Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2012 Yaris lighting upgrade

Kimi450

Hi all, Ive a 2012 Yaris Terra mk3 and Im thinking about upgrading the lights in the car. 

The manual mentions using wedge base bulbs for the license plates, interior lights, backup lights and front position lights. I plan to replace all of em to LEDs with this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09C8C3JQG/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A1VN3NW7CK4K6R&psc=1

And for the headlights, I plan to buy these H4 LED lights (I feel like my lights are a bit too dim as they stand) https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOVSIGHT-Headlight-Bulbs-10000LM-2x5000LM/dp/B076ZJBS6P/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

For context, in based in the Republic of Ireland (maybe theres some regulations I need to aware of)

I had a few questions:

• Do I need to ask my insurance before I make this change as these are not factory spec replacements?
  • Am I buying the right lights? From what I understand, these should be compatible
  • Are these lights road legal? Ive been seeing stuff about the headlights failing the MOT in the UK, would it fail the NCT here? Do I need projector lenses too?
  • Am I missing something obvious otherwise?

Thanks!

No led bulbs are legal for non led lights. Also they does not produce better light patterns but only higher density light which will only blind the oncoming cars. Driving with fake led cause headaches and tiredness. Best to stick with quality bulbs like osram or Philips , they offer higher performance road legal bulbs. Look Amazon, eBay etc. 👍

• Thanks 1

As regards the NCT, you will need to check with the appopriate authority ( eg Government agency not a garage) whether putting LED bulbs into headlights designed for halogen will be OK.

• Thanks 1

Upgraded my cabin and boot lights to led, this is absolutely fine in the UK without needing to inform insurance. 

Not led into halogen reflector housing. Best to check with the relevant govt regulations where u are.  

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys, I did some research over the last few days and was just back here to say that yeah it's not legal to do so, so I won't be upgrading headlights to LEDs. Probably won't change my parking lights to LEDs either just to be safe, but I will change the other lights (like the interior ones).

And yeah I'll have a look at high quality halogens instead 🙂 thanks! If ye have suggestions, throw em my way! 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links