Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aftermarket Car parts prices up by 30-50%

TonyHSD

I did service on my brakes today and I noticed rear brake pads are wearing thin, yes rear ones are worn more than the front and it’s no surprise here but when I looked for replacement discs and pads that was the surprise. Availability very limited and prices are almost double on both pads and discs in comparison to 2020 when I last changed them. ebc pads were  £20 and set of discs blueprints for £42, now pads start from £40 and Discs from £70. There are few cheaper ones but likely they won’t fit because the sellers equals the numbers but they are for 1.3 engines and doesn’t fit the hybrids. Not very happy, no more cheap motoring 🚙🏁

• Like 3

I don’t want to sound like cheapskate but still can’t accept the money change time and I was looking yesterday again on eBay and cross reference numbers. I managed to find my favourite brake pads EBC Ultimax offered by a small business trader priced at £25 rear and a set of Febi Brake discs from large trader priced at £28 for set of two, well there was a coupon for 20% off too so this is what I called a deal. 😂 See them when arrive. Now off for a new tyres. Let see how this will go. 👍

• Like 5

Good luck on the tyres too! I only just bought a set of Toyo CF2s for mine for £197 off eBay, cheapest I’d seen elsewhere online had been around £270 a set. There are bargains still to be found.

• Like 3

Thank you. You had made a good savings too 👌

Pads arrived today, lol well done to the seller “ Currentandclassic” of eBay , they are older stock but all good, pads doesn’t go bad if they are few years old 😉

Got the tyres fitted too.
They are freshly made and super soft , produced during  week 37 of 2022 made in Poland. ATS did a good job and probably were thinking I am crazy as I had so many requests on a 12 years old car 😂, anyway they did as I wished and all good. Will drive tonight and see how they behave and will share in Corolla forum as there are people interested there. First drive positive feels, only steering became super light but that’s normal with that types of tyres. 👍

503936C3-0BC4-4B5E-B1D6-1664AEE8C664.jpeg

B9286C62-77FD-4909-8F48-7AD7C5C43FD5.jpeg

0CE69572-9BD0-4B02-BD49-1CBF56888439.jpeg

C29CB413-09FF-4054-8741-45BC4705C5E3.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

Nice! :thumbsup: 

Always love the feel of new tyres :biggrin: 

And the smell 😉👌, at least I like it 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Funny you should mention the cost of brakes. My wife’s 7.5 year old Yaris 1.3 is still on its original brakes, with 40k miles on it, I recon there are a few min left on the pads too. With that longevity, and knowing I will only ever change them once seeing as we are only keeping the car for another 4 years, I got a full set of disks & pads (front & rear) from Toyota direct parts for £216 delivered. I think that’s a bit of a bargain for OEM parts. The Yaris has quite large rear disks too! 

• Like 1

Good grief, first Tony with his bazillion mile tyres and now you with infinity brakes?!

How do you do it?!?!

I consider it good if my tyres and brakes last more than 2 years!! :eek:  :laugh: 

That said, I think in this Yaris the brakes should last a lot longer thanks to the regen, but my front tyres will need replacing soon and they're not even 2 years old!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gray86 said:

Funny you should mention the cost of brakes. My wife’s 7.5 year old Yaris 1.3 is still on its original brakes, with 40k miles on it, I recon there are a few min left on the pads too. With that longevity, and knowing I will only ever change them once seeing as we are only keeping the car for another 4 years, I got a full set of disks & pads (front & rear) from Toyota direct parts for £216 delivered. I think that’s a bit of a bargain for OEM parts. The Yaris has quite large rear disks too! 

That’s a good price indeed. 👍

For my auris only rear discs cost  £100 +£40 for the pads and  most likely all 4 corners will come close to £300+ for original parts., while aftermarket will be £100+ with discount codes. The aftermarket ones I use are good quality that I had been using before and I can trust. The car has great brake performance and last long too. Here how front ones look after 90k miles. Blueprint discs and ebc ultimax pads. Fitted 02/2020. 

E5745D3B-95A2-4BD9-8F41-D450392BCE1E.jpeg

1A52099C-3766-46AE-982F-2985E9DAB7E8.jpeg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MrZardoz said:

My Toyos turned up… my hallway smells looooovely 😂

Toyos are good tyres, I had run them before on Mitsubishi colt and my gf bought some for her auris, they were Prius oem spec and had the biggest I had ever seen rim protector , they seemed quite and well balanced tyres. My one were nanoenergy on smaller size and they were all good, both cars sold with them. 
let us know how they feel when you fit them. 👌

24 minutes ago, MrZardoz said:

My Toyos turned up… my hallway smells looooovely 😂

You are not alone. Nankang NS2r are probably my favourites. Air fresheners needn't apply...

• Like 1

Yeah, I had a pair of Toyos on my last car and they were the best I’d ever tried. At that price and wet weather rating, especially in the uk, it was a no brainer for me. They’re going on next Thursday when it’s in for it’s MOT. Tony, I’ll let you know how they feel. Pretty sure it’ll be a night and day difference as it’s currently two worn Landsails(?) at the front and Conti’s on the back… all with cracked side walls!

• Like 1

Cool, some pics will be nice 👌 I like to make the forum interesting and colourful with pics 😉

Here my brake parts for the rear with direct links from eBay. These will fit Auris hybrid gen 1 T spirit with 17” wheels and Akebono rear brakes: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312058329782?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=24W8jqqNSka&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234517485888?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=yi1ojZncSxy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

824F8816-4561-4096-9F99-BBB5158184B0.jpeg

DEAF167E-2692-4D24-9F9C-AC708AFAD8D3.jpeg

EBA3A53F-9BD2-4518-A884-E02C7E667EF8.jpeg

36673BE2-D157-43D6-B8DB-6EA8D9C70D4D.jpeg

5CE99ECC-7030-44FD-AAF0-D537524A2C0E.jpeg

6231D693-FD67-409E-BFCA-298B4502D2BE.jpeg

• Like 2

Well, seeing as you asked, here’s a little teaser for you, Tony 😂 Look at that tread depth! You know this might be the first time I’ve ordered a full set of replacement tyres in all my years of driving, usually just done them in pairs.

D91BCBD9-92DE-42C9-86AC-3C3A8D75F067.jpeg

18CC389C-F860-472C-AFFC-B9C138D424F1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MrZardoz said:

Well, seeing as you asked, here’s a little teaser for you, Tony 😂 Look at that tread depth! You know this might be the first time I’ve ordered a full set of replacement tyres in all my years of driving, usually just done them in pairs.

D91BCBD9-92DE-42C9-86AC-3C3A8D75F067.jpeg

18CC389C-F860-472C-AFFC-B9C138D424F1.jpeg

Thanks 👍 Looking good indeed, and good price too. After you fit them you can check pressure at home next morning. My ones were all over , every tire different bars, from 2.2 to 2.45 bar. 

£12 each wheel for fitting and balancing so full set will stand me under £250, can’t grumble at that. I’ll fill up with fuel and make sure they’re all correctly inflated when I pick her up on Thursday. Hopefully nothing flags up on the MOT, it’s only done 31k, had Brembo disks and pads last year around MOT time then.

• Like 1

I almost forgot these aftermarket parts too! Orange valve caps - £2.25, will increase acceleration with the massive weight savings 😂

65EEB7C4-832B-4E86-B7B8-F5952C77BE58.jpeg

5 minutes ago, MrZardoz said:

I almost forgot these aftermarket parts too! Orange valve caps - £2.25, will increase acceleration with the massive weight savings 😂

65EEB7C4-832B-4E86-B7B8-F5952C77BE58.jpeg

Are these metal ones? 
If yes you may think again if you want to put them on. When I was I the shop there was a man there and he had new tyres fitted too but the tyre fitter returned to him all 4 metal valves caps and he said : “ make sure you never use these as if you do after a while you may never be able to get them off and we will need to cut the valves and replace them., “  costly repair especially on these cars with gauge sensors. 👍

• Like 1

Yeah my brother gave me a similar warning, think a spray of WD40 before they go on does the trick. Or I might put them on kids bikes instead… and treat myself to dice caps 😂

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 8:55 PM, Cyker said:

Good grief, first Tony with his bazillion mile tyres and now you with infinity brakes?!

How do you do it?!?!

I consider it good if my tyres and brakes last more than 2 years!! :eek:  :laugh: 

That said, I think in this Yaris the brakes should last a lot longer thanks to the regen, but my front tyres will need replacing soon and they're not even 2 years old!

How many miles u do a year? My Yaris MK3 is on 48k miles and still on original brakes, though when I last changed the oil and filter at national.co.uk the guy said the front brakes are running low. 

Don't mean to go offtopic, but did or does anyone buy tyres on those big online tyre stores (France, Germany, etc.)? The price of tyres shot off, but still are cheaper on those online stores.

If anyone has experience with those online stores that sell tyres, some info would be useful, info like tyre age, and manufacturing defects that came up when opening the boxes they came in.

I also want and need to save, but not at any cost.

13 minutes ago, jcps001 said:

Don't mean to go offtopic, but did or does anyone buy tyres on those big online tyre stores (France, Germany, etc.)? The price of tyres shot off, but still are cheaper on those online stores.

If anyone has experience with those online stores that sell tyres, some info would be useful, info like tyre age, and manufacturing defects that came up when opening the boxes they came in.

I also want and need to save, but not at any cost.

I had bought previously many times tyres from companies like my tyres, and some similar online retailers through eBay or directly, some of them  were shipped  from Germany. Service was 5 star ️, tyres delivered within 3-5 days, package in clear plastic foil and all labels, dhl courier also great service. I was fitting them in friend of mine garage however he has changed his job and finding a tyre garage that are happy to fit is almost mission impossible or they charge extortionate amount £15-25 per tyre so this wipes any savings. Plus in an event of a tyres issue like manufacturer defect or poorly fitted you have almost 0 chances to make a successful claim. The fitters will say it’s from the tyres and the tyre seller will say it’s from the fitters. The best way to avoid this potential hassle is to,buy tyres from the same company who will fit them and use any available discounts codes, promotions, or stock clearance. Just book online and turn up at the date and time, they will fit your new tyres and job done, any issues afterwards you can return to them and ask for help, you pay them for a fully fitted tyres, no excuse can be made. 👍

Currently deal at https://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/consumer/special-offers/goodyear-promotion

https://www.justtyres.co.uk

https://www.blackcircles.com

https://www.protyre.co.uk

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk

• Thanks 1

Toyos feel much nicer already, noticeably quieter too which I didn’t expect. Will be a better test tomorrow when I do a 100mile round trip to Manchester. Tyre pressures ranged between 33psi and 42psi! All even now at 34. Sailed through MOT too.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MrZardoz said:

Toyos feel much nicer already, noticeably quieter too which I didn’t expect. Will be a better test tomorrow when I do a 100mile round trip to Manchester. Tyre pressures ranged between 33psi and 42psi! All even now at 34. Sailed through MOT too.

Well done 👍 

Enjoy your trip tomorrow 🚙🛣