Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel ramps.

scannerman

As posted previously, Oil changed a couple of cars using trolley jack and stands. Anyone use wheel ramps? and do they give more room underneath the car, ie. a higher lift?

I used to use them all the time i prefer them to jack and stands as a lot less messing about.

A good tip -   get an old seatbelt or a peice of strong rope or something similar and tie a length of it onto the bottom rung and lay it on the floor towards the front wheels of the car then when you drive onto the belt or rope it stops the ramps being pushed forwards by the car wheels.

(Very annoying when you are on your own)

Halfords 2 Tonne Car Ramps | Halfords UK

• Like 7

The wheel ramps need to be low profile then once you on them ajusted for hight on a lot of todays cars.

This is because you front bumper wont clear the ramp without contact.

• Like 1

I’ve used ramps regularly for years, when possible. Just ensure you have a good handbrake on, and furthermore chocks on the rear wheels.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scannerman said:

As posted previously, Oil changed a couple of cars using trolley jack and stands. Anyone use wheel ramps? and do they give more room underneath the car, ie. a higher lift?

Ramps are certainly more secure/safer. I used to use them a lot when I did my own (substantial) maintenance.

For a car with clearance issues I had two short lengths of scaffold plank with an end placed a couple of 'rungs' up the ramp to ease the slope. (Screw a little batten underneath to hook into the ramp so it doesn't run away when backing off again.)

• Like 2

Yep, remember to put the handbrake on. I didn't and resulted in the car rolling off, hatch open into the garage door. Twisted the hatch, scratched the tailgate and broke the trim!

I need to put a couple of lengths of timber on bricks in front of my old ramps to stop the front valance from scraping on the way.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I use car ramps too. I fitted a timber frame underneath to make them even higher for those transmission fluid changes that the whole engine under cover needs to be removed. I also use for engine oil change too or stabiliser bar bushes replacement. 

F32CF935-AA84-454B-A10E-7FB3B0E51A60.jpeg

8E0633A1-75ED-484A-818B-E13DBD6A688A.jpeg

• Like 3

I've started using a pump (£10 - £14 from Lidl) and it seems to be doing a good job, and pretty cleanly. I am pulling the sump plug at the end, but finding no residual oil coming out. So, at the moment, it hasn't totally removed the need for getting under the car. With the Merc, I can change the filter from the top, not quite as easy with the Yaris as the filter that came with the car was tight. I snapped a strap wrench then crushed the filter, taking it off. I'd recommend trying it, if you find one of those oil pumps at a decent price.

• Like 1