Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Servicing advice

Volibear29

Hi all, just wanting some advice on servicing. 

Wife's just bought a Yaris. It's the 2016 1.33 VVT-I CVT model, under 58,000 miles and it's missing a service. Based on Toyota's schedule, it's due a major service now (60,000 miles service), and we're considering our options for this service. 

Toyota dealership is quoting us £300, and my local garage is quoting £160. 

How does the Relax warranty work? Are we eligible for it given the missing service on the car? Is the extra £140 really worth it? 

Also any suggestions on indie garages in the west midlands area?  

Thanks

Which service is  it missing - intermediate or full?

Relax is a service generated extended warranty - which is provided when the car undergoes a service at a Toyota dealer.

See:

The car should be eligible for the Relax warranty. However, any existing faults would need to be corrected to provide full coverage.

Really only you can decide whether the dealer service over the independent service is worth it for you.

• Like 2

As far as I understood no matter previous services where been done, as soon as you complete your service at Toyota official dealer and as mentioned above all existing faults if any have been corrected you are eligible for relax warranty but best to consult with your dealer too. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Which service is  it missing - intermediate or full?

Relax is a service generated extended warranty - which is provided when the car undergoes a service at a Toyota dealer.

See:

The car should be eligible for the Relax warranty. However, any existing faults would need to be corrected to provide full coverage.

Really only you can decide whether the dealer service over the independent service is worth it for you.

It's the 2021 Full service it's missing (previous owner did 5000 miles and decided not to service I assume). 

Given the missing service, it seems this full service would cost a bomb, given it's probably due a lot of filter changes/spark plugs and the dealership charges hundreds, given the £300 service is purely insepction and oil changes. Damn. 

• Like 1

Toyota service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Were the previous services, excluding the missed service, done on the time basis (ie every 12 months) or the mileage basis (ie every 10,000 miles)?? 

Intermediate services are at 1 year/10,000 miles, 3 years/30,000, 5 years/50,000, etc. Full services are at 2 years/20,000, 4 years/40,000, 6 years/60,000, etc.

If serviced on the time basis the 2021 service would have been an Intermediate service, and possibly if serviced on the time basis depending what mileage was reached at each service.

• Like 4

Could someone tell me if these prices the same across all dealerships?

Aygo, Aygo X, Yaris, Yaris Cross, iQ

Intermediate Service: £220

Full Service: £300

• Like 1

Toyota offers fixed price servicing across the majority of dealerships - so yes.

• Like 3

Well I say it needs a full service but it up to you if you  go via Toyota or a independent garage.

14 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota offers fixed price servicing across the majority of dealerships - so yes.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Well I say it needs a full service but it up to you if you  go via Toyota or a independent garage.

The car has a full dealer service history so i am thinking of using the nearest Toyota dealer even though its miles away as the extended warranty they offer for having the service there is well worth the extra you would pay over an independent garage,  i have read the terms and conditions and it looks like everything is covered so

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/toyota-warranty

How does the Toyota warranty work?

The warranty operates in the same way as the warranties provided on new and approved used Toyota vehicles. Cover is automatic when the vehicle undergoes a scheduled full or interim qualifying service and effective from that date for 12 months or 10,000 miles – whichever is soonest. On vehicles that have service intervals every two years, the cover is for 24 months or 20,000 miles. 

There are no forms to sign to obtain the warranty cover and the customer does not have to keep or present any policy documents should they need to make a claim. The warranty status of their vehicle is recorded in the details of their vehicle held by the Toyota network and is noted on the service invoice raised by the centre. 

This central record means that a vehicle’s warranty will be recognised at any official Toyota centre, should customers move or choose to have their car serviced at a different approved location. 

Following completion of a service where their vehicle qualifies for the warranty, customers will be sent a confirmation email by their centre (subject to them providing an email address for contact). 

If a vehicle requires work to be done under warranty, the customer contacts their local Toyota centre in the first instance. They will be able to confirm the warranty status on receiving details of the vehicle. 

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-warranty-how-it-works/

36 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

The car has a full dealer service history so i am thinking of using the nearest Toyota dealer even though its miles away as the extended warranty they offer for having the service there is well worth the extra you would pay over an independent garage,  i have read the terms and conditions and it looks like everything is covered so

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/toyota-warranty

How does the Toyota warranty work?

The warranty operates in the same way as the warranties provided on new and approved used Toyota vehicles. Cover is automatic when the vehicle undergoes a scheduled full or interim qualifying service and effective from that date for 12 months or 10,000 miles – whichever is soonest. On vehicles that have service intervals every two years, the cover is for 24 months or 20,000 miles. 

There are no forms to sign to obtain the warranty cover and the customer does not have to keep or present any policy documents should they need to make a claim. The warranty status of their vehicle is recorded in the details of their vehicle held by the Toyota network and is noted on the service invoice raised by the centre. 

This central record means that a vehicle’s warranty will be recognised at any official Toyota centre, should customers move or choose to have their car serviced at a different approved location. 

Following completion of a service where their vehicle qualifies for the warranty, customers will be sent a confirmation email by their centre (subject to them providing an email address for contact). 

If a vehicle requires work to be done under warranty, the customer contacts their local Toyota centre in the first instance. They will be able to confirm the warranty status on receiving details of the vehicle. 

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-warranty-how-it-works/

The last sentence is not how the warranty seems to operate in my experience.The actual warranty Terms & Conditions state :-

21. To process a repair please follow these steps:

a) Please report any repair under the Additional immediately, by presenting this service invoice to your

Authorised Toyota Repairer and making the vehicle available for examination;

b) Please provide all information needed or requested to help the Authorised Toyota Repairer identify the

issue claimed for; and

c) Always retain the service booklet and make it available to your Authorised Toyota Repairer as

requested.

We were told by Toyota customer service that the car had to be physically inspected by the franchised toyota garage within the warranty period.So if your are near the end of your warranty you rely on the garage being able to fit you in to inspect the vehicle before your warranty runs out.