Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Power Cable Should I Get For My Amp?

Firebreather

I am thinking of getting a 1300w amp, and was wondering what gauge of power cable I should get, and what fuse I should put in the power cable?

thanks!

I got a 1100w amp and i am using 4gauge power cable (thats a one big hose) and 60 for fuse.

Fit the biggest cable you can find...

Friend of mine got O AWG cable (thick is an understatement!!)

4 AWG is a good start, 2 AWG would be better.

Remember, the thicker the cable you lay, less time to having to either replace it, or the need to add more cable down, in other words more cost effective in the long run. Maplins does 4 AWG cable, fairly cheaply, but without the name branded all over it.

Use this formula to work out the fuse you need (i think this is what it is, correct me if i'm wrong :thumbsup: )

Watts (Power from amp) / Volts (12V = car) = Amp (Fused need for car)

1300W (Your Power from Amp) / 12V (Car) = 108 Fuse

Try and put in a fuse lower than this, cause if it does blow, it's only the fuse that blows and not your amp as well.

Bing

:thumbsup:

Fit the biggest cable you can find...

Friend of mine got O AWG cable (thick is an understatement!!)

4 AWG is a good start, 2 AWG would be better.

Remember, the thicker the cable you lay, less time to having to either replace it, or the need to add more cable down, in other words more cost effective in the long run. Maplins does 4 AWG cable, fairly cheaply, but without the name branded all over it.

Use this formula to work out the fuse you need (i think this is what it is, correct me if i'm wrong :thumbsup: )

Watts (Power from amp) / Volts (12V = car) = Amp (Fused need for car)

1300W (Your Power from Amp) / 12V (Car) = 108 Fuse

Try and put in a fuse lower than this, cause if it does blow, it's only the fuse that blows and not your amp as well.

Bing

You sure about that formula? Because the biggest fuses I can find for the power cable are 80 amps. :help:

Battery Connection Terminals

Use this link to connect your cable to the Battery terminal

Fuse Holder Link

Use this link, as the MAIN FUSE holder for your system

Fused Distribution

Use this link to fuse your local appliances, amp, second amp, EQ, etc.

Distribution Blocks link

You can use distribution blocks for feed power to your other appliances, but remember, your will need to put a fuse in, rather than relying on the unit's own fuse. Better be safe than sorry :thumbsup:

Distribution blocks can be used for either (+) or (-) use.

You be like a teenager, thats just got the biggest, loudest stereo, stuffed into your car, stuck down with gaffer tape, and all the wires taped together with sellotape, and hope the wires are in the right place, before too long it eithers:

1: Blows up cause of shorting out or anything like that!!

2: Showed off to your mates, then it blew it, the shame of it!!

3: Showed off to that many mate, one of them took a liking to it, and carefully took it away in the middle of the night for you!!

Bing