Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo X Cross Space Saver Kit Fitted

152bobby

Bobby,

No proper Boot Liner then but all other Trim underneath is part of the Conversion ?

Surely the Spare Wheel Kit is standard in European Countries ?

Tel

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add a quick note to say tyres that have been temporary repaired using a can of gunk aren't then able to be permanently repaired properly by a qualified tyre fitter, so unless you have a spare wheel or are able to call out a mobile tyre repair service, then using the can of gunk would mean that you'd need a brand new tyre when able to fix the puncture roperly.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-sealant

Personally I've always insisted on having a spare just in case, albeit with the disadvantage of the added extra weight and impact on performance / fuel economy.

Not sure the reality of using the can of gunk if needed is very well known.

In addition to the can of gunk, I also carry a little case which contains thin sticks of rubber that are threaded into a thick needle and then inserted into the puncture hole to create a seal.  You have a better chance of the tyre inflating whenever you pump the gunk inside.  Learned this trick from a very experienced motorcyclist.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jimota said:

There is a wide range of tyre repair kits and plugs available on Amazon.

We all have our own views and opinions and hands on experiences with these scenarios, however, the bottom line is (in my opinion 🤣), you just can't beat the real deal and that's a physical replacement spare wheel, which I now have in all three cars in our family.

• Like 5

I had a blow out on the sidewall of our Astra yesterday, inch long, doubt gunk would fixed that, thankfully had a space saver in the boot, swapped over, had pump up space saver as it never been used, down to local tyre fitters, 2 new rear tyres and back to full fitness in about an hour or so. Shows you never know, few of my other punctures been slow ones and even plug fixed, but not this one. 

• Like 1

Forgot to say that the only time I used the repair kit, I didn’t need to use the gunk as the plug created a perfect seal.  Obviously, this is a temporary measure to enable you to drive to the nearest garage/tyre fitter.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimota said:

Forgot to say that the only time I used the repair kit, I didn’t need to use the gunk as the plug created a perfect seal.  Obviously, this is a temporary measure to enable you to drive to the nearest garage/tyre fitter.  

Cool. I've never used that type of temporary repair before - was there any problem getting the permanent fix done? If not that might be the best alternative compromise to the can of gunk. Thanks.

• Like 1

An added issue it seems at the moment the 18 inch tyres for the Aygo X are not readily available “off the shelf” and are expensive, so you may have to wait a few days to get one replaced. Hopefully this situation will improve.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the puncture was quite close to the tyre side wall so it couldn’t be repaired.  Additionally, it takes a fair amount of force to push the plug into the hole so this method might not suit everyone.  After locating the actual puncture hole it only took me a few minutes to get back on the road again.

• Like 1

I find that if the puncture is repairable by goop, chances are you could put 60psi into the tyre and drive to a garage with the puncture to get a new tyre - Almost all the punctures I've had I've been able to do this.

Where I haven't been able to do this, the puncture is either so big the goop wouldn't have been able to seal it anyway, or is in the sidewall, which the goop also can't seal.

That's why in my view the goop is practically useless; The fact that most tyre places will not repair the tyre if it's used (Even tho' it says the contrary on the can) just makes it more than useless!

Give me a spare tyre, even a space-saver, any day of the week!

I do like the idea of those sticky sticks tho' - Must get some at some point as they seem to work really well!

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I find that if the puncture is repairable by goop, chances are you could put 60psi into the tyre and drive to a garage with the puncture to get a new tyre - Almost all the punctures I've had I've been able to do this.

Where I haven't been able to do this, the puncture is either so big the goop wouldn't have been able to seal it anyway, or is in the sidewall, which the goop also can't seal.

That's why in my view the goop is practically useless; The fact that most tyre places will not repair the tyre if it's used (Even tho' it says the contrary on the can) just makes it more than useless!

Give me a spare tyre, even a space-saver, any day of the week!

I do like the idea of those sticky sticks tho' - Must get some at some point as they seem to work really well!

Totally agree, am still kissing my space-saver tyre every morning before going to work 😁 after finding out the M4 Yaris  had a one.

• Like 1

Must admit, I was *very* surprised it did! It made me feel like Toyota have been listening to us begging them to give us our spare tyres back!

I know they want to bring down the CO2 emissions, but to me safety trumps a tiny CO2 reduction, plus now that car tax isn't based on CO2 any more, apart from the first year gouge, there's basically no benefit to penny-pinching things for the sake of the CO2 rating.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else been able to get hold of a space saver tyre or just any spare tyre for the Aygo X?

When I ordered the car, I was told I could get a space saver tyre..now the sales rep is saying after speaking to the parts dept, it is not possible as Toyota do not manufacture them for this model. I've been searching for ages to see if I can get anything but even the Toyota website claims there is no option to get a tyre with it. 

Apparently it is possible but I don't understand why Toyota are claiming otherwise. 

Yes according to Bobby Mc. 

Phone his Parts Dept.

Tel

9 hours ago, Rhi37 said:

Has anyone else been able to get hold of a space saver tyre or just any spare tyre for the Aygo X?

When I ordered the car, I was told I could get a space saver tyre..now the sales rep is saying after speaking to the parts dept, it is not possible as Toyota do not manufacture them for this model. I've been searching for ages to see if I can get anything but even the Toyota website claims there is no option to get a tyre with it. 

Apparently it is possible but I don't understand why Toyota are claiming otherwise. 

If you had read this thread, you would have found a complete answer to your question..  You will find part numbers, descriptions, prices and photos of mine installed in my Aygo X..  Your Toyota dealer needs more training !!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

If you had read this thread, you would have found a complete answer to your question..  You will find part numbers, descriptions, prices and photos of mine installed in my Aygo X..  Your Toyota dealer needs more training !!

Apologies, my original post was unclear.

I have read the thread and found all the details you provided very helpful. I also noticed that others on this thread have asked about getting the kit.

My question was has anyone, other than yourself, been able to get hold of one of these? I've not seen anyone else post anywhere online that they have been able to get one. 

I agree that my toyota dealer needs more training as when I quoted these parts to them, they were oblivious. 

Just out of curiosity, try another dealer.  Don't tell them your experience with your current dealer and see what they come up with.  And if it's not good news, present them with the part numbers.👍

Seems fishy ,

I hope Devon Aygo comments.

My Dealer has links to Burnaston.

I will ask Parts next time I drive past there.

Tel

• 4 weeks later...

Just spent an hour with an experienced parts chap at my main dealer. I have bought Toyota's from for decades and am having may problems getting the wheel.

I took down the print outs from Bobby and all seemed well. Ordered last week and was called in to see the problem.

All the foam box parts and screw arived but no wheel. I was shown one of the black box sections and it had the same part number on its label as the one on the sheet called temporary spare wheel -09126-0h020. No wheel.

After a coffee and an hour the parts chap who I have known for decades came back and said he had found a wheel that will fit and I got the call today. Went down and he offered it up and it was clear it was no good as it was 4-5 inches smaller in diameter than the wheels on my pure X. The bolt patern was the same but clearly not usable.

He said he wouldn't be beaten and will get back to me.

Just now I have done the obvious that I should have done a week ago and measured the space in the boot that is recessed out to take the wheel. It is recessed in a curve in the tail part for a wheel and the measurement from that point to the seat where it will touch is maximum 570mm. It is probably less as the seat is sloping as well as the recess in the tail gate so it will be a struggle to get anything with a diameter of more than 550mm.

I then measured the diameter of the wheel on the car and "flipping heck" it is 670mm. All advisers say up to 3% larger or smaller is the limit of difference. I estimate the one I saw today at about 15% difference. I wish I had measured it so I knew exactly.

So, I might have just wasted £94 on the box sections and screw. 

As an ex engineer and toolmaker I am now struggling to see how a wheel of a safe size in diameter could fit in there unless the seats can be moved forward by 5 inches. 

I will PM Bobby to see if he can guide me on how he managed it. I hope he can as I am not willing to put a wheel on that is so much smaller than the other three.

5 hours ago, bradlad said:

Just spent an hour with an experienced parts chap at my main dealer. I have bought Toyota's from for decades and am having may problems getting the wheel.

I took down the print outs from Bobby and all seemed well. Ordered last week and was called in to see the problem.

All the foam box parts and screw arived but no wheel. I was shown one of the black box sections and it had the same part number on its label as the one on the sheet called temporary spare wheel -09126-0h020. No wheel.

After a coffee and an hour the parts chap who I have known for decades came back and said he had found a wheel that will fit and I got the call today. Went down and he offered it up and it was clear it was no good as it was 4-5 inches smaller in diameter than the wheels on my pure X. The bolt patern was the same but clearly not usable.

Just now I have done the obvious that I should have done a week ago and measured the space in the boot that is recessed out to take the wheel. It is recessed in a curve in the tail part for a wheel and the measurement from that point to the seat where it will touch is maximum 570mm. It is probably less as the seat is sloping as well as the recess in the tail gate so it will be a struggle to get anything with a diameter of more than 550mm.

I then measured the diameter of the wheel on the car and "flipping heck" it is 670mm. All advisers say up to 3% larger or smaller is the limit of difference. I estimate the one I saw today at about 15% difference. I wish I had measured it so I knew exactly.

As an ex engineer and toolmaker I am now struggling to see how a wheel of a safe size in diameter could fit in there unless the seats can be moved forward by 5 inches. 

I will PM Bobby to see if he can guide me on how he managed it. I hope he can as I am not willing to put a wheel on that is so much smaller than the other three.

Since the scan was uploaded it would appear Toyota have corrected/updated the installation manual, the wheel/tyre part number is 42600-0H411 see HERE

5 hours ago, bradlad said:

I have not actually checked to see if the tyre actually fits...I guess I assumed Toyota know what they are doing....but ...I'm going to get it out of the boot and line it up with one of the wheels to see if it "looks" like it will fit 🤣

Out of interest as I'm having one fitted on Wednesday, how much boot space is lost - as in the reduced vertical space is lost by the floor having been raised up by the spare wheel? Thanks.

3 minutes ago, TheRealBobT said:

Out of interest as I'm having one fitted on Wednesday, how much boot space is lost - as in the reduced vertical space is lost by the floor having been raised up by the spare wheel? Thanks.

PXL_20220928_121544943.thumb.jpg.801844a64d2c36a5295a5ed4958450d5.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links