Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New car alarm causing the electronic parking brake to not disengage on it's own

King Crimson

A few hours ago i took my ch-r to be fitted with an aftermarket car alarm, the store responsible is a very reputable place and have heard good words from everyone i asked + great reviews on their google page, so i was happy to trust them with my car. 

After the alarm was installed i went to pick up the car and i put it in D but the car wouldn't drive forward, i then saw that the electronic parking brake was not disengaging and i had to press the button for it to do so, after i pressed the button i put it in Park and it again would not engage on it's own and i had to press the button to do so. I obviously showed this to the store owner and he wasn't sure why this was happening and tried to fix it which only really made things worse. On monday the car is going to my toyota dealer and see what is causing the car to not work properly with the car alarm.

Has anyone had such experience? I never knew a car alarm could cause so much of a headache out of nowhere, im a bit worried the electrical systems could get damaged. Is that possible?

It has just forgot its settings, they may have disconnected the Battery for the work

its either press or pull  the parking brake switch until you see the auto light on the dash ignition on, not running

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It has just forgot its settings, they may have disconnected the battery for the work

its either press or pull  the parking brake switch until you see the auto light on the dash ignition on, not running

The guy told me he has worked on a lot of ch-r's and this has never happend to him so this is what's worrying me.

For now I'd agree with flash and just assume settings have been reset due to the 12v Battery being disconnected for an extended period while they installed the alarm.

If you set everything back to how you want and it sticks, then I reckon you're okay.

It's probably like in the old days when, if you changed the 12v Battery, you'd have to spend ages putting the headunit anti-theft code back in and then reprogramming all your radio shortcuts keys :laugh: 

• Like 1

Depending on how it was fitted, they may have had the interior apart or just lent on the button by mistake turning it off

• Like 1

As has been said above:  In ready mode press on the foot brake and then pull up and hold the parking brake switch until you get a message on the dash saying the auto parking brake is engaged.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Trewithy said:

As has been said above:  In ready mode press on the foot brake and then pull up and hold the parking brake switch until you get a message on the dash saying the auto parking brake is engaged.

Wish i knew that's how it worked, the guy in his attempt to find the issue made the whole dashboard lit up like a christmas tree and even made the brake feel heavy like a rock and you could barely press down on it. Hopefully the service guys at the dealer will fix whatever he did and get my car back asap.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links