Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sat Nav "glitches"

Marcusthehat

On our June 2021 Rav4.

Aside from the very poor initially displayed route mapping and this route  mapping being displayed for an all too brief period, ditto for the time allowed to choose "fast" "eco" or "short". This as compared to an truely anchient TomTom for reference.

Anyway,

When we were leaving Droitwich Spa yesterday morning it took us right at a set of traffic lights instead of straight on(which we knew to be correct) and then about a 1/2 mile later took us right round a roundabout and back down to the same traffic lights to turn right again?

Then multiple phantom/non existant 40 mph warnings on the Motorway, presumably for long since completed roadworks? Since there was no signs of road works and the traffic flow was uninterrupted/unslowed.

Then somewhere after Carlisle(and we were going to Cairnryan) it attempted to needlessly take us off route 3 or 4 times, to both sides of the route. I know this route, there is only 1 route, there were no roadworks, etc etc

But it had been updated for the temporary 30mph restrictions associated with the 3 day APF Show we were attending a couple of days before.

What gives?

P.S.

How does the sat nav be updated with temporary speed limits et al?

When the 3 route choices are displayed IMMEDIATELY touch the map display.  This will give you a little longer to select the route. 

If your system is Touch to Go temporary limits will have been coded into the last semi annual update.  As for new temporary limits they will be picked up by the car sensors. 

I do not use the OEM navigation system just too flaky and has the habit of rerouting you through all sorts of mysterious roads, a real magical mystery tour.

Just stick to AA and overall happy with the results. I really use Waze which gives you up to date road conditions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

I do not use the OEM navigation system just too flaky and has the habit of rerouting you through all sorts of mysterious roads, a real magical mystery tour.

Just stick to AA and overall happy with the results. I really use Waze which gives you up to date road conditions.

Why, why, oh why is Toyota's Sat Nav system so "flaky"?

This trip was the first time we had  occasion to use  the Toyota Sat Nav in ernest.

Anyway we are resolved to probably buy a proper TomTom or Garmin.

A cheap price to pay for marital harmony!

It did not help that the postcode given on the website for our destination was entirely incorrect(a first in my experience) and only after repeated "go arounds" did we then think to dial in the actual address.( It was dark and we were tired, did not help)

Cheers,

Marcus

22 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Has your car not got Android Auto or Apple Play? So much easier to connect the phone and use Google or Apple maps?

I shall leave such interactions to the SMT to set up, her being much more tech-savvy.

36 minutes ago, Marcusthehat said:

It did not help that the postcode given on the website for our destination was entirely incorrect

You can't really blame the sat nav if you enter the wrong destination! 🙂

Each to his / her own but in my recent longer trip I found the build-in sat nav to be faultless, and I wouldn't have done better with AA and Google Maps ...

Speed limit sign recognition (that Google Maps doesn't have anyway) leaves a little to be desired at times. It is better at detecting when speed limits are applied than when they finish ...

Garmin v Touch to Go

T2G will accept a full address by voice but not a partial one.  In contrast my Garmin will accept '1 Main Street' or '1 High Street' if you are looking for a village.  It was just more intuitive.

• Like 1

Agree with much of the above. Toyota sat nav is poor to the point of being dangerous. I am losing count of how often it tries to take me off routes I know for absolutely no good reason. TBH it would be better to not bother, save money Toyota and bin it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

You can't really blame the sat nav if you enter the wrong destination! 🙂

Each to his / her own but in my recent longer trip I found the build-in sat nav to be faultless, and I wouldn't have done better with AA and Google Maps ...

Speed limit sign recognition (that Google Maps doesn't have anyway) leaves a little to be desired at times. It is better at detecting when speed limits are applied than when they finish ...

I've used the Toyota system for shorter journeys when too lazy to plug the phone in and found it OK for routing short journeys but I prefer the interface of others on Android Auto. I can't comment on longer journeys but maybe when it has more options for alternatives is when it does silly things?

Now I've got wireless AA, it just loads up when I start so is always there and on, even when not navigating. I think the road sign assist works reasonably well but find the speed limits in TomTom are more accurate, apart from about 5 mile radius around me that has a default speed limit of 20, rather than 30 (part of the Welsh Government trial 😕) and some of the roads haven't updated the limit yet on the maps. The combo of both is plenty enough to make sure I know what the limit is! I was using Amigo from TomTom (free) but the last update broke it on AA, so I'm on TomTom Go (£12 per year which I paid for when I first got the car). I've used Google and Waze as well, which are perfectly fine but TomTom works better for me.

Ps. I had a very strange experience in a Yaris courtesy car with RSA. Everything was set up to work in miles, all the display was in mph and the signs displayed properly, but they would indicate overspeed based on km/h. Eg. The sign showed 30mph but would turn red as soon as I got up to 19mph!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Agree with much of the above. Toyota sat nav is poor to the point of being dangerous. I am losing count of how often it tries to take me off routes I know for absolutely no good reason. TBH it would be better to not bother, save money Toyota and bin it.  

I think they have already binned it on the latest gen Yaris, or at least on most trims, in favour of people just using Android Auto or CarPlay. To be fair, I think a lot of manufacturers have done similar with people turning to smartphone apps it's not cost effective to develop and maintain their own systems. I think some of the latest models (Yaris I mean, but I believe the MY23 RAV will as well) are now coming through with the Toyota Connect navigation with live maps. Be interesting to see how this compares (and what it costs!) when the wife's car eventually arrives.

Nlee, Smart Connect seems to work well though I find the daylight display insipid. Although it is supposed to be dynamic there are still differences between mapped speed limits and radar detected ones. 

When in a Specs zone it displays an accurate Satnav speed. If you exceed the speed limit for X seconds by Y amount it flashes an orange or red against the speed.  Not exceeded the speed limits often enough to judge the details. 

• Thanks 1

In our case, when the wife attempted to "re-program" it by re-entering Cairnryan as a destination from afresh, it attempted to take us on a massive unneeded loop "oop Nth" to swing us back down via Ayr, in so far as could be established from the crummy mapping.

Cheers allmth

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links