Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Minor and positive things about the AYGO

haelewyn

I bought the Aygo about a year ago (Aygo MK2, 2021)  and kind of trying to make a balance

Good things : 

- great on consumption

- IMHO drives well on the highway at speeds around or below 110 km/h - which I always do

- Radio / GPS (phone connection) works well

- Cheap to buy and cost of ownership is low

- 10 years warranty and assistance if I keep going to dealer yearly.

Bad things

- Second gear got a cracking noise when cold, gone when warming up

- Not enough power

- clutch is disastrous design..  Doesn't drive well in city environment where you need to play the clutch to crawl forward. 
Shouldn't have been in production this way

- Rear camera sometimes not engaging

- Aircon reduces the power of the engine a lot and (probably because of poor isolation) is heard well, but struggles to 

keep the car cold in summer.

- Not handy for me as an only car to do groceries. Not an easy trunk or seats to load.

- Seats in the back only accessible for children or people who can still bend their legs and pelvis well.

• Like 2

I am always looking at the Camry whenever there's one available but it's a bit large to park in front of my house 🙂

I was thinking / doubting about Aygo or Yaris and chose the Yaris. 
Just thinking of all costs , the Aygo still makes me happy.

• Like 1

I would also have recommended a Mk4 Yaris, except for your last point - The Mk4 is quite awkward to get into; I think it has the lowest and most raked/tilted seating position of any of the generations of Yaris, and the seats are definitely designed for someone who isn't me. (You may have seen my spinal support towel thread... :laugh:)

The Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris might be worth looking at - Nowhere near as frugal except the diesel versions (Which, due to the demonization of diesel, may be a flat no depending on what country you live in!), but they are really really easy to get in and out of, have unrivaled interior flexibility (The sliding rear seats are the one of the hings I miss the most in the Mk4!), and have similar mileage to the Aygo.

But TBH if the car makes you happy then best to stick with it - There are loads of things the Mk4 does poorly (Chiefly visibility, and the emergency safety systems' random attempts to kill me :laugh: ), but the car is so fun to drive I don't care as it brought back the joy of driving for me, esp. compared to the Mk2 1.33 I had before, which was an objective downgrade from my Mk1 D4D (Forced by KHAAAAN!) and was also somehow the World's Least Reliable Toyota and just gave problem after problem.

• Like 2

Ouch ... A D4D 1.4 giving you problems all the time ? Or always other things than engine related ? 

By the way : except for the Camry, I am thinking of buying the new 2023 Corolla with the improved hybrid.
But when I see the price, I doubt it's gonna happen already in 2023.

No no the 1.33 Mk2 was the one giving the problems - The 1.4 D4D was absolutely bullet-proof and the most reliable car I've owned!! In fact I've had two (First one was a 3-door - it was a bit impracticable, but I loved it so much I bought the same car but a 5-door version!) and over 15-16-odd years never had a single major problem - Just routine servicing!

It's partly why I stick with Toyota as with my first car, a Fiesta, I thought it was normal to have to e.g. fix the handbrake cable, change wheel hubs and suspension arms etc... turns out this isn't the case!

It still makes me cringe when I hear other people talking about such things as if that's normal - I always want to butt in and tell them there is another way! Just get a Toyota and you wan't have to deal with such crap, just normal servicing things like oil and filter changes!

The new cars are ace but you hit the nail on the head - The price is the biggest downside of them; If you can get over that then great, but it is a big mountain to climb! I would say they are worth it, but that doesn't make them any more affordable...

It's only going to get worse too, as all these new systems being mandated by law is pushing the price of new cars up and up - Even the Aygo has been retargetted as the Aygo X, a Premium Compact City SUV (*vomit*) rather than a cheap affordable car as its original brief was!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Even the Aygo has been retargetted as the Aygo X, a Premium Compact City SUV (*vomit*) rather than a cheap affordable car as its original brief was!

Well in today's market it is still relatively cheap.

You have to bear in mind that bargain basement cars such as the Dacia Sandero and MG3 now start from £12,600 and £13,300 respectively.

Back when the Sandero was first introduced in the UK in 2013, the starting price was £5,995 for the base version without a radio. From August 2013 the Aygo (first generation) started from £8,595.

The Aygo X starts from £15,400.

So there has always been a price difference of £2,500-3,000 between the cheapest new car in the UK (the Sandero), and the Aygo/Aygo X.

• Like 3

Yeah I was always amazed that you could buy a brand new car for less than £6k, and a fairly decent one too! (I will ignore e.g. the Tata Nano...)

My first Mk1 D4D wasn't far off that and it was second hand!! :laugh: 

Alas the days of a new car for 4-figures looks like they are well over, between inflation and the higher tech levels mandated for homologation.

I just wish my wages were going up at the same rate!!! :crybaby: 

Because the British money has lost their value. Back in the days 10-15 years ago most German cars in England were much better equipped like for like , same trim levels, now is exactly the opposite, not only for cars but for many other things. Just the times we live in. Some personnel are getting richer while majority of population is getting poorer., oops , just my thoughts, and I don’t understand politics or finances, I know simple things, some cars and some bricks  🚙 & 🧱 😂 I only tried a new Aygo in 2020 for a short while and I did like it a lot, small fun car, but I do believe that from the small ones the vag Up and the likes are best 👍

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Because the British money has lost their value. Back in the days 10-15 years ago most German cars in England were much better equipped like for like , same trim levels, now is exactly the opposite, not only for cars but for many other things. Just the times we live in. Some personnel are getting richer while majority of population is getting poorer., oops , just my thoughts, and I don’t understand politics or finances, I know simple things, some cars and some bricks 🚙 & 🧱 😂👍

I like simple things too, although quite how Cyker's best mate has finished up rolling around London in a £300,000 range rover, and I am rolling around Lincolnshire in a 19 year old Yaris, I can't figure out.(maybe I didn't lay enough bricks)

The upside is however, that I really do not care about what others have whatsoever,it is the person, not the position,or wealth,or trinkets that matter to me.

Politicians and finance people may be prominent in the news, but to me they are as invisible as a Rolex is to a bulldog.

• Like 3

I didn't buy the Aygo for status.
One old neighbour told me she thought this is a car for girls ... there goes my credibility.

Never bought any car in my life for status. Never will.

• Like 1

For girls 'eh?

Maybe... but also, RACING DRIVERS! :laugh::naughty:  

Yes for some reason the C1/107/Aygo are weirdly popular for racing and modding... There are a surprisingly large number of mods available for it, more than the Yaris! In its heyday you could even get turbo and supercharger kits for it!!

It seems about right given how fast they're usually passing me on the motorway :laugh: 

• Like 2

That's one thing I CAN say : i would, just for looks, prefer the 108 but knowing Toyota's warranty and because of I prefer the brand to any Stellantis brand... it's a no brainer.

• Like 1

I prefer a reliable functional vehicle to an attractive road-side ornament :laugh: 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, haelewyn said:

I didn't buy the Aygo for status.
One old neighbour told me she thought this is a car for girls ... there goes my credibility.

Never bought any car in my life for status. Never will.

haelewyn , I never thought for a minute that you bought a car for status, and apologise if I gave that impression.

My comment was directed to the vacuous and inane celebration of the "great and the good" and their showing off to the media.

Edited by Rhymes with Paris
To complete post

11 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

haelewyn , I never thought for a minute that you bought a car for status, and apologise if I gave that impression.

My comment was directed to the vacuous and inane celebration of the "great and the good" and their showing off to the media.

No , never thought you wanted to accuse me of buying for status 🙂

After your comment, I just thought about that thing : Who would buy an Aygo for status (would be daft), ...   I hate the status buying idea a bit. And in fact, it's one thing I like about buying an Aygo : it sends a statement that 'i am not a part of the rat race'. All who are in the status buying thing receive a message as : I am not a part of your club.

You said nothing wrong. I know no offence was meant , none was taken.

Forget it and let's carry on !   🙂

• Like 1

I found with the A/C not keeping the car cool enough in summer, I ended up closing the vents and putting it on recirculated air instead of drawing in outside air. The difference was like black and white, it instantly cooled the interior. 

• Like 1

Personally I found our similar 107 to have more pluses than minuses. Been very reliable, cheap to run and maintain. Done a full weekly shop in ours for many years and ours is a 3 door and thankfully ours doesn't have aircon, but didn't want it, more to go wrong for me. Unfortunately our newer 108 does have aircon, but was sign of the times came as standard with spec we were after. Ours surprises me how much you can get in such a small car and it happily keeps up with and overtake motorway traffic, so does 90% of what I want it to do and for the other 10% we have a 5 door estate car.

18 hours ago, haelewyn said:

I bought the Aygo about a year ago (Aygo MK2, 2021)  and kind of trying to make a balance

Good things : 

- great on consumption

- IMHO drives well on the highway at speeds around or below 110 km/h - which I always do

- Radio / GPS (phone connection) works well

- Cheap to buy and cost of ownership is low

- 10 years warranty and assistance if I keep going to dealer yearly.

Bad things

- Second gear got a cracking noise when cold, gone when warming up

- Not enough power

- clutch is disastrous design..  Doesn't drive well in city environment where you need to play the clutch to crawl forward. 
Shouldn't have been in production this way

- Rear camera sometimes not engaging

- Aircon reduces the power of the engine a lot and (probably because of poor isolation) is heard well, but struggles to 

keep the car cold in summer.

- Not handy for me as an only car to do groceries. Not an easy trunk or seats to load.

- Seats in the back only accessible for children or people who can still bend their legs and pelvis well.

Yards would be better option. Aygo is just for food deliveries and local driving

Some think I am crazy to say so but I love to drive the car on the highway.

Doing more highway traffic every day now, I got 4,45 liter per 100 km.

Count the low taxes, lower investment,  great consumption figures and there is no better.

Before, my renault with 17000 euro higher standard catalog price drove better on the highway. But do I want to spend 17k now to get a megane again : no !

That one did 6-7 liter per 100 km. That alone is a big thing ... warranty and reliability is an other.

I have not had a ride in my friend's Aygo yet.

The one she got to replace her crashed Yaris, I am going to visit this afternoon so maybe she will tell me how she's getting on with it.

Although I have been avoiding any car talk with her lately,as she was so upset about the crash.

It's a bit miley, but I am fingers crossed 🤞 that it will be reliable and give good service.

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

No no the 1.33 Mk2 was the one giving the problems - The 1.4 D4D was absolutely bullet-proof ..

Engine problems ? Other ?
Oil consumption ?

The Mk2? Burning something like 1L of oil a month, gearbox failed and stopped selecting gears (I suspect a selector fork sheared off), and the whole aircon system just stopped working with my dealer misdiagnosing it (First it was the high and low pressure pipes, then the condenser, then the compressor...)

In hindsight I should have gotten a 2008 1.3 rather than a first-gen 2009 1.33...

• Like 1

I do think also Toyota makes less good cars sometimes. Saying they are all perfect is a ferrytale .. Just, it's not in the order of my Renault where engines break down in big amounts starting from 10.000 miles and average of 40.000 miles.

Need to have a look around on what their bad models were.
I read the Camry gets problems on the hybrid 2.5 (older ones probably) over 100.000 miles , oil consumption, oil return springs on the piston. To be their top car, it's not a nice thing either but better than to have a bad engine that needs to be replaced at 40K miles.

MK1 Aygo had their problems too, as far as I know. More then they should have had.

It's that typical rule - Try not to buy Version 1 :laugh:  The 1.33 was a compliance engine and was clearly shoehorned into a car not originally designed to hold it - The placement of everything is just so wrong with the 1.33 in the Mk2 compared to normal Toyota design - Usually things like the air and oil filter are incredibly easy to access but in the Mk2 it wasn't and there were big spaces in the engine bay where things could have gone but due to the engine not being designed for the car some very bizarre routing had to be done.

It's very clear when you compare it to the original 1.3!

But yeah, it's not that Toyota don't make lemons sometimes, but they usually try to do right by them - e.g. the massive engine replacement campaign for the AD engines.

And they tend to aim for a higher standard of engineering and longevity than most other manufacturers, but I've already talked about that in other threads.

• Like 1