Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV... Where is the water coming from?

Nick72

Opened up the car today after a few days and there's a small amount of water in the footwell, drivers side. Hasn't come off my feet as I hadn't put my feet in that far yet and last time I drove the car was a few days ago when it was dry. 

Any ideas where this is coming from and whether an issue at all. Never had this before and it has tanked it down in the past with no sign of water.

20220922_165742.jpg

It really looks as though it has simply come from the bottom of someone's feet ...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Opened up the car today after a few days and there's a small amount of water in the footwell, drivers side. Hasn't come off my feet as I hadn't put my feet in that far yet and last time I drove the car was a few days ago when it was dry. 

Any ideas where this is coming from and whether an issue at all. Never had this before and it has tanked it down in the past with no sign of water.

20220922_165742.jpg

Sorry Nick no idea.  It does look like that when I've got into the car and put my foot on the brake peddle to start the car. I've something similar in the past, including other cars, and eventually put it down to me getting into the car and automatically seating myself and settling by putting my foot on the brake, an almost reflex action.

• Like 2

I would agree with other posts Nick.

If it's a leak you would feel it wet under the dash if you stick your hand up and feel around a bit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

I would agree with other posts Nick.

……. if you stick your hand up and feel around a bit.

Careful, 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If it’s a rain water can be from windscreen seals, check sun visor, check as suggested under the mat for the carpet condition if wet too. Also check if has a sweet smell, in case can be a coolant, wipe with white paper towel and see if turns pink. But most likely it’s from a wet shoes. 👍

• Like 3

Thanks each. My first thought was wet feet but I noticed it as I opened the door and figured it was probably a few days earlier I last used the car. But it was dry weather then. 

I've checked for damp, drips, etc. underneath the steering column and nothing. Bone dry. Same around the roof line.

Must just have been residual water from feet from the last time I used the car and it was wet. Just assumed it would have evaporated from the rubber mat.

Phew! I hate leak issues (too many trips back and forth with dealer on my last car) so keen for that not to be the answer. 🙏

• Like 4

Nick, it’s the old problem of seeing something that’s unaccountable especially if it’s a patch of water, it gets the mind worms turning.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ernieb said:

Nick, it’s the old problem of seeing something that’s unaccountable especially if it’s a patch of water, it gets the mind worms turning.

Yup, walking back to the car on a petrol forecourt and seeing something underneath. Was that there when I pulled up or is it from my car?

• Like 3

I'd say that is from wet feet from last time the car was used. The pattern shows that it has dried in patches and only some water around the periphery of the shoes are still wet. 

If you have a leak, you'd have water in one place, or a fairly obvious path where it has spread through gravity. You photo shows water has been 'smeared' out over a larger area and then partially dried. 

All good I'd say.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Yup, walking back to the car on a petrol forecourt and seeing something underneath. Was that there when I pulled up or is it from my car?

Or coming out of the supermarket and seeing a puddle of water under the car, is that really the aircon 😮

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Or coming out of the supermarket and seeing a puddle of water under the car, is that really the aircon 😮

Agreed, even worse is when I’ve parked on my front drive which has a slope and the water is running out of the back of the car. Not so much the RAV but the Isuzu Trooper was sometimes like a stream.

• Like 2