very strange sound. Have you checked under bonnet anything yet? Water pump, coolant leak, alternator bearings, belt tension? Anything loose on exhaust heat shield all along from front to rear. 

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s very strange sound. Have you checked under bonnet anything yet? Water pump, coolant leak, alternator bearings, belt tension? Anything loose on exhaust heat shield all along from front to rear. 

I haven’t checked anything yet other than there are no leaks. I suspect this might be to do with the heat shield as the previous owner mentioned something about it being tampered with and I got a “spare” one in the boot. I’ve not looked into it yet and the car has been making no strange noises until yesterday. I have a garage booked in in a week so will see then, and for now I just want to know if I should keep driving. I work from home so wouldn’t add many miles to it.

1 hour ago, abtx said:

I haven’t checked anything yet other than there are no leaks. I suspect this might be to do with the heat shield as the previous owner mentioned something about it being tampered with and I got a “spare” one in the boot. I’ve not looked into it yet and the car has been making no strange noises until yesterday. I have a garage booked in in a week so will see then, and for now I just want to know if I should keep driving. I work from home so wouldn’t add many miles to it.

Yes, you can drive like that. In worst case scenario the shield can detach while driving and fly away from behind, happened to me previously. It was the long one on the middle silencer on Mazda car. If you don’t do a lots of miles you will be fine. 

8 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Yes, you can drive like that. In worst case scenario the shield can detach while driving and fly away from behind, happened to me previously. It was the long one on the middle silencer on Mazda car. If you don’t do a lots of miles you will be fine. 

Brilliant, hopefully that’s just that. Shouldn’t be too bad repair-wise too. Thanks for advice mate.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, abtx said:

Brilliant, hopefully that’s just that. Shouldn’t be too bad repair-wise too. Thanks for advice mate.

You are welcome 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links