Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leaking oil cap filter (crankcase filter)

Mistyy

Hey all, I drive a 1996 Toyota Glanza V. its done up and has the likes of a link ecu in it, a td06 turbo, 1000cc bosh injectors, the whole nineyards. after boosting around with my mate we noticed that smoke was coming out of the exhaust when under load. Pull home and we see that the crankcase filter that sits on top of the engine block was drenched in oil and had leaked oil all over the engine, upon further inspection it appears to have came loose and as such, oil has leaked through the filter, leaking everywhere.

I dont know why this has happened but I speculate that something is wrong with the pcv valve or piping. however I am not sure this is the problem and if anyone can help that would be much appreciated. cheers, christian.

for your time 

Blowby? Done leak down test? Is the engine worn? What colour smoke?

Sounds like blow-by turn the boost down a tad, i assume you are running 15+ lb of boost with that setup

are you running a blow-off or recirc/hybrid valve ? Are you running a catch can system ?

Hi all.

It has a hks bov, the boost was turned down to 10psi so maybe not the boost?. 

I havent done any tests yet, and the smoke was white, mainly coming out of the exhaust but also coming out of the bonnet scoop sporadically. 

This may be obvious, but when I take the oil cap off, oil stops bubbling out of the crankcase filter. could this be soley because its not on properly?.

So if this seems like a run around, im not well versed in cars.

Kandn.jpg

I checked the PCV line, and its not blocked. Upon start up it is smoking out of the filter pictured above.

White smoke normally means water vapour. Could be blown head gasket. 

Take the oil cap off with the engine running - cover the hole with your hand on and off. Is it sucking or blowing or just vibrating? Does the idle change when you take the cap off? 

Any bubbling in the coolant tank / radiator?

I replaced the pcv valve and smoke is no longer coming out of the vent filter, still out of the exhaust especially when throttled. smoke is also coming out of the oil dipstick hole when you open it up/remove the dipstick. 

The coolant (water) was bubbling but it may have been from the cars natural shake. I opened the radiator cap and boilng hot water splashed everywhere. I think youre right and it may be a blown headgasket. how hard will it be to fix?

20 minutes ago, Mistyy said:

The coolant (water) was bubbling but it may have been from the cars natural shake. I opened the radiator cap and boilng hot water splashed everywhere. I think youre right and it may be a blown headgasket. how hard will it be to fix?

It would be ideal if you could find someone who could confirm the problem. They could also be of use to help guide you through this job. You'd need to take the head off the engine and then get it checked for warping (cracking) and potentially get it skimmed. You'd need need to do a bit of research if you intend to do this.

Alternatively, find a garage who does it for you. It's a pretty straightforward job for someone who's used to doing it.

There is also a risk that the problem is not in the head, but a crack in the block. Again, get someone to help you.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Update.

Turned out to be FOUR cracked piston heads only held together by the cllyinder walls. solution 4 new pistons + rings