Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota auris hybrid 2011 engine oil

ouzair

Hi can anyone advise if the following engine oil would be suitable for my car. I own a toyota auris hybrid 2011. It has travelled 130,000 miles and untill now I have always used toyota 0w20 oil. Recently after my service at 120,000 i was advised by the garage to switch to 5w30 oil. Would the toyota 5w30 be ok to use? Part number 08880-80845. I believe this is a semi synthetic blend

Hi, 

just keep using 0w20 and if the garage pushes to use 5w30 better change the garage and not the oil viscosity/type. 5w30 it’s not the right oil for your car. Can be used as alternative only and replace soon after with 0w20 A5. 
No need to change oil viscosity as the car ages or gain more miles, there is no benefit of that but can be consequences, like higher oil consumption, sludge buildup, blocked egr system etc. 

Thank you i was leaning towards using the 0w20 but was confused as the owners manual did have 5w30 listed as a suitable oil option

Good Evening Why were you advised to make this change?

5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Γεια, 

απλά συνέχισε να χρησιμοποιείς 0w20 και αν το γκαράζ πιέσει να χρησιμοποιήσεις 5w30 καλύτερα άλλαξε γκαράζ και όχι ιξώδες/τύπο λαδιού. 5w30 δεν είναι το κατάλληλο λάδι για το αυτοκίνητό σας. Μπορεί να χρησιμοποιηθεί μόνο εναλλακτικά και να αντικατασταθεί αμέσως μετά με 0w20 A5. 
Δεν χρειάζεται να αλλάξετε το ιξώδες του λαδιού καθώς το αυτοκίνητο γερνάει ή κερδίζει περισσότερα μίλια, δεν υπάρχει κανένα όφελος από αυτό, αλλά μπορεί να έχει συνέπειες, όπως υψηλότερη κατανάλωση λαδιού, συσσώρευση λάσπης, μπλοκαρισμένο σύστημα egr κ.λπ. 

5w30 oil is thicker than 0w20. So how will he burn it the fastest? Incompatibility reason you mean? Thanks

8 minutes ago, xrhstosgr said:

Good Evening Why were you advised to make this change?

I believe due to the mileage on the car.

7 minutes ago, ouzair said:

Πιστεύω λόγω των χιλιομέτρων στο αυτοκίνητο.

I believe the mud build up if you put 5w30 will be infinitesimally small Simply this oil on your own vines is best suited for summer

Toyota 5w30 semi synthetic oil is not the best oil for hybrids. It’s a different type with different characteristics from full synthetic 0w20 and therefore not able to provide the same level of protection against friction, heat dissipation, fluidity at low temperature, cold starts , with different poor points etc. Also semi synthetic oils can not last the intervals in this case 10000 miles or 12 moths. , the oil will break and create sludge formation that leads to piston rings getting stuck, excessive blow by and damage to cylinder wall, results lower compression and high oil consumption. 0w20 should be used to the end of the car’s life. Thinner oils protects better if the engine is designed to work with those. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ouzair said:

I believe due to the mileage on the car.

There are cars at higher miles and they only been used with 0w20, which is good enough no matter if you drive your car in Russia or Dubai. 👍

Manual says 0W20 is preffered, not that it's a must.

I've been running 5W30 on my car for years, and still alive, still runs fine.

08880-80845 should be full synthetic, and it falls within the spec of the manual, so could be used.

I don't see it listed at semi synthetic anywhere, but full synthetic. I would not advise putting semi synthetic oil into the car.

With 5W30, you get bit better lubrication, on the expense of fuel economy (1-2% worse mpg). A bit thicker oil is better for cars hitting 120k miles or more.

It's your choice to make.  I believe both oils are fine, each has their personal preference. 

But saying to change the garage just because of advise to use different oil weight is a bit uncalled for. 

You can use any oil that falls within the spec API SL, SN or SM.

This year i put MOBIL 5W-30 SUPER 3000 XE, before that i was using Champion New Energy also 5W30.

As long as it falls within the required spec, any oil is fine, that does not mean just go for the cheapest.

2 hours ago, furtula said:

Manual says 0W20 is preffered, not that it's a must.

I've been running 5W30 on my car for years, and still alive, still runs fine.

08880-80845 should be full synthetic, and it falls within the spec of the manual, so could be used.

I don't see it listed at semi synthetic anywhere, but full synthetic. I would not advise putting semi synthetic oil into the car.

With 5W30, you get bit better lubrication, on the expense of fuel economy (1-2% worse mpg). A bit thicker oil is better for cars hitting 120k miles or more.

It's your choice to make.  I believe both oils are fine, each has their personal preference. 

But saying to change the garage just because of advise to use different oil weight is a bit uncalled for. 

You can use any oil that falls within the spec API SL, SN or SM.

This year i put MOBIL 5W-30 SUPER 3000 XE, before that i was using Champion New Energy also 5W30.

As long as it falls within the required spec, any oil is fine, that does not mean just go for the cheapest.

You are right with some small exceptions. Your car is auris 1.6 from 2007 and his car 1.8 hybrid from 2011 , very different engines that also work at different cycles, temperature environment, load, speeds etc. Second the thicker the oil doesn’t mean is better for any car including high miles cars. 
It’s not a problem to use 5w30 , nothing will happen from one or two oil changes but it is not the right oil for this engine, in some markets even on the oil cap says 0w20, this is what should be used and no need of alternatives. This for the high mileage cars and using thicker oil viscosity it’s simply a myth like many more in the business. Best practice is to keep using the recommended spec and viscosity oil until the end of the car’s life. 

Thicker oil will not provide better lubrication or reduced oil consumption in any temperature end but can cause oil reduced pressure in cold temp and in certain conditions when stop and start of the engine is happening at high speeds, results higher friction and wear. Faster accumulation of sludge. Toyota 5w30 is semi synthetic oil mostly made by Chevron Texaco, also not a good oil imo, I used this in a different 1.6 car that is suitable for and was the worst oil ever with higher engine noise, faster dirt accumulation, higher oil consumption, lower average mpg,  thrown out only after 5k miles. She’ll helix was the best of all at the time. Total,  Castrol, Mobil, Comma oil, Petronas these are good oils and again just choose the exact spec not the alternative. The alternatives are shows  what can be used in cases where you must change the oil right now and no 0w20 is available. 👍

• Like 1

Here some interesting stuff about the engine oils.